Equipment pricing

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to manufacturer/fabricate acrylic tanks filters and stands. I also sold light systems, skimmers, and water top off systems that we fabricated in house. The reason I no longer do this is because most of you have no idea about the cost of overhead. Yeah, the cost of parts might be cheap but then who is going to turn that into a finished product? Payroll and the company matched taxes, insurance, rent or purchase of a building, licenses, permits, property tax on all the equipment you already purchased and paid sales taxes on, software licenses, payroll subscriptions, repair of broken tools, replacement tooling for saws and routers, shipping expense and packaging, legal and accounting services, warehousing and taxes on inventory, and a list that continues on! Then you add to that the limited market for aquarium products regionally or nationally. Then you figure the true cost per unit sold and add enough profit to survive until next year. Then come here and tell me about unfair prices. There is a reason why I could no longer support my aquarium fabrication business and had to switch industries. My only complaint is I waited to long to smell the coffee and take care of my employees and family first. I bootstraped my business for more years than I can remember with no renumeration for myself or family. I will never do that again. Hobbies are terrible business models period.

Now let's talk about the cost of shelter, food and gas prices and why they are so high....

Sal Amadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the essentials will run over $200 for 4 kits, The master is $329
I’ve seen used ones recently on marketplace at $30 each. Those are good deals
I've spent $63.00 for each kit, and will never go back to the old way of testing. I like digital much better.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%

Back