Emerald's Ultimate Quarantine Tank

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to think it was not worth having a quarantine tank. Couldn't afford it, didn't have the space, etc etc:neutral:.

After having our tank population of fish wiped out by marine velvet in the past and having fish succumb to ich as well as getting infected corals, I realized early on I couldn't afford NOT to have an quarantine tank.

I also help out in my local forum with a program called Tanks for Teachers in which we donate tanks , corals and fish to local schools. When I add new fish to a school tank, I like to make sure they are well acclimated, feeding and are healthy.

I also get lots of donations of corals from fellow reefers for this program and don't want them potentially contaminating my main system.

I used to use a 40 gallon frag tank as a quarantine system but then I plumbed it into the main tank for more stability. Then I was using a 29 gallon biocube but this was just too small.

When you set up a quarantine tank it still goes through a cycle. I have found that corals and fish do better when the tank has been set up and the parameters are stable. I like to have a system that is up and running if I need to move a sick fish or coral.

A local reefer who does acrylic work came up with a brilliant design. I have a limited space so no room below for a sump. He came up with an all in one design with multiple compartments to hold more fish so they don't fight and are less stressed.Very nice design!(clap)(clap)

DSC01686ARW.jpg

Picked up the tank yesterday and it passed the water test! (clap)(clap)

DSC01684ARW.jpg

As you can see the space is very tight and we wanted to maximize the space!

DSC01751ARW.jpg

DSC01748ARW.jpg

DSC01749ARW.jpg

It fits like a glove!1smile1

DSC01752ARW.jpg

DSC01754ARW.jpg

DSC01755ARW.jpg

Simple plumbing job with this all in one design

DSC01758ARW.jpg

OP
OP
emerald525

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures

I am adding sand to 2 of the compartments in case I get some wrasses or other sand loving fish.

DSC01759ARW.jpg

DSC01760ARW.jpg

The not so fun process of adding water! This ended up being a 90 gallon tank so we ended up needing 80 gallons of saltwater. I used the water from our main tank so ended up doing a water change too!:bigsmile:

DSC01761ARW.jpg

DSC01762ARW.jpg

DSC01763ARW.jpg

I had some live rock from a previous tank breakdown and added this to the tank

DSC01764ARW.jpg

Submersible pump is hooked up and tank is ready to go!1smile1

DSC01765ARW.jpg

DSC01766ARW.jpg

The only thing left to do is hang up the light. I got this from a fellow reefer for a future trade in corals

DSC01769ARW.jpg

Let the cycling process begin!I use the Dr. Tim's formulation and this has worked well for tank builds in the past including the ones I have helped with for the Tanks for Teacher program. I don't like using fish for cycling.

DSC01771ARW.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW this is a great set up! Could you get a top down so we can see the compartments a little better? :D

Also the only issue I see is I thought that having sand in a medicated tank doesn't work well due to the fact that the sand can "soak" up the medication. Is this true?

OP
OP
emerald525

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW this is a great set up! Could you get a top down so we can see the compartments a little better? :D

Also the only issue I see is I thought that having sand in a medicated tank doesn't work well due to the fact that the sand can "soak" up the medication. Is this true?

It's a pretty cramped space but I could try to get a top down shot Rev. :)

I'm not planning on running copper or medicating in this tank. I have some nice pieces of live rock that I would like to keep. I just like to have a tank that is up and running . This is primarily a place to separate new fish and corals from my main display to keep them from spreading disease. It's also a good way to acclimate the fish and make sure they are feeding. If there is a sick fish I have a 10 gallon tank that I have set up in the past for medications.

OP
OP
emerald525

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up!

Thanks Tonya

QT is always good! Nice job.

Yes it is! I learned the hard way that a good QT system ends up paying for itself and it wasn't too expensive as I ended up trading corals for most of the equipment. :)

Great idea Kim! Do you think heat may become a problem I wonder?

Thanks Wendy. It's in the basement and this is Portland so it stays pretty cool most of the time. We don't get those crazy 100+ degree weather like you do in Texas.:smile: Thanks for the reminder though. I should probably get a heater!:angel:

I do expect a good degree of evaporation so am thinking about getting an autotopoff set up.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tonya

Yes it is! I learned the hard way that a good QT system ends up paying for itself and it wasn't too expensive as I ended up trading corals for most of the equipment. :)

Thanks Wendy. It's in the basement and this is Portland so it stays pretty cool most of the time. We don't get those crazy 100+ degree weather like you do in Texas.:smile: Thanks for the reminder though. I should probably get a heater!:angel:

Very true. Difficult for me to get to the "Heat" mindset!! Even in December my chiller is still running.!! :roll:

I do expect a good degree of evaporation so am thinking about getting an autotopoff set up.

Me too. Adding water is a daily thing. ATO is one of my next projects.

OP
OP
emerald525

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top down shots!

Okay because everyone asked. These were not easy shots to take! I am short and hand to stand on the toilet or step stool and try not to drop the camera in the QT tank!:lol:

DSC01772ARW.jpg

DSC01774ARW.jpg

DSC01777ARW.jpg

DSC01778ARW.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back