e-zlight's 55g & future 180g

e-zlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm new around here. I have a rough history with tanks, but am now on the right track, and moving forward.

I currently have a 55 gallon setup with the normal crabs, snails, starfish, a diamond goby, false perc clown, and a green mandarin. I FINALLY have corals in my tank. I know I have a war coral, candy cane, an acan (Don't know which one.) I challenge you guys to ID my corals for me. Cause I have no clue whats in there. :wink: I'm going to be adding rock when it's ready so I can get the corals higher.

Here's a wide view
tankCorals001.jpg

Left side (Anemone is hiding in there)
tankCorals002.jpg

Center (Where all the corals are)
tankCorals003.jpg

Coral
tankCorals005.jpg

More of same coral
tankCorals006.jpg

Candy cane & unknown
tankCorals010.jpg

Unknown
tankCorals012.jpg

Here's a good picture of most of the corals that I just took, because I didn't like the pictures above.
Tank016.jpg

The following three pictures are of the coral on a plug that I'm unsure of. None of the pics are that great.

Tank024.jpg

Tank023.jpg

Tank017.jpg

And here's a picture of my 180 that is waiting patiently to be filled and ran. The left side of the tank HAD rocks in it untill this morning. I'm curing the rock that was there in another tank, so I can redo the aquascaping of the 55. I need to get the corals a lil higher in my tank.

Tank014.jpg

Tank015.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It looks like you are off to a great start. One thing I noticed is it looks like you have an Arrow Crab, and a rather large one at that. They can be questionable as to being reef safe, if they can catch a fish they'll attack it.

I'll use this pic for ID'ing your corals, starting on the left side.
tankCorals003.jpg

Far left is a Blastomussa Merletti, left front I think is also a Blastomussa Merletti, left rear looks like a Chalice, center back left is a Candycane, center left front is a Chalice, center right rear is a War Coral, center right front is a Acan Lord, and far right is a Candycane.

OP
OP
E

e-zlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It looks like you are off to a great start. One thing I noticed is it looks like you have an Arrow Crab, and a rather large one at that. They can be questionable as to being reef safe, if they can catch a fish they'll attack it.

I'll use this pic for ID'ing your corals, starting on the left side.
tankCorals003.jpg

Far left is a Blastomussa Merletti, left front I think is also a Blastomussa Merletti, left rear looks like a Chalice, center back left is a Candycane, center left front is a Chalice, center right rear is a War Coral, center right front is a Acan Lord, and far right is a Candycane.

Thanks. I've lost a couple of emeralds. AT this point I have one with rather large claws, and the other is missing a claw. In the past 3 weeks we've taken 2 others out. We think it might be the arrow. We got the arrow while my tank was fallow to fight bristle worms. I've actually been thinking about taking him back to the LFS, as I'm unsure about whether he should be a long term item in my tank.

The one on the flat on the front left is actually a second war coral frag that someone/something keep flipping over, or moving off the rock. He's MIA on a regular basis, and we have to find him. Another reason why I'm curing rock to add to this tank. Need to glue a few of these guys down.

Lookin good!

Thanks

OP
OP
E

e-zlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lil update on my 55. Here's what she looks like now. I have to upgrade my lights, then I can move corals around where I want them better. With just power compacts, I'm stuck having em all high up. Added probably double the rock, and a few corals.

View from standing back
tank023-1.jpg

New cleaner shrimp
tank022.jpg

Z'clown
tank021.jpg

green Mandarin.
tank018.jpg

Our Diamond goby. He's a cool lil guy.
tank017-1.jpg

Lawnmower blenny. He's gone. For some reason I can't seem to keep these guys. Drip acclimation and all, still can't keep them. :( Longest one survived 3 weeks, but him rotting in my tank also cause it to crash. (a while ago) Don't know why I feel like I "need" one, maybe because I've failed them prior, I'm determined to have one?
tank016-1.jpg

White frogspawn. The rock they're on my wife called her monkey skull. So one day, I drilled a hole in both eye sockets, and glued the plugs in. LOL She laughed.
tank015-1.jpg

Up top you can see my 2 war coral frags on the same rock, and a sps coral. I don't remember the name. It's orange with green polyps. Between those two are a plug with teal acans, Also, very top left you can see my red acans, and the original Blastomussa Merletti's
tank014-1.jpg

Here is a pic slightly left of the last, but this shows my daughters pom pom xanias up top (She picked them out herself by special request, and she bid on them.) The blue (looks purple under my lights) star polyps, and it has a couple of zoas on it right in front, next to the mower, a green leather (I think) I liekd this one. my original acan, which is actually a starfire acan. (Here's the link to the stores website where I got it. Thats the actual rock that was cut in half between me and another fellow. Treasure Coast Corals Starfire Acan)
tank013-1.jpg

Top middle is a ric frag I recently got (He's now down in the sand) Top right is another frag I have no idea what it is, my rock with a bunch of brown buttons on it is below my return, My anemone is down at the bottom. Along with my mandarin & a sandsifting starfish. Also, my candy canes are in here.
tank012.jpg

Close up of my teal acan and my orange/green polyps
tank011.jpg

Here's a close up of my starfire acan, my daughter pom pom's, and my other new acan.
tank010.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

e-zlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a close up of the one I can't remember. My wife thinks they called it a cosmic acan, but I think it was a favia. I dunno.
tank009.jpg

Here's my green thing that I think is cool.
tank008.jpg

The blue star polyps.
tank007.jpg

The ricorida. (I believe)
tank006.jpg

My chalice. The one on the right has lost it's purple, the one on the left is starting to. I dunno why. :( They were purple with lil orange spots on them.
tank004.jpg

tank003.jpg

My LTA that has me concerned. Most of the times he looks good, but occasionally he has me worried. Like these next two pictures. Then he looks ok in the 3 pics after.
tank002.jpg

tank001.jpg

tank026.jpg

tank025.jpg

All pics taken with my blue lights on, and daylights off.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back