ETRC?!?

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i saw the post about Chasing Coral on Netflix, and it makes me so so sad to know that 29% of corals have died within last year. Like within my lifetime theres likely to be a world war, and the entire reef to have died off. Thats gotta say something about how we live as a human species; we've lost touch with mother nature; she's dying. I just feel like reefers are going to be the few people who appreciate corals, and I was wondering if ETRC would be open to starting a preservation tank of corals that are key to a happy healthy reef. (such as the great barrier reef) Id love to pay a membership fee to get access to the private forums well, but i just want to start a preservation of corals, because although humans can be quite stupid, and destroy an entire ecosystem. Theres still people who want to preserve the reefs, because one day people will change, and live for the glory of all the living, and us reeferzwill have the perfect way to give back to the oceans :) What do you guys think? i don't mind keeping a tank, but id also love giving to a tank that has that^ as its mission statement.

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joshua,

I believe we have discussed your membership in the past. As a reminder we encourage anyone looking to become a member to come out to a meeting to meet the group & see what the club is about before paying membership dues. Per our club bylaws we do ask anyone under the age of 18 to be accompanied by an Parent/Guardian to the club meetings.

I do think you have some great idea's and your heart is in the right place so I do really encourage you to attending a meeting if you want to get an active conversation flowing about the topics you have mentioned above.

Happy Reefing!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides personal & common sense environmental due diligence, I think a focus on "organic" coral propagation is about as much as a reef hobbyist can do to sustain the natural resource of our ocean reefs. That is, the hobbyist-to-hobbyist selling and trading of coral.

We all maintain coral "preservation" tanks in my opinion, albeit individually. I think it would be an excellent tact with the Hardin Valley tank, to communicate and demonstrate the sustainable nature of the reef hobby, as most the world probably deems the hobby a destructive one.

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides personal & common sense environmental due diligence, I think a focus on "organic" coral propagation is about as much as a reef hobbyist can do to sustain the natural resource of our ocean reefs. That is, the hobbyist-to-hobbyist selling and trading of coral.

We all maintain coral "preservation" tanks in my opinion, albeit individually. I think it would be an excellent tact with the Hardin Valley tank, to communicate and demonstrate the sustainable nature of the reef hobby, as most the world probably deems the hobby a destructive one.
I agree, but I don't believe a zoa garden, or something along those lines are going to be what a reef needs in the ocean. I haven't done the research on this quite yet, but surely theres all kinds of hard corals that the ocean NEED. I love that the reefing community has such a variety, but I think a preservation of some of the most common hard corals found in the ocean would be more beneficial. ps :) im scared to put hard corals in hvas tank; it goes all summer long without a water changes, and that terrifies me..
Joshua,

I believe we have discussed your membership in the past. As a reminder we encourage anyone looking to become a member to come out to a meeting to meet the group & see what the club is about before paying membership dues. Per our club bylaws we do ask anyone under the age of 18 to be accompanied by an Parent/Guardian to the club meetings.

I do think you have some great idea's and your heart is in the right place so I do really encourage you to attending a meeting if you want to get an active conversation flowing about the topics you have mentioned above.

Happy Reefing!
When I turn 18; you can count me there :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back