Dual DC Return Pump - Manifold Design Feedback

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef community,

This is my first post so please give feedback/forgive my mistakes! I will be posting a build guide in a couple months but I have started to plan out my 93 gallon cube build. I am a computer engineer so I plan to make this a very technical build but I will document/share everything (if successful) so others can duplicate. Please let me know your thoughts on this design.

Considerations:
  • Must have redundancy (all equipment must remain functioning with a pump failure/no single point of failure).
  • Must have remote monitoring that can identify equipment failures.
  • Must strive for energy efficiency (no unnecessary pumps).
Design proposal:
ReefSumpReturnPlubming V1.jpeg

Explanation of design:
Check valves at each pump outlet prevents major back siphoning. Check valves off of each Y prevent a stronger pump from cross-feeding the weaker/failed pump's line. Flow sensor will be used to determine proper range required for manifold equipment to function and adjust each DC pump individually to maintain this range. DC pumps will be used in ramp up/down modes to create turbulence in the tank whilst maintaining a proper ratio/flow in the manifold.

Concerns:
  • Head pressure/flow to display tank.
  • Additional gate valve at start of the manifold may be required depending on final flow requirements of tank and manifold.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think your check valves at the y will do anything.

If I was doing a dual pump system I would have one that just returned to the tank and one that had your manifold.

OP
OP
T

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think your check valves at the y will do anything.

If I was doing a dual pump system I would have one that just returned to the tank and one that had your manifold.

How would you address the need for redundancy on the manifold? Also, if the pressure from one pump was greater than than the other wouldn't the back-pressure close the check valve of the weaker pump?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to orient the checks at the manifold Y facing upwards though. They won’t work facing downwards.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best redundancy is the flow pumps in your tank being on a different outlet than your return pumps. I think that manifolds are a pain and unreliable. I also think that dual return pumps are pain too. Also, if reliability is your number one concern, then skip the DC pump and get a Fluval or Laguna other other Askoll block pump which last for decades.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you address the need for redundancy on the manifold? Also, if the pressure from one pump was greater than than the other wouldn't the back-pressure close the check valve of the weaker pump?

I would question if redundancy on the manifold is necessary. If you determine that it is required a second reactor should be used.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want to ramp the flow of the return pumps if you have a skimmer in the sump. Ramped pumps will cuase a variable sump water level which will cause your skimmer to go haywire. Also your ato wont know what the proper water level is in the sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back