Eheim Jäger - Complicated or I am at fault? Probably that latter :)

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate these heaters. For the life of me I cannot calibrate or figure it out and cannot get my temp to the parameters I want. Returning them and buying a InkBird with two simple heaters.

Any suggestions on two heaters for a 40Gallon Breeder with a approx 30 gallon sump?

I want to keep the heaters in my sump (one in skimmer section and one in refugium section) my return is in the middle.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the calibration ring and printed numbers. Dial in the temp with an external thermometer or the inkbird and you are good to go

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its disappointing Eheim doesnt address this, but for a relatively inexpensive heater that is built like a tank and super stable once dialed in I can overlook it. Just a bit of a barrier to those new to the product.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve tried on my freshwater tanks to dial in using the calibration where you move the ring etc but I never had much luck. I had a digital infrared thermometer that I use to check when to heaters turn on/off and I will just turn the knob down/up until it’s where I want it.

Example when I first put my 75w into my reef tank it was set for 79 but was heating to 82 and would kick on at 81. I just turned it to 75 and now I’m constantly 77-78.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience here with eheims. Currently have my ring set on 75 and it runs at a constant 78. If you’re not interested in a separate controller, it’s a good heater once you get it calibrated IMO.

I honestly wish heater manufacturers would spend r&d efforts on building a high quality heater model that runs at a constant 78–no ability (or need) to adjust. The vast majority of all reefers would be very happy with a steady 78.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have never had an issue with the ring... After the heater reaches steady state, unplug and adjust the ring and plug it back in. I think a majority of the issue is that the heater output and tank being used to calibate it need to be in the middle of the range. Other heaters, large pumps and lights need to be cut off which is kinda silly. Get an inkbird or controller cause its too much of a hastle.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red rings can never seem to turn far enough where I need them.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the heater in a bucket for 2 hours. The temperature in the water is either 82 or 83.5 according to the thermometers. But the heater is set at 79.

What am I doing wrong here?

IMG_6508.jpeg IMG_6509.jpeg IMG_6507.jpeg

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the heater in a bucket for 2 hours. The temperature in the water is either 82 or 83.5 according to the thermometers. But the heater is set at 79.

What am I doing wrong here?

IMG_6508.jpeg IMG_6509.jpeg IMG_6507.jpeg

Move the red ring to 82. Then adjust the blue dial to where you want it.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an issue with circulation in the bucket too.

Most heaters will not heat a bucket of water evenly without circulation.
i put a pump in. Still trying to figure it out. At end of day if I can't get it to work going to return and get Cobalt heaters. Just ordered the Inkbird controller as well.

thanks

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put a pump in. Still trying to figure it out. At end of day if I can't get it to work going to return and get Cobalt heaters. Just ordered the Inkbird controller as well.

thanks

Cobalt heaters have a pretty bad reputation for eventually exploding and fouling the tank. I actually just switched away from cobalt.

I am now using the BRS titanium heaters with my Neptune for control.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt heaters have a pretty bad reputation for eventually exploding and fouling the tank. I actually just switched away from cobalt.

I am now using the BRS titanium heaters with my Neptune for control.
thanks for the insight. will check that out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back