Ecotech Radion G6?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you're happy with the Red Sea lights because behind the scenes, they are one of the most hated lights out there with loads of issues that get swept under the rug (like most things Red Sea makes.)
Let's not turn this into an EcoTech vs. Red Sea vs. etc. discussion. I have a Red Sea tank and use several Red Sea products (not the LEDs) that have all been great, so let's just agree that YMMV.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 physical lenses. One is attached to the led diode.
Yes, that's how LEDs are manufactured, at least the LED emitters used in reef lighting (UV maybe no so much). Without primary lenses, the emitter is exposed to the salt air, dust, etc. Primary lenses produce a net gain in light and make LEDs more efficient. None of the emitters used in reef lighting are purpose built for the companies who use them. If they were, there would be no reason to use secondary lenses, because the primaries would be manufactured to meet the needs of the Ecotech's lights.
The second is the big plastic removable one.
Secondary lenses refocus the light from the diode and primary lens into a new beam. This is not a new concept.

After watching Jake's "detailed" assessment, it's clear that he knows little about LED emitters. He's overly-impressed at the size of the emitters, and seems to think the size and appearance of emitters is somehow meaningful when it comes to function. It was good for a laugh, though.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the reasons why I choose to purchase my LED lights from a company that actually makes their own LEDs and specializes in lighting and also have a fantastic track record of doing those things.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's at least a dozen points of misinformation and lack of context in this.
Can you point them out, please?
We'll just go with one of them though... How do you know Ecotech didn't test the 395nm diodes with their plastic? How do you know they didn't change the plastic to accommodate the UV? Or like with the AI lights, they don't allow you to overdrive them?
How can you say that with certaainty?
Way too many assumptions and emotions to make a good case for either light here.
So we see.
Glad you're happy with the Red Sea lights because behind the scenes, they are one of the most hated lights out there with loads of issues that get swept under the rug (like most things Red Sea makes.)
So using your approach to the discussion, how do you know "they are one of the most hated lights out there with loads of issues that get swept under the rug (like most things Red Sea makes)"? I thought there are "Way too many assumptions and emotions to make a good case for either light here."

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who might that be?
Kessil via DiCon Fiberoptics.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need because shadow are not your enemies. Buy good way to deflect from my position.
#ShadowsForReefTanks
#BlanketsAreBad
The current trend is to move away from spotlighting. Some say too much shimmer. Another reason would be to increase heat transfer and LED lifespans by spreading the heat sources out.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need because shadow are not your enemies. Buy the way, good way to deflect from my position.
#ShadowsForReefTanks
#BlanketsAreBad
Designing and building your own LEDs may have advantages, but until someone comes up with the magic spectrum and intensity for mixed reef tanks, I doubt there will ever be a "best" light.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current trend is to move away from spotlighting. Some say too much shimmer. Another reason would be to increase heat transfer and LED lifespans by spreading the heat sources out.
I do not subscribe to trends. I stick with what works. Again sticking with the people that actually make the stuff. Phillips is another excellent example.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends - it's like trying to tell someone what speaker sounds best.
It's called marketing. They create a demand by telling reefers they're wrong, but look, here's a new model that's the "best".

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called marketing. They create a demand by telling reefers they're wrong, but look, here's a new model that's the "best".
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
To quote a summary from a video I just watched "evolutionary - not revolutionary". I'm happy with my G5 Radions.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not subscribe to trends. I stick with what works. Again sticking with the people that actually make the stuff. Phillips is another excellent example.
I hoarded Radion Gen 3 Pros at a huge discount when they were considered "old". I've got them spaced closer than the original recommendation and now have beautiful corals at a fraction of the cost of the current generations. I go with what works. The newer stuff is pretty unproven at this point. I go with what's proven to work well (and is a LOT less expensive).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back