Earthworm

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have box turtles that hibernate every winter. I put them away a week ago. One of the main foods I feed them is earthworms.

I had some left over and decided to feed one to my LTA. It wasn't a small one. About 5 inches long. The LTA had it finished in less than 2 minutes. Sucked it up fast.

While walking past the tank leaving for work I had to stop in awe at the size of the LTA. It was huge.

Can this be a bad thing? Earthworms?

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, any non-marine based food isn't exactly ideal. Its not that its necessarily 'bad' for the critter eating it, its just that its not something they were ever designed to process. Its why feeding lettuce or terrestrial plants is generally a bad idea because they have cells and compounds in them the ocean friends just aren't meant to eat.

As for an earthworm, I would be leery. Especially if it had been eating and had soil in its body, I can't see many ocean critters appreciating that, but then again there are ocean worms that do the same thing.

I have box turtles that hibernate every winter. I put them away a week ago. One of the main foods I feed them is earthworms.

I had some left over and decided to feed one to my LTA. It wasn't a small one. About 5 inches long. The LTA had it finished in less than 2 minutes. Sucked it up fast.

While walking past the tank leaving for work I had to stop in awe at the size of the LTA. It was huge.

Can this be a bad thing? Earthworms?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about it too. I have no idea where blood worms come from but I know many people feed them. Are the terrestrial or are they aquatic? And if aquatic, do they live in fresh or salt water?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I " think "blood worms are some type of insect larvae.& freshwater . so are black & white worms.
I'm not positive about this.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackworms are like crack to most reef systems. i used to feed all my tanks 100% blackworms.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.0%
Back