Empourer Angelfish

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Method (search that, or TTM on R2R) is mainly for Ich; you can avoid harsh copper. But once you are finished, you could use General Cure for internal flukes.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Method (search that, or TTM on R2R) is mainly for Ich; you can avoid harsh copper. But once you are finished, you could use General Cure for internal flukes.
Would you have to treat the water with ich meds? And how long would I need to do this for?

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I all, I ordered an empourer angelfish and I was curious if anyone had tips for destressing it and keeping him successfully. I have had angels in the past but they have all been dawrfs. I know they are extremely prone to ich so i was planning on keeping him in quarantine for 30 days and treating him for it right away even without signs. I ordered him from liveaquaria.com. Thank you for your tips.
Did you get an adult, or juvinile? And what other fish do you already have in the tank. I agree emperor are pretty tough, once they get established though they will kick everyone's behind. So this may be (one of) the last fishes you add to the tank. As always, just make sure you go through a thorough quarantine- a week or so to make sure it eats like a pig, then 3-4 weeks of medication to rid any parasite. I've had my since he was a two incher and he's now a beautiful six inch adult, eats everything I drop in the tank. If you already have other fish at the time of introduction, try moving the rock work to blur their existing territory and allow the angel a chance to find a shelter to claim as its home, this will help diffuse turf wars and help it settle in faster.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get an adult, or juvinile? And what other fish do you already have in the tank. I agree emperor are pretty tough, once they get established though they will kick everyone's behind. So this may be (one of) the last fishes you add to the tank. As always, just make sure you go through a thorough quarantine- a week or so to make sure it eats like a pig, then 3-4 weeks of medication to rid any parasite. I've had my since he was a two incher and he's now a beautiful six inch adult, eats everything I drop in the tank. If you already have other fish at the time of introduction, try moving the rock work to blur their existing territory and allow the angel a chance to find a shelter to claim as its home, this will help diffuse turf wars and help it settle in faster.
If you scroll up a little I posted a picture of him. He will be 2" and juvenile. When he gets added to the tank there will mostly only a be him a orange shoulder tang and a vaentini puffer fish. I am receiving the tang along with him so I don't if I will do the TTM method or not yet. I don't know if I will keep the damsel or not though in the display tank. Any other possible Fish I add after that would be a long time down the road and other either maybe a pair of clowns and or a trigger. What kind of tank did you quarantine him in? Did you run into any issues with ich or internal parasites? If so how and what did you treat it with? I know @Jumbo shrimp suggested I use general cure for the internal parasites which I was planning on doing. For ice he suggested that I use copper but some places say they are a little more sensitive with copper.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Maybe a touch neurotic, but stones and tubing are so cheap I actually set up a number of 1-2 foot lengths of tubing with a stone attached... then I just pop it off the pump and use a new one at each transfer. No need to clean and dry them. Just clean and dry the bowl and lid— which you see from the photo is just an easy to wipe down piece of plexiglass.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you scroll up a little I posted a picture of him. He will be 2" and juvenile. When he gets added to the tank there will mostly only a be him a orange shoulder tang and a vaentini puffer fish. I am receiving the tang along with him so I don't if I will do the TTM method or not yet. I don't know if I will keep the damsel or not though in the display tank. Any other possible Fish I add after that would be a long time down the road and other either maybe a pair of clowns and or a trigger. What kind of tank did you quarantine him in? Did you run into any issues with ich or internal parasites? If so how and what did you treat it with? I know @Jumbo shrimp suggested I use general cure for the internal parasites which I was planning on doing. For ice he suggested that I use copper but some places say they are a little more sensitive with copper.
I used a 60gallon cube to quarantine mine at the time. No issue whatsoever, but not all fish are the same. I think I was very lucky with this one. I have had emperors before who didn't make it very long, and based on my prior experience I'd generally recommend getting a juvinile vs. an adult to begin with, which you did so I think your chances are already good. I used copper for my quarantine and mine did just fine with that. Again one thing that worked for me may not necessarily work for you, so choose your best method you find comfortable with.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Maybe a touch neurotic, but stones and tubing are so cheap I actually set up a number of 1-2 foot lengths of tubing with a stone attached... then I just pop it off the pump and use a new one at each transfer. No need to clean and dry them. Just clean and dry the bowl and lid— which you see from the photo is just an easy to wipe down piece of plexiglass.
Alright. I wonder if I could treat for ich with chemicals and if it appears on the fish start this method? Would that work?

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 60gallon cube to quarantine mine at the time. No issue whatsoever, but not all fish are the same. I think I was very lucky with this one. I have had emperors before who didn't make it very long, and based on my prior experience I'd generally recommend getting a juvinile vs. an adult to begin with, which you did so I think your chances are already good. I used copper for my quarantine and mine did just fine with that. Again one thing that worked for me may not necessarily work for you, so choose your best method you find comfortable with.
Ok I get him in 2 days so It seems like most people have more luck with copper so I will try copper this time if the ich occurs I am also liking the idea of the TTM.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no problem. But just to underscore, the whole point of the TTM is to avoid the copper altogether. My understanding is that if done correctly, it is literally impossible for Ich to survive TTM, because you are breaking up it’s lifecycle as you move on down the line. But for a lot of people multiple-tank TTM is not as convenient as treating with copper in a single tank. Best wishes for you and your fish in whichever route you go!

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no problem. But just to underscore, the whole point of the TTM is to avoid the copper altogether. My understanding is that if done correctly, it is literally impossible for Ich to survive TTM, because you are breaking up it’s lifecycle as you move on down the line. But for a lot of people multiple-tank TTM is not as convenient as treating with copper in a single tank. Best wishes for you and your fish in whichever route you go!
Ok Thank You

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing to keep in mind with TTM is stress control when you have to relocate the fish everyday, and be cautious to not harm the fish in the process.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp i received the angel today. He looks mostly good swimming.He does has one bump on his side though. Any thoughts of what it is? And if it needs to be treated or not? And I believe that is ich on his tail correct in the last photo? I can try and get a better picture of needed. One more question while dosing with copper how often should I dose it doesn’t say on bottle. If it is ich should I start treatment ASAP or still wait a few days?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 62507619693__BB6C2E60-AA46-4E1C-8F2B-D8F86D1FA248.MOV
    757.6 KB
  • 62507639129__A059F364-5136-4F66-A8C9-29B962B77432.MOV
    1.4 MB
OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is also eating very well.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks good, swimming in the open shows confidence and energy. Even better since you stated it is eating well. I normally don't medicate my fish in the first week since medication tend to curb their appetite. But if he's already eating like a pig then feel free to begin your treatment. I don't see a bump very well, is it on the body or on the fins? What color is it? My emperor actually got fin fungus infection during quarantine but it just healed overtime without medication.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks good, swimming in the open shows confidence and energy. Even better since you stated it is eating well. I normally don't medicate my fish in the first week since medication tend to curb their appetite. But if he's already eating like a pig then feel free to begin your treatment. I don't see a bump very well, is it on the body or on the fins? What color is it? My emperor actually got fin fungus infection during quarantine but it just healed overtime without medication.
The bump is not on any fins it is on thebody. It is like a pimple almost it looks like. There are scales around the sides and no scales on top.

image.jpg

Attachments

• 62508124370__C7BFEFCB-4FF1-4D25-8C7B-91BAC7C55BAA.MOV
    1.3 MB

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back