Screenshot_20210711-133724.png
    571.6 KB · Views: 30

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from my Spectrapure files, I've got more if needed.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
The same …Guess it varies based on conditions and how much the guy at the plant had to drink the night before.
It will vary. 160 is not bad at all.

I’m INCREDIBLY lucky with my source water… my TDS is 12-15. :) but I have chloramines….

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blessed and cursed.
You must change your RO filters once every decade
I’ll let you know when I change them. I think the current ones are 10yrs old and still registering 0 after membrane.

with your TDS of 160, yours should last a long time. Couple years for sure.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go the Amazon route

If not spectrapure:

ordered the Amazon O rings. I'll have them Tuesday. I washed the slop sink so the Mrs.can see the positive of having me build the Turbo Powered no holds barred, Super Duper RO/DI with the recycled 12 year old canisters.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one has mentioned it yet I will. (Yes I read all 13 pages). Chloramines probably wouldn’t show up on your pool test strips since the chlorine is bound to an ammonia molecule. Chloramines are also notoriously difficult to remove and often sneak by carbon filters and destroys membranes. Also you said when you contacted the water department there was no mention of Chloramines, did you ask specifically If there were chloramines? I’d find a way to test for chloramines. I would also consider running carbon blocks that are specifically designed to tackle chloramines esecially going through membranes like you have been. Spectrapure makes some. Regardless don’t go cheap on the carbon blocks, they are what’s protecting your membrane, I would also plan on changing them more frequently as others have said. Remember they are processing all the water, including the entire volume of waste water.

I think playing it safe, installing the new unit indoors, using chloramine rated carbon filters, changing them more frequently (4-6 weeks possibly), using quality prefilters and fingers crossed your membrane will last.

Good luck, I hope it all works :)

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the info and pointing out the potential risk with chloramines. Let me say that upon calling my water supply I was given the number to the tech at the plant with whom I discussed my issue and he reassured me that the only purifier used is in fact chlorine and not chloramine.
I've already begun the disassembly of the old system and I'm sanitizing and rebuilding it. Just waiting for the new unit with the membrane so I can get this up and running. I'm really feeling that the heat is a major culprit.
I see that you're in Florida as well. Are you having any problems with your RO/DI? How much water do you produce? What kind of life are you seeing with your filters? Lakeland is not far from me. I'm Lake County

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the temp of your output water? Like I mentioned previously all membranes are rated at 77 deg. But I believe they won’t start seeing damage until around 110-115 degrees. Spectrapure has a max temp of 113.
The higher the water temp, the more water youll process but also the more solids that make it through. Colder will have a higher rejection rate but process much slower.

I don’t think @AZDesertRat is active much anymore. He’d be able to diagnose the issue in about two seconds.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the info and pointing out the potential risk with chloramines. Let me say that upon calling my water supply I was given the number to the tech at the plant with whom I discussed my issue and he reassured me that the only purifier used is in fact chlorine and not chloramine.
I've already begun the disassembly of the old system and I'm sanitizing and rebuilding it. Just waiting for the new unit with the membrane so I can get this up and running. I'm really feeling that the heat is a major culprit.
I see that you're in Florida as well. Are you having any problems with your RO/DI? How much water do you produce? What kind of life are you seeing with your filters? Lakeland is not far from me. I'm Lake County
Have you tested the temp of your output water? Like I mentioned previously all membranes are rated at 77 deg. But I believe they won’t start seeing damage until around 110-115 degrees. Spectrapure has a max temp of 113.
The higher the water temp, the more water youll process but also the more solids that make it through. Colder will have a higher rejection rate but process much slower.

I don’t think @AZDesertRat is active much anymore. He’d be able to diagnose the issue in about two seconds.
OMG yes, I read his post in the past. He seems to be the Guru of RO. I did test the water and posted the results here on this forum. I don't remember exactly what they were but based on time and the numbers it wouldn't have been surprising to see the temp in the 90's

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG yes, I read his post in the past. He seems to be the Guru of RO. I did test the water and posted the results here on this forum. I don't remember exactly what they were but based on time and the numbers it wouldn't have been surprising to see the temp in the 90's
Have you noticed if you are making water significantly faster than the rating of the membrane?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back