Eheim Jäger - Complicated or I am at fault? Probably that latter :)

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt heaters have a pretty bad reputation for eventually exploding and fouling the tank. I actually just switched away from cobalt.

I am now using the BRS titanium heaters with my Neptune for control.
just bought 2. Returning the Eheim.

100W Titanium Heater Element - Bulk Reef Supply

Thanks

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought 2. Returning the Eheim.

100W Titanium Heater Element - Bulk Reef Supply

Thanks

I’ve been quite happy with mine. I think you’ll like it. Do note that that is just a heating element and it doesn’t have a built in thermostat. I saw that you said that your ordered an inkbird controller and it will work well with that, but you’ll need a controller of some sort.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been quite happy with mine. I think you’ll like it. Do note that that is just a heating element and it doesn’t have a built in thermostat. I saw that you said that your ordered an inkbird controller and it will work well with that, but you’ll need a controller of some sort.
yes bought the inkbird as well. Thanks!

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received two 100 watt BRS heaters. put them in . My temp is perfect in both sump and DT. 78. Inkbird coming friday.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received two 100 watt BRS heaters. put them in . My temp is perfect in both sump and DT. 78. Inkbird coming friday.

Wait, if the inkbird is coming Friday then what are the BRS heaters connected to? They don’t have an internal thermostat, so if they are just plugged into an outlet then they will be always on and never shut off no matter how warm your tank gets.

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 to Ehiem sucks. I had one that I turn down all the way to get it to stay at 82F. Ehiem support finally offered me a replacement after two weeks, but by the time they replied Chewy.com had already refunded my money.

I go with Aqueon now, works great.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, if the inkbird is coming Friday then what are the BRS heaters connected to? They don’t have an internal thermostat, so if they are just plugged into an outlet then they will be always on and never shut off no matter how warm your tank gets.
well they have been in my sump all day and the temp in my display is 78 for the past 7 hours. Is that a problem? Well, I unpugged one and used a Fluval I have. And will alternate. Just one more day and the inkbird will be here. But the temp seems to be steady

Last edited:

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they have been in my sump all day and the temp in my display is 79 for the past 7 hours. Is that a problem?

I mean 79 degrees is not a problem, although if the heaters running at 100% 24 hours a day is keeping your tank at 79 degrees then that probably says that they might be a bit undersized.

I’d also be concerned about leaving them like that because if the temp does start to go up they won’t turn off and the temp will just continue to rise.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean 79 degrees is not a problem, although if the heaters running at 100% 24 hours a day is keeping your tank at 79 degrees then that probably says that they might be a bit undersized.

I’d also be concerned about leaving them like that because if the temp does start to go up they won’t turn off and the temp will just continue to rise.
I have a 40 Gallon Breeder and a Sump that probably holds 22 gallons or so gallons. And I have two 100 watt BRS heaters. My tank is in my basement which is cooler than upstairs and my sump is in the unfinished side of the basement but the boiler keeps it warm when not running but does get cool when it shuts off. I spoke to the BRS guys and they recommended two 100 watt. Maybe I should have gotten 2 200? The box clearly states that the 100 is "Up to 40 Gallons"
View recent photos.jpeg

Last edited:

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking 200W might have been better. I mean obviously it can keep up with your heat load (barely) but if something changes... the ambient temp getting a little cooler or the lights going off so they aren’t heating the water as much then the heaters might not be able to keep up.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking 200W might have been better. I mean obviously it can keep up with your heat load (barely) but if something changes... the ambient temp getting a little cooler or the lights going off so they aren’t heating the water as much then the heaters might not be able to keep up.
the box does say that the heater is up to 40 gallons. So with two that is 80. I emailed BRS to see what they say. They suggested that I buy the two so maybe I have to return and get bigger.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the box does say that the heater is up to 40 gallons. So with two that is 80. I emailed BRS to see what they say. They suggested that I buy the two so maybe I have to return and get bigger.

The gallon size is really just a guideline and ambient temp around the tank has a big effect on heat loss and how big of a heater you need to maintain your temp. If you had a 200G aquarium that you were trying to keep at 79 and the ambient temp in the room was 78 then those two 100W heaters would be fine for that tank.

But if you have a 40G tank that you’re trying to keep at 79 and the ambient temp is 60 then you’ll probably need more than 200W of heaters to make up for that 19 degree differential.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gallon size is really just a guideline and ambient temp around the tank has a big effect on heat loss and how big of a heater you need to maintain your temp. If you had a 200G aquarium that you were trying to keep at 79 and the ambient temp in the room was 78 then those two 100W heaters would be fine for that tank.

But if you have a 40G tank that you’re trying to keep at 79 and the ambient temp is 60 then you’ll probably need more than 200W of heaters to make up for that 19 degree differential.
This shows how inexperienced I am and lack of knowledge. Never really thought about the temp of room. That is a big issue. My office in basement does not have any heat apart from what the boiler generates. And that is in the unfinished side of the basement I use a space heater when I am down there. So it does get chilly. So might need to go out to 200 watt

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just checked the ambient temp of both rooms. My DT temp is 61.5 when I am not running space heater (which is all night and times throughout the day when I am not down here) and the Sump area is 64.7. So that seems to be a huge difference to make up.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it would have I could not get my temp up no matter how high I set dial.
I would have solved the “calibration issue” is what I meant.

IMO, you should NEVER run a heater without some kind of external control for it. That’s just asking for issues

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just going to throw it out there thermometers can also be an issue. i have three thermometers and they all read a degree or to off. one way or the other.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back