Eric's Elos Mini

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intro
Well...I've been a member for a while now, but haven't posted much. Instead, I've read and posted (very) rarely. Since I just started my new tank, I figured I may as well start a build thread. However, this won't really be a "build thread" but rather it'll be more like a journal, or just a place to keep track of my tank, bounce ideas off forum members, and share some pictures. Most everything is "built" already. I hope you enjoy the read.. and feel free to skip through my long-winded ramblings to see (cell phone, for now) pictures! :wink:

The Tank
Over the past 5 years or so, I've had a number of different tanks. I've had full blown reefs and FOWLR tanks as well. The smallest tank being a 10 gallon nano, and the largest being a 90 gallon reef with 20 gallon sump. I had the 90 up for a relatively short time, at just over one year. Although it was a nice tank, it was never quite up to my standards. There was just simply not enough time or money (not to mention space in our living room) to get things the way I wanted. (Yes, I'm slightly OCD). With a lot of thinking and talking with my wife, I (we) decided on a much smaller tank.

I'm a big fan of cube tanks, and have had both a 30 and 45 cube tank previously. I knew a cube tank was in order, but figuring out which tank specifically though would prove to be a difficult decision. I looked at everything from a Deep Blue 60 gallon rimless to a custom 22 gallon acrylic tank, and almost everything in between. However, my decision was ultimately pretty simple. When an excellent deal came up on a slightly used Elos Mini... I had to jump on it. I have always loved Elos tanks, having seen many different models in person at my LFS in Manhattan. After thinking about it for a few days, I knew this was the right choice.

Equipment
Here's a brief run-down of my current equipment list:

• Tank: Elos Mini. 20 gallons. Aprx. 17x17x16High Starfire front pane
  • Stand: Elos Mini Stand. White w/ a Dark Brown Door
  • Sump: Custom Acrylic Cube
  • Lighting: AI Sol Blue Nano
  • Skimmer: Elos PS200
  • Flow: Vortech MP10WES
  • Return Pump: Stock Elos Mini Return Pump
  • ATO: Avast Marine Works Pressure Sensor
  • Controller: Reef Keeper Lite
  • Misc. Filtration: Carbon and GFO used in a small bag in my sump
  • Live Rock: about 10-15 lbs in the display and another 5 lbs in the sump.
Theme
This is going to be a mixed tank. I'm going to start with zoas, lps, ric's, and some softies in the beginning, and slowly add SPS and clams as the tank matures and stabilizes. My rockscape is what I consider minimalist. I like open space, and leaving room for corals to grow. This is tough, especially in such a small system.
Overall, I'm going to try and balance coral colors, shapes, textures, and movement to give a nice, relaxing mix.
Livestock
I've had these two Black Saddlebacks for a while now. I bought them when they were each just under an inch, and they've grown quite a bit since then. The female is much larger than the male, and she definitely lets him know who's boss :smile: . They're a great pair who really showed their personality in my 90.

That said.. my original plan for the Elos was to keep a number of tiny fish, like neon gobies, fire fish, etc. But, when it came down to actually selling my pair (and I got offers for more than my asking price).. I just couldn't do it.. I'm too attached to them. I'm glad I made the decision to keep them, as they're quite interesting to watch. Recently, the female has started to display some mating behavior, and is currently clearing out a patch of sand right near some live rock on the left side of my tank. Even though I look every 15 minutes or so :lol: I haven't noticed any eggs yet.

Other than the two clowns, I have no plans to add any more tank. The clowns are big, but the tank is well filtered, I do weekly or bi-weekly water changes, and control feeding.

Current Equipment Details/Thoughts and Future Equipment Ideas

AquaIlluminations Sol Blue Nano
Although I really like T5 and Halides, IMO these two options just don't work for the Mini. There's no T5 fixture that will fit the tank's 17 inch width, and a halide would create too much heat and electricity. Not to mention, there would be no dawn-to dusk lighting with a single halide bulb.
That really left no option other than LEDs. I did TONS of research, spending many hours looking up different LED brands and reading personal experiences on this and other forums. I do like the DIY LEDs people are making, but for me.. it wouldn't be a good idea. I have zero confidence in my soldering ability, and less confidence that a fixture I created would truly stand the test of time and last as long as five or more years. Whether or not commercial fixtures will last that long is yet to be seen, but I digress. I don't have too many corals, and have only been running the LED for a short time, but so far so good!

Elos Skimmer
Over the past five years, I've tried many skimmers. To name a few.. I've tried an i-Tech 100, Warner Marine K2, H2, and AS-150, a few Vertex models, Euro Reef RS-80s, SROs, Tunzes, Aqua C, Bubble Magus, and more. My absolute favorite out of them all has been the i-Tech. It's made well, performs better, and is a balanced, QUIET skimmer. Too bad it wouldn't fit my sump. (Dear i-Tech, Please make a smaller, space saver cone, or a nano-version!!) LOL. SO, anyway.. Speaking of footprint.. I have about 7.5in x 7.5in to play with. That doesn't leave a whole lot of options. The search was on for the perfect skimmer.

I looked at almost every company I could think of, and couldn't really come up with anything solid. There's just not much in the way of QUALITY skimmers out there for small tanks or small footprints. The few that were out there, like the Tunze 9002, SWC 120, BM 3.0 and 3.5 cone, and the BK Mini 160 would all fit.. Each skimmer had a downside though. The Tunze wasn't strong enough, the owner of SWC is not a cool dude, the BM's have Atman pumps, and the BK is $$$$$ and would have been too much skimmer for my tank, probably. I was getting discouraged.....

Out of nowhere, a local post for an Elos PS200 came up. It looked similar to a Bubble Magus design, however it seemed to be better thought out, better constructed, and came with a much better pump (Sicce 200) than the Atman. I was sold. The main downside is that there's really not much information out there on this skimmer, and obviously I wish there was more. But... it's currently running and breaking in as we speak.

If something new comes out that looks like it'll be a better fit, I'll probably end up checking it out. I constantly try new skimmers :xd:

Controller
I'm currently running a Reef Keeper Lite that I've had for a few years now. It's worked fine, and no real complaints. However, I'm about 50/50 split when talking about upgrading to an Apex or Profilux system. I have a small tank, and there's not really a NEED for all the features the Apex or Profilux would provide. The ability to monitor and control everything from my phone, see graphs, monitor pH, etc are the main draws of upgrading here. The $400+ is a steep hurdle, though. For now, the RKL will have to do.

Chiller
I'm considering a chiller. In the summer I've dealt with temps, but it usually has resulted in issues (for my SPS especially) when the temp rises. I really just have to sit down and weigh the costs of buying a chiller and running it vrs. not buying one and using the room AC unit and a fan to control temps.

My next post will have pictures ;)

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture shows what a downsize the tank change was... It's the skimmer from my old tank sitting on top of the Elos Mini stand.

photo16.jpg

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous clowns! Sorry to hear about the carpet, though. It looks like they were quite a centerpiece together.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup and stock. Also sorry to hear about the carpet.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great to have you posting here bro! That is a sweet tank!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a gorgeous nem.. hate to hear you lost it. Beautiful tank, though!!

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and clowns, sorry that you had lost the nem. Look forward to following along.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Yes, I agree. The carpets were beautiful. I had two of them for a while in my 90 gallon. The carpet on the left (not pictured) did very well for about six months. The one on the left only lasted about two months :(. I think it was a combination of things that finally pushed them over the edge.

I had been using an Aquatinics Tx5 lamp, and didn't feel like it was enough light forthr two carpets. So I decided to buy an ATI Sunpower 6 bulb fixture. Unfortunately I didn't acclimate the tank to the new, much stronger light well enough. (I used egg crate, glass with dried saltwater on it so the glass would be cloudy, and a reduced photoperiod, but they both started bleaching within a few days. Then, I had an issue with my tank where the temp spiked about three degrees in one day. Already in decline because of the light, the anemones just couldn't take it. :(. Another thing I want to mention is that saddlebacks are notoriously rough on their anemone hosts. The female would constantly hide inside the mouths of the carpets. I'm certain that didn't help things much.

For my new tank, unfortunately there will be no carpet anemones (and probably no anemones at all)

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few positives and a few negatives over the past week or two... First the positives-- I was able to pick up a number of nice corals.. I got a beautiful 3 headed dendro that is an incredible orange color. I also picked up a purple with yellow striped acan, and a super bright torch that's green with bright yellow tips.

Yesterday I picked up a number of nice zoos... Im not much into the names but I got Sunny Ds, chong bongs, and a few other nice ones. All in all, I have 9 or 10 zoo frags. I will try and post pics but my iPhone and LEDs don't get along well :(

Now on to the negatives. My skimmer has been overflowing quite a bit since introduction. I know it's not something in my water because the tunze 9002 I had previously was working like a champ. I ended up putting the skimmer on a few sheets of egg crate to raise the water level a bit. That helped but it was still overflowing like crazy. I'm talking enough to completely fill the collection cup in a few seconds.

I ended up asking Jesse at Elos USA and he suggested I restrict the airline so that less air would reach the skimmer. That has worked so far but it's not ideal. Also, the way the water is exiting the body is not ideal. Because I have the skimmer raised so high up, the exit pipe is about 3-4 inches from the water level. The splashing is amazing :D. Even with the door shut it's quite noticeable.
Hopefully the skimmer will calm down.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also growing more and more concerned with temperature control. This weekend was HOT, especially for May, and with our winter being so mild (we only got about 3 inches of snow the whole season), I'm worried that the summer is going to be warmer than usual. With a tank that's this small, I think temp issues will be a killer. So.. My search for a chiller begins. That's going to hurt the wallet :D

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Elos too! :D

Not too much to report really. I took the day off tomorrow and I'm going to work on getting my skimmer working properly.
Other than that, I added a small fuge and a few corals. I might be getting a nice Blue Hammer tonight as well :)

Thanks for following along

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updated pics? :D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back