Emerald crab caught my diamondback gobi

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by BlueCursor, Jan 6, 2017.

1. BlueCursor

BlueCursor Well-Known Member

I have always been a fan of emerald crabs and have kept them for the past three years. Two of the ones I have now are the green variety and have grown fairly large. The body (not counting claws) is bigger than a quarter, close to a 50 cent piece.

Yesterday while feeding my tank. I witnessed one of my green emeralds catch my diamondback goby. The goby got too close and the crab grabbed the goby's mouth. The goby went nuts trying to get loose, but the crab held onto the mouth tight. I had to go in and try to grab the crab so it would consider me a threat and let go of the goby to defend himself.

The goby went into his hole for an hour. Later he was out and sifting sand. Hopefully no long-term damage.

I think I need to get the two big green emerald crabs out of my DT. The white emeralds have stayed small and never threaten or try to grab fish.

2. Oscar47f

Oscar47f Well-Known Member

:eek: looks like i need to get my emerald crab out soon mine is close to half dollar size as well.. hasn't gone for fish yet but i always keep an eye out for that

3. Oakie12

Oakie12 Well-Known Member

My emerald crab ate my blood shrimp the other day. As soon as my tank switch happens im taking him out and not puttimg another in my tank again.

4. BlueCursor

I eventually got this crab and now he is in the fuge. He can chase my banished hermit crabs if he wants. From now on, no green emeralds in my tank. Only the white ones will go in. The white ones in my tank are very small. The green ones have grown big.

5. Tori

Tori ReefMoore 103 R2R Supporter

Do the white ones also eat bubble algae?

6. BlueCursor

I have seen the white, green, and orange ones picking at bubble algae.

Tori likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted