Equipment pricing

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear everyone saying lighting costs -- and I agree to a point -- but if you buy something good it should last for a decade or more. I have a couple ATI fixtures at least that old and some older AI Hydra 26s. My LFS runs Gen 1 Radions!

My Neptune APEX equipment on the other hand is expensive and (IME) prone to giving out. I keep a spare brain, a spare DOS, spare probes and spare Energy bars especially.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear everyone saying lighting costs -- and I agree to a point -- but if you buy something good it should last for a decade or more. I have a couple ATI fixtures at least that old and some older AI Hydra 26s. My LFS runs Gen 1 Radions!

My Neptune APEX equipment on the other hand is expensive and (IME) prone to giving out. I keep a spare brain, a spare DOS, spare probes and spare Energy bars especially.
I encourage everyone to buy the latest editions...so i can buy the old ones for cheap lol. I have a gen 3 radion laying around for a future project because i picked it up for a song several months ago. My wife and i monitor FB marketplace for used gear. Its a great way to pick up nice stuff on the cheap. My wife found my tank this way, picked up a red sea max 130dd with stand, dry rock, upgraded pump, heater and some extras for $250. I mean you do have to be careful and know what youre looking at, but its a good resource.

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encourage everyone to buy the latest editions...so i can buy the old ones for cheap lol. I have a gen 3 radion laying around for a future project because i picked it up for a song several months ago. My wife and i monitor FB marketplace for used gear. Its a great way to pick up nice stuff on the cheap. My wife found my tank this way, picked up a red sea max 130dd with stand, dry rock, upgraded pump, heater and some extras for $250. I mean you do have to be careful and know what youre looking at, but its a good resource.
Same here. I found my 180gal plus the stand for 300 on offer up. So many great deals out there :)

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think what puts many freshwater aquarists off from switching to reef tanks is the crazy upfront cost of it all. A fully kitted out planted tank needs a filter, a CO2 injector, a light, heater, soil, plants, driftwood, and fish. I can build a complete planted tank and fully stock it for less than the cost of a single Gen 6 XR15. Trying to explain the costs of certain equipment to a freshwater guy or someone that wants to go straight into reefing, they're gonna think you're crazy.

Sure, you can go budget builds, and I recently did a budget build myself, but once you catch that bug, you're either going to want a second larger tank or upgrade the current one, and if someone is going invest that amount of time and money into a dream build, they're going to also want the best equipment on the market.

I usually tell people that want to get into the hobby to get the biggest tank they can and go all out on the best equipment possible, to save them money in the long run, because it's almost guaranteed that if you go for cheaper equipment, you're just gonna want to upgrade later on. Even on my budget nano build, I eventually dropped the black box lights and went with an ai prime and a nero 3, because they're honestly worth the slightly higher price tag. The black box lights were perfectly fine and my corals were thriving, I just wanted something that looked more sleek and was controllable through an app.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lids are an overpriced item that nobody talks about. I just bought a lid for my Red Sea 350 and it was $400 and that was the cheapest price. Why is a simple piece of plexiglass glass with a couple cutouts so dang expensive? Or you can go down the cheaper route and end up with something real flimsy…

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not understanding why a gyre or other decent powerhead needs to be $350. Yowza!
I honestly feel the same way. I'm looking to buy two mp40s for a new build I'm doing next week, and I still don't understand why they're so dang expensive. It has to be Ecotech taking full advantage of their patent being the only powerhead with no cords in the tank. If there was any other competition in that area, it would probably be around the $250 range. I want no cords in the display for this tank, so I only have one choice. I'll make an exception if I get gyres, since those are at the top of the water and the cords can't really be seen in the tank.

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly feel the same way. I'm looking to buy two mp40s for a new build I'm doing next week, and I still don't understand why they're so dang expensive. It has to be Ecotech taking full advantage of their patent being the only powerhead with no cords in the tank. If there was any other competition in that area, it would probably be around the $250 range. I want no cords in the display for this tank, so I only have one choice. I'll make an exception if I get gyres, since those are at the top of the water and the cords can't really be seen in the tank.
Honestly I buy cheap powerheads and spend the extra $400-500 that would be lost on powerheads and get more corals. Corals are prettier than cords so they draw my eye away from cords.

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think lids are an overpriced item that nobody talks about. I just bought a lid for my Red Sea 350 and it was $400 and that was the cheapest price. Why is a simple piece of plexiglass glass with a couple cutouts so dang expensive? Or you can go down the cheaper route and end up with something real flimsy…

100% this! Even the Red Sea DIY option is crazy to me. $100 for $10 worth of materials that I have to assemble?

bobb498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better question might be is there any part of our hobby now where the prices aren't out of control? Lights are ridiculous and the pricing is strictly to take advantage of us. LEDs are everywhere. Our household lights are LEDs. Why do the lights for our reef tanks cost hundreds of dollars? How about the cost of a decent sump? Just the sump itself is $300 and up. Then you have to spend as much again on a protein skimmer which basically blows bubbles. Everyone likes the look of the new rimless aquariums but who can afford them? Why can't anyone make a simple heater that will accurately heat our tanks to a desired temperature without adjustments? The list goes on and on.

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A better question might be is there any part of our hobby now where the prices aren't out of control? Lights are ridiculous and the pricing is strictly to take advantage of us. LEDs are everywhere. Our household lights are LEDs. Why do the lights for our reef tanks cost hundreds of dollars? How about the cost of a decent sump? Just the sump itself is $300 and up. Then you have to spend as much again on a protein skimmer which basically blows bubbles. Everyone likes the look of the new rimless aquariums but who can afford them? Why can't anyone make a simple heater that will accurately heat our tanks to a desired temperature without adjustments? The list goes on and on.
You know what's just outrageous even for this hobby? Algae scrubbers/reactors and ATO reservoirs. Clear Water is trying to sell an algae scrubber for $900! NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. For a tiny plastic box with holes and two lights slapped on the sides. I can DIY that at 1/10th of the cost and I bet you it'll perform the exact same if not better, cause I can at least choose my lights.

Reservoirs aren't any better. $200+ for an acrylic or glass box that holds 5-10 gallons of water, and if you want a different color, that'll cost more.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back