Dual Synergy Shadow Overflows

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I successfully plumbed everything and was able to Y all 6 lines into 3, having them cleanly connect to the CL-44 sump. I’ll try and upload photos for ya’ll to see, it really turned out nice. Now I’m shifting my focus on silencing the overflows. It’s not terribly loud with the gate valves for both primaries wide open, but noticed that the only way I get them silent is if I have my primaries practically closed. I know this is greatly reducing my flow/turn over rate which I’m not thrilled about, however it does pretty much eliminate all sound. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions on dialing the dual overflows in without having to restrict so much of the primaries? I have Reef Octopus Varios 8 return pump that I’m running at 40% right now...not sure if I need to mess with the power of the return pump as well as the gate valves to achieve the desired affect ( maximum flow rate with silent overflows). I appreciate your help! Thanks!

It takes a little practice and I remember having the same thoughts as you when I first set mine up. You likely just need to increase the flow from your return pump. Then dial in your main return overflow(s) so that they again match the water in rate without overflowing into the secondary drain(s). If you hear water overflowing into your secondary drain with higher flow, it isn't dialed in yet.

Forgive me for bringing up an older thread but I'm approaching this situation now and was hoping to hear how its going @Saltwtrnewby

Per above, I don't think closing your primaries effects your turnover. Your return pump supplies water to the tank no matter what position the gates valves are in. It just comes back on a different pipe. I figured sincedual overflows utilizes so little of the max flow of the combined returns the gate valves would need to be pretty well closed to keep a smooth clinged flow down the secondary drains.

Some questions, maybe @mixer911 can help?

Did T'ing the primary lines together make anything more difficult? Are the two primary gates opened the same amount roughly or different, presumeably cuz of the different pipe length?

Also, does T'ing together the secondaries create more noise? It seems the silencing function of the secondary relies on a smoothed flow clinged to the pipe side wall. If you T two together, does the converging flow become turbulent and thus noisy?

OP
OP
Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for bringing up an older thread but I'm approaching this situation now and was hoping to hear how its going @Saltwtrnewby

Per above, I don't think closing your primaries effects your turnover. Your return pump supplies water to the tank no matter what position the gates valves are in. It just comes back on a different pipe. I figured sincedual overflows utilizes so little of the max flow of the combined returns the gate valves would need to be pretty well closed to keep a smooth clinged flow down the secondary drains.

Some questions, maybe @mixer911 can help?

Did T'ing the primary lines together make anything more difficult? Are the two primary gates opened the same amount roughly or different, presumeably cuz of the different pipe length?

Also, does T'ing together the secondaries create more noise? It seems the silencing function of the secondary relies on a smoothed flow clinged to the pipe side wall. If you T two together, does the converging flow become turbulent and thus noisy?

Hey Skep, sorry about the delayed response. I’ve been dealing with a Dino bloom and an ich outbreak in the tank. But other than that the flow is great! Lol. Gotta laugh at things at this point. If this hobby were so easy everyone would be in it. The dual overflow is working great. I kept all drain lines at the default 1 1/2” diameter. Both of my gate valves on each primary I’d say are about 90% closed. The flow is more than enough and it’s running pretty close to silent. I didn’t T the primaries together until after each gate valve. As far as I know it didn’t affect anything, the only issue you run into is the room under the tank to do it with. If you are going through a wall into a closet or fish room you won’t have any trouble. Feel free to shoot any other questions. I’m really happy with the dual overflows, it’s working out great with fantastic surface skimming as well.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Skep, sorry about the delayed response. I’ve been dealing with a Dino bloom and an ich outbreak in the tank. But other than that the flow is great! Lol. Gotta laugh at things at this point. If this hobby were so easy everyone would be in it. The dual overflow is working great. I kept all drain lines at the default 1 1/2” diameter. Both of my gate valves on each primary I’d say are about 90% closed. The flow is more than enough and it’s running pretty close to silent. I didn’t T the primaries together until after each gate valve. As far as I know it didn’t affect anything, the only issue you run into is the room under the tank to do it with. If you are going through a wall into a closet or fish room you won’t have any trouble. Feel free to shoot any other questions. I’m really happy with the dual overflows, it’s working out great with fantastic surface skimming as well.

@Saltwtrnewby Awesome to hear and thanks for the update!

Back