Established flame angel, refusing to eat - intestinal problem?

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry me again! My little flame doesn't look quite right this morning, it's swimming seems a bit jerky and it's stomach appears bloated. I'm starting to think an ammonia spike could have been the issue, tank is ammonia free now and has been for at least a couple of days but I gather symptoms of ammonia poisoning can appear days after the fact.

I really don't want to lose the little guy too so any thoughts on how to proceed would be appreciated, I'm thinking of doing a 30min meth blue bath. If so would doing it daily be a good call or too stressful?

Thanks again

Nick

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyones interested my little flame is doing well, it a 30min meth blue bath on 2 consecutive days and is on the 6th day of triple sulfa treatment, it's swimming normally, eating like a pig and it's fins are growing back nicely. Hopefully there will be no lasting effects.
Cheers

Nick

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyones interested my little flame is doing well, it a 30min meth blue bath on 2 consecutive days and is on the 6th day of triple sulfa treatment, it's swimming normally, eating like a pig and it's fins are growing back nicely. Hopefully there will be no lasting effects.
Cheers

Nick
Awesome!!

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** well I spoke to soon, she looked brilliant the last couple of days but has been struggling to breathe today. I pulled her out and put her in a meth blue bath for 30mins throughout which she was very active. Put her back in the QT and re-dosed triple sulfa, came back and she was on her side struggling barely moving.

She is now back in meth blue as that seemed to help before. There is zero ammonia in the tank and heavy aeration, tank had 20% WC yesterday and around 40% today.

Her fins have fully healed but the only thing I can think is that she has an internal / Gill infection which has gotten worse. I am going to keep her in a dark, aerated bucket with a low dose of meth blue I think.

Gutted...

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed for you!
Thankyou, she is in the meth blue bath but is fading away. It's at a low concentration so going to leave her in it for now just in case.

I don't know what more I could have done, don't know if it the infection coming back, the bath or the 8 days of triple sulfa catching up to her.

That's my biota mandarin and 2 captive bred flames dead in the last month now, had the mandarin and big flame over 2 years. I hate to lose any pets but all of these are literally irreplaceable at the moment too as they don't make it to the UK very often.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back