Dumb Question... 24/7 Lighting?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I started up a Proclear Prostar 150 in the showroom of our HVAC business. (It’s a very nice showroom lol)
I have a Fluval Evo in my office there and I usually cover the sides of the tank at night to black it out because of a very bright security light just outside.
Our shop never gets completely dark - the room the new big tank is in stays very dimly lit all night long, for security reasons. I have a lot of rock work in this tank with many caves and hiding places but should I think about covering this tank at night as well? Will the ambient lighting in the room stress the fish out even if they have caves to sleep in at night?
Also, I was given a hand-me-down JBJ light bar which we do not know the exact model number of and of course, do not have the manual for. I’ll be upgrading the lights soon, but this is what I have for now. The best setting I can find sets the lights at 5% blue for the whole night. I can’t figure out how to get them to completely turn off. Is it bad to leave them on? Should I just manually switch them off?

TL, DR; lights get really low but never completely turn off... do fish get stressed because of this?

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s a pic of my aquascape for reference:

Attachments

• 55D7B4E9-1E9D-48B1-A6E8-5B4B55D76A8C.jpeg
    55D7B4E9-1E9D-48B1-A6E8-5B4B55D76A8C.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 56

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank in my office that has 24/7 security lights on, plus some light from the hallway. The fish seem to.have gotten used to it. When I check the waze camera, I still see them swimming around at night, but they don't seem stressed or anything. Most of the fish go into their caves to sleep, some swim around all night. Doesn't seem to matter either way for them.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's an interesting question and curious about what @Jay Hemdal OR @Dana Riddle might know about fish sleeping.

Here's my personal observations..... When I first put "night lights" in my tank (blue LED light strips), I was leaving them ON 24/7. What I noticed was that my fish never "slept." I defined sleep as my fish disappearing into the rocks and not being seen, and with my Hippo tang, wedging itself in between the back glass and rocks. When I first discovered this tang wedged back there, I thought it was dead and tried to prod it out, only to discover it swimming out and away. That's when I observed this tang wedged into that same spot every night, supposedly sleeping in my mind.

So again, night lights ON, fish always swimming about. I just thought it best that fish got total darkness to allow them to disappear into the rocks and get their rest. So I went back to total darkness every night. I now use these "night lights" as part of my early morning/late evening lighting schedule.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my facility, we have security night lights and we also have lights on over tanks with pelagic sharks (so they won’t run into walls in the dark). When I’ve been here overnight, the fish mostly don’t sleep (except blue tangs and triggers). Most of the fish are just cruising around. Is this chronically stressful? I can’t say for sure, but nightlights are pretty standard for public aquariums like us. The bigger issue is turning lights on suddenly during the night....
Jay

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the good info guys! This makes me feel a lot better. I was not looking forward to needing to cover this tank every night for a lot of different reasons.
We do have one of our Nest cameras pointed right at the tank, so I have been checking in on the fish that are in there right now. The pair of clowns cuddle peacefully in the corner at night so I can only assume they are "sleeping."

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back