Ecotech Radion G5 Speculation

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing the new trend may lean more to the customizable side considering what Orphek is doing. They seem to be a much leaner company which translates to a much faster design to manufacturing timeline.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there is nothing new coming from Radion in the way of a new light any time soon. I would think a G5 would have an increase in out put/power, built in diffuser and Reef link. I really feel like the Radion has the LED layout, spectrum and puck design down. Maybe a larger version than the XR30 like an XR60 with 4 pucks or 2 larger pucks for larger tanks.

It would be nice to see some more larger units so that one doesn't need a dozen to light a large reef. But I guess that would significantly drive down margins.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a sale they do every year. Who knows when they will update their lights. They have a new control tech coming out they may wait who know.:)

vin666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup just summer sales, yearly thing. I dont think it will happen this year. Btw they still dont have a strong contender.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup just summer sales, yearly thing. I dont think it will happen this year. Btw they still dont have a strong contender.

Hello,

(This isn’t personal and I mean with extreme respect), that I understand people like these lights etc. however saying they have no competition is ridiculous, there are tons of lights that easily compare if not better than radions. One thing that still remains horrible is their customer service. For example just in the link provided in this thread from bulk reef supply, half of the people gave them 1 star and all complained the service was terrible. They all can’t be wrong about this, specially for 800. I once tried to work with Ecotech on items and they are not nice. In the same setting, other companies have bent over backwards and sideways for me and most of the time it’s my fault or my error, best part is they have yet charged me to fix anything I accidentally broke. Next, I have one of the easier systems to program and holy heck it’s a nightmare and wire mess.

We can argue price all day but when it comes down to the bottom line, I am not one to say who does what with their own money, if they want it, then roll the dice. However with me for almost 800 I definitely would buy the mitas gh7 over radions, there are others like reefbrites, and others. I have based this on what I get for the money spent, how the colors look to me, since every tank is different corals won’t be the same. The last part is customer service. It’s huge to me, and tanks are stressful enough and expensive enough that the average person doesn’t have back up lights or pumps. I had three of my pumps go out at once and it was nerve racking. Yet the service was so good the company had new ones to me in 2 days. I didn’t have to send mine back first, I didn’t have give them my debit card. I had to email pics of the pumps, serial numbers, and that’s it. Yes I have to send my old ones back (gladly because they don’t work), and I never figured out why, that’s the odd part. But no way would Ecotech do that with any of their return pumps or mp40,60, 10s etc.

So again if people love them then they love them. But more often than not I see people complaining, and upset because this crashed, or that crashed,’or they are backdated who knows what, and they are not very professional. Why would anyone spend that kinda of money and be treated negatively?

In terms of the new g5 they better really up their game because they may be one of the most expensive, but they sure don’t have the technology some of the others do or power. Which is another funny subject, corals only need about 200 par. Why people blast them with 400-700 is kinda odd. But for those who eagerly await them, let’s hope they are worth the money, hype, and if they don’t work you get excellent service.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

(This isn’t personal and I mean with extreme respect), that I understand people like these lights etc. however saying they have no competition is ridiculous, there are tons of lights that easily compare if not better than radions. One thing that still remains horrible is their customer service. For example just in the link provided in this thread from bulk reef supply, half of the people gave them 1 star and all complained the service was terrible. They all can’t be wrong about this, specially for 800. I once tried to work with Ecotech on items and they are not nice. In the same setting, other companies have bent over backwards and sideways for me and most of the time it’s my fault or my error, best part is they have yet charged me to fix anything I accidentally broke. Next, I have one of the easier systems to program and holy heck it’s a nightmare and wire mess.

We can argue price all day but when it comes down to the bottom line, I am not one to say who does what with their own money, if they want it, then roll the dice. However with me for almost 800 I definitely would buy the mitas gh7 over radions, there are others like reefbrites, and others. I have based this on what I get for the money spent, how the colors look to me, since every tank is different corals won’t be the same. The last part is customer service. It’s huge to me, and tanks are stressful enough and expensive enough that the average person doesn’t have back up lights or pumps. I had three of my pumps go out at once and it was nerve racking. Yet the service was so good the company had new ones to me in 2 days. I didn’t have to send mine back first, I didn’t have give them my debit card. I had to email pics of the pumps, serial numbers, and that’s it. Yes I have to send my old ones back (gladly because they don’t work), and I never figured out why, that’s the odd part. But no way would Ecotech do that with any of their return pumps or mp40,60, 10s etc.

So again if people love them then they love them. But more often than not I see people complaining, and upset because this crashed, or that crashed,’or they are backdated who knows what, and they are not very professional. Why would anyone spend that kinda of money and be treated negatively?

In terms of the new g5 they better really up their game because they may be one of the most expensive, but they sure don’t have the technology some of the others do or power. Which is another funny subject, corals only need about 200 par. Why people blast them with 400-700 is kinda odd. But for those who eagerly await them, let’s hope they are worth the money, hype, and if they don’t work you get excellent service.

I stopped reading after you compared Radions to Reefbrites

vin666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

You might be right but thats your opion .... i think radions is still the best thats why many of us still using it. TQ

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped reading after you compared Radions to Reefbrites

Lol well maybe you should consider this “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads only lives once” George R.R. Martin, how about “ Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by reading something true”, Cassandra Clare. What’s funny is I get made fun of because of the lights I use. But what’s better is I have better color and growth than those w radions. (Let’s compare if you think I’m kidding I use the current usa 4117 which are much more powerful than your radion g4 I know because I have a ly-cor 1500 par meter. Not only that but my tank is 34 inches tall, and I still average 150-200 par on the sand bed (240 gallon). But clearly you didn’t read the first sentence because I said I meant this with much respect and professionalism and it wasn’t personal. Yes I have my opinion and your not expected to like it, but I was speaking professionally about them. The reviews can’t all be lies, and more than half were issues. How do you get around that one? Just because it says Ecotech and is pretty on the outside makes it good. I have seen the puck led boards and they still say made in Taiwan, so how is that any better than anything else? Again you have your opinion on them and I respect it, but Ecotech better up their game because several companies have seriously out paced them. I love scientific facts and it’s what I base my findings on, if you have some I’d love to compare notes. What I find fun and challenging about reefing is having an amazing beautiful reef, but using all the underdog lower priced stuff. What’s even more neat is it works and it has been done. It’s super easy to say I have a gorgeous reef when you have to spend 800 or 2400(3) on three lights have to have reeflink, I mean they are like Xmas lights if one goes out they all go out. Internet crashes, (reeflink so do the lights), fan goes they fry. They are a aka salt water light, that are hung above a tank. Yet if any moisture (evaporation, mist, etc) and shorts your light out warranty void. I dropped my entire light in my tank, lol they said if we can address your new light with the name butter fingers we will cover it under warranty and it’s off warranty. Good luck with them doing that. With all the reviews on bulk reef supply now, half of them have horrible service and the lights don’t work. Again they can’t all be lying. But doubt you will read this but like bugs bunny says “oh well”. I still hope you like them and they work, but I’d hope for a better version on g5, cause g4 are not any where close to top ten lights any more.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right but thats your opion .... i think radions is still the best thats why many of us still using it. TQ

As I respect your opinion nor would I try to change it or persuade you otherwise. All I’m simply saying is, I hope they up their game on the g5 because they have been out classed by several companies, and currently the mitas ghl x7 is the top led light based on reviews and opinions, and some semi scientific reviews, (yet I couldn’t find much on the authors or their background, but still published so that means something). Current reviews about radions even on the link in this thread half of them didn’t like them because they were faulty and bad service. I’m sure people write reviews just to put a company down, but in this case they can’t all be lying and fake posts. My experience is I bought 6 new g4 for my new and upcoming 425. Four of them didn’t even turn on or anything fresh out of the box. Customer service was a nightmare and insisted I made the mistake. They wanted me to pay to ship them back, (the lights I use now have never made me do that), secondly I called them the second day I owned them. They wanted me to give them my debit card Incase warranty didn’t cover it. I said no. Went back to the lfs and they agreed w me and I returned all of them for store credit and ordered the lights I have now and still going excellent after two years. (Same cost but still customer service is simply astounding). I’m glad you have good luck and like them, but from a friends point of view or fellow reefer, I hope the g5 is not built on the same platform, and they really up their A game. Nobody wants to spend 1,000 for a hyped up old g4.

Last edited:

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an G3 Pro user some years back until I needed to replace the fans from my 3 units. Ecotech was requesting 60$ for a single fan, Cofan manufacturer was selling then 10$.
I will maybe considering back the radions when they will change the cooler fan to be on top of their units and not at the bottom getting all that salt humidity in there and asking 60$ for a fan.

Just went with the GNC BluRay same price with passive cooling this time (no noisy fan to be replaced and 3 years warranty) and I am very happy with them.

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully they'll announce it in macna. i just can not convince myself to purchase the G4 atm, even with the 10% sale

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back