Eshopps Eclipse L bulkhead slow leaks

alann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a used 75g drilled with the eshopps eclipse L overflow. It's just one of the bulkheads that leaks. Solutions I've tried:
- New bulkhead (tried an amazon one + brs one)
- Swapping the bulkheads (ex: left bulkhead is leaking and I swap with middle one, the middle one now on left is not leaking, the left one in the middle is still leaking, this shows that it's not the hole but the bulkhead and seems like I'm installing it correctly as well)

Only solutions left I can think of are buying the specific bulkhead from eshopps, or siliconing it. I really want to avoid siliconing it because I have read that it can cause leaks down the road, and it's properly installed dry. Anyone have any more solutions or tips?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I've drilled holes for bulkhead fittings, there is always a tiny gap where the bulkhead goes through the glass.
I have always used just enough silicone to fill that gap, being careful to keep it off the rubber gaskets.
This seems to work for me. out of a couple dozen bulkheads installed only one developed a tiny leak after a few years and it was a bottom drilled hole.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you face the gasket the right way. One side has bumps and the flat side needs to face the glass

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a used Eclipse S and it noticed that sometimes the large nut slips back a couple of threads. I got to tighten it fine, no leaks, but it worries me a little bit. The threads and the nut look OK...

Do you know if the material is PVC? Perhaps I can put some PVC glue to make sure the nut will stay there? Silicone? Any other suggestion?

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resolved the issue putting some epoxy glue between the nut and the thread, just to make sure the nut stays there. Just some extra peace of mind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back