mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this work?
oatey-pipe-cement-primer-cleaner-308841-64_1000.jpg
No. That's grey colored for electric conduit.
Use this one https://www.oatey.com/2374310/Product/Oatey-Medium-Clear-PVC-Cement

31019b_91332M_16oz-1.jpg

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 Weren't these overflows listed at around 1500 gph when you all first released them? Have you all changed anything since then, or has it been a matter of real world statistics now to list at the higher gph?

I have 3 and love them btw!

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 Weren't these overflows listed at around 1500 gph when you all first released them? Have you all changed anything since then, or has it been a matter of real world statistics now to list at the higher gph?

I have 3 and love them btw!

Awesome Thanks for the support!

Yes originally we rated them at 1500 gph until we were able to get some more testing done and some beta users feedback. No changes were made since introduction of the Shadow, we just wanted to under rate them at first. With the 3 x 1.5" drains it is able to handle the 2500 GPH that our older 20" model was built for. We have people running multiples on very large systems with Hammer Head pumps running no problem. 1500 GPH is still the sweet spot for these.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Thanks for the support!

Yes originally we rated them at 1500 gph until we were able to get some more testing done and some beta users feedback. No changes were made since introduction of the Shadow, we just wanted to under rate them at first. With the 3 x 1.5" drains it is able to handle the 2500 GPH that our older 20" model was built for. We have people running multiples on very large systems with Hammer Head pumps running no problem. 1500 GPH is still the sweet spot for these.

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification! I can't come close to pushing any of mine to the limit with my current setups, but maybe one day! Lol Thinking of an all sps 125 and letting the return pump rip.

These overflows are fantastic, just wish my 200 display had one instead of dual corners. Next time for sure!

OP
OP
Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with one overflow as I just placed the order for the 240g. I’ve had a few people tell me that they are running just one on similar size tanks and it’s doing just fine. I may be sacrificing some surface skimming, however with two Gyre XF250’s on each side of the tank, and the overflow in the middle, I feel shouldn’t have any issues. It may be a little louder than running two overflows, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

On a side note, I just just received my Red Mercury CL-44 sump and ATO last week and I am beyond excited. The design and craftsmanship of this sump and ATO is amazing. Anyone looking to buy a sump, should look no further than Synergy Reef! Their work in my opinion is unparalleled. Having the one overflow will simplify the plumbing and keep the stand interior looking nice and clean. I really didn’t want to have it congested with excessive plumbing which would take away from such a beautiful sump.

I’m looking for 5-7 times turnover and the one overflow should deliver that without any problems. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the second unopened overflow as I won’t be needing it. It’s beyond Synergy Reef’s return period, so if anyone is interested in picking one up let me know.

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice!

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Setting up a 210gal tank myself. Having it drilled for 2x synergy overflows. Glad to see the OEM says its definitely a doable thing. ;)

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it safe to say having the larger capacity will make it easier to keep the tank running silently?

Waterlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I'm absolutely lost. I have a 7' long 420 gallon acrylic tank that I'm trying to figure out how to plumb. I just received 2 of the 20" overflows from Synergy Reef but I'm at a standstill on how to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to wrap my head around what's being communicated but it's not computing. Maybe I need pictures, lol... Thanks in advance.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm new as well and figure I'll go through some learning experiences and develop some personal preferences. However, regarding the overflow volume, I personally want to prioritize silence and wanted to make sure the overflow flow rate exceeded what I may want to end up doing. I think the rule of thumb is generally 5-10x tank capacity through the sump. If the 20" is similar to the 16" (as plumbing diameter determines it) your 2x' 2500gph should be plenty of room to be in that range.

OP
OP
Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my tank from GlassCages and it turns out they had their minds set on me using two overflows instead of just one as I had planned. Just purchased all the Valves, fittings, and pvc to plumb and this weekend I plan on building the stand. I’m thinking 40” high to allow for additional room for plumbing underneath the tank. I’ll be using 2x6’s and the King of DIY stand design as a template, it’ll be overkill, but better safe than sorry. Questions as to the location of the gate valves for the primary lines on the overflows. A) Is it alright to place the gate valves closer to the sump rather than directly underneath the ove flow? With my setup this is going to be my best acces point for them. B) Do the gate valves have to be vertical in order for them to work properly in this setup? The creative plumbing I’m going to have to come up with, may lend to different positioning for the valves.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my tank from GlassCages and it turns out they had their minds set on me using two overflows instead of just one as I had planned. Just purchased all the Valves, fittings, and pvc to plumb and this weekend I plan on building the stand. I’m thinking 40” high to allow for additional room for plumbing underneath the tank. I’ll be using 2x6’s and the King of DIY stand design as a template, it’ll be overkill, but better safe than sorry. Questions as to the location of the gate valves for the primary lines on the overflows. A) Is it alright to place the gate valves closer to the sump rather than directly underneath the ove flow? With my setup this is going to be my best acces point for them. B) Do the gate valves have to be vertical in order for them to work properly in this setup? The creative plumbing I’m going to have to come up with, may lend to different positioning for the valves.

@Saltwtrnewby Well that sucks that they didn't listen to what you wanted.... But either way it will be fine. The valves will be fine near the sump. We just recommend that people do not put the valves in a remote location like a basement sump area. They do not need to be vertical. Horizontal will be fine.

OP
OP
Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltwtrnewby Well that sucks that they didn't listen to what you wanted.... But either way it will be fine. The valves will be fine near the sump. We just recommend that people do not put the valves in a remote location like a basement sump area. They do not need to be vertical. Horizontal will be fine.

Yea it did, but in hindsight I think a 240g really should have the two of the overflows as I was originally thinking. In trying to figure out my plumbing scheme My brother in-law recommended capping the Emergency lines on both overflows, y-ing the secondaries together, and runnning the primaries from each overflow independent all the way to the sump. It would cut down on plumbing and keep my connections at the CL-44 clean. I’d have the primaries going to the bulkheads at the filter sock compartment and the line from the secondaries going to be bulkhead at the refugium. Aside from losing emergency lines as an extra backup measure, will this configuration work efficiently and silently?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it did, but in hindsight I think a 240g really should have the two of the overflows as I was originally thinking. In trying to figure out my plumbing scheme My brother in-law recommended capping the Emergency lines on both overflows, y-ing the secondaries together, and runnning the primaries from each overflow independent all the way to the sump. It would cut down on plumbing and keep my connections at the CL-44 clean. I’d have the primaries going to the bulkheads at the filter sock compartment and the line from the secondaries going to be bulkhead at the refugium. Aside from losing emergency lines as an extra backup measure, will this configuration work efficiently and silently?

@Saltwtrnewby Capping off the emergency drains is a bad idea and not recommended on any tank larger than 40 gallons. They are needed during startup of the overflow and when dialing in the overflow. What you will need to do is tie both primaries, secondary and emergency drains to each other. You will need a gate valve under each overflow on the primary drains and then T them together. So you will still just have 3 x 1.5:" drains going to the sump. You will not need independent primaries since you will be running under 2500 GPH. You will plumb the primary and secondary drains to the socks and the emergency to the fuge bulkhead.

OP
OP
Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltwtrnewby Capping off the emergency drains is a bad idea and not recommended on any tank larger than 40 gallons. They are needed during startup of the overflow and when dialing in the overflow. What you will need to do is tie both primaries, secondary and emergency drains to each other. You will need a gate valve under each overflow on the primary drains and then T them together. So you will still just have 3 x 1.5:" drains going to the sump. You will not need independent primaries since you will be running under 2500 GPH. You will plumb the primary and secondary drains to the socks and the emergency to the fuge bulkhead.

Well I successfully plumbed everything and was able to Y all 6 lines into 3, having them cleanly connect to the CL-44 sump. I’ll try and upload photos for ya’ll to see, it really turned out nice. Now I’m shifting my focus on silencing the overflows. It’s not terribly loud with the gate valves for both primaries wide open, but noticed that the only way I get them silent is if I have my primaries practically closed. I know this is greatly reducing my flow/turn over rate which I’m not thrilled about, however it does pretty much eliminate all sound. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions on dialing the dual overflows in without having to restrict so much of the primaries? I have Reef Octopus Varios 8 return pump that I’m running at 40% right now...not sure if I need to mess with the power of the return pump as well as the gate valves to achieve the desired affect ( maximum flow rate with silent overflows). I appreciate your help! Thanks!

OP
OP
Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics. They don’t do the sump justice! It really is a piece of art. I couldn’t be happier with the overflowseithee, Super sleek and easy to install!

B0F13625-2D6E-4E2A-9CA5-965403920F9E.jpeg

C4D88D3C-BD36-4CDE-AB4F-4D302F266DE5.jpeg

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I successfully plumbed everything and was able to Y all 6 lines into 3, having them cleanly connect to the CL-44 sump. I’ll try and upload photos for ya’ll to see, it really turned out nice. Now I’m shifting my focus on silencing the overflows. It’s not terribly loud with the gate valves for both primaries wide open, but noticed that the only way I get them silent is if I have my primaries practically closed. I know this is greatly reducing my flow/turn over rate which I’m not thrilled about, however it does pretty much eliminate all sound. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions on dialing the dual overflows in without having to restrict so much of the primaries? I have Reef Octopus Varios 8 return pump that I’m running at 40% right now...not sure if I need to mess with the power of the return pump as well as the gate valves to achieve the desired affect ( maximum flow rate with silent overflows). I appreciate your help! Thanks!

It takes a little practice and I remember having the same thoughts as you when I first set mine up. You likely just need to increase the flow from your return pump. Then dial in your main return overflow(s) so that they again match the water in rate without overflowing into the secondary drain(s). If you hear water overflowing into your secondary drain with higher flow, it isn't dialed in yet.

PAreefer08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely stealing this idea!!! The only difference for me is that my sump is in the basement. I think Synergy would suggest that I keep my gate valves on the first floor where my DT is though.

Did you use 1.5" PVC the whole way then? or did you go bigger?

I have 2 of Synergy's overflows as well. But I have the original 16" and the newer 16". So the older one has 1" drains while the newer one has 1.5" drains. I was thinking of either wying them into 2" or just keeping 1.5"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back