Ewig's 20g Nano Build

ewiggins89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and figured I would start a build thread since I'm finally starting my first reef tank. It had to fit in my office space at work, so I went with a 20H. The build had to be very quiet, so we decided to do a 10g sump with a somewhat low flow rate.

I ordered the 3/4" bulkheads, the 3/4" locline connector, the 3" flare nozzle, and a 35mm hole saw from Bulk Reef Supply. Stopped by Lowes and got the PVC fittings and 3/4" hose I needed. I taped off the tank and painted the back glass black with acrylic paint while waiting on the fittings from BRS to ship. Once they came in, we drilled the tank and installed the bulkheads, fittings, and hose. Here are some pics of the progress so far.

DSC_0126.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg

Tonight I'm going to be installing the baffles in my 10g sump. I got the glass cut at a local glass store and their measurements didn't match mine :squigglemouth:. So my first experience cutting glass was with 3/16" plate glass. Came out much better than expected. I will be using Momentive RTV108 silicone. I'll post pics when I'm done. Just trying to take the whole process slow and avoid any mistakes going forward. All feedback is welcomed.

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking forward to following this thread. So what are you thinking of stocking it with. Sorry jumping ahead I know, but I love seeing stocklists!

OP
OP
E

ewiggins89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there will be a black and white clown, I fell in love with the ones at my LFS. I'm kind of digging green striped gobies and mandarin dragonets. Haven't really thought hard about it yet, but a good friend of mine says he has some frags he can give me to help me get started once I'm up and cycled. I know he has lots of colorful zoas. Suggestions would be welcome on stock as well. :)

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there will be a black and white clown, I fell in love with the ones at my LFS. I'm kind of digging green striped gobies and mandarin dragonets. Haven't really thought hard about it yet, but a good friend of mine says he has some frags he can give me to help me get started once I'm up and cycled. I know he has lots of colorful zoas. Suggestions would be welcome on stock as well. :)

Oh I like Green-banded Goby I actually wanted 2 for my 20g tank, but opted for symbiosis shrimp and goby instead.

Nano Fish has some good selections to choose from.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice start.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.. Are you positive that the completely filled and stocked tank will be able to be supported on the desk? I see no verticle support anywhere near it, just a thought.

I can invision if you did a bare bottom SPS garden with lots of internal flow with a nice big powerhead.
You also would be able to go longer without water changes if you stock with inverts instead of fish. (IDK what kind of office you work in, some offices WC's could be a nuisance)

OP
OP
E

ewiggins89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive that the completely filled and stocked tank will be able to be supported on the desk? I see no verticle support anywhere near it, just a thought.

I got 4 200+ lb guys to sit on that desk and it was fine. So 250ish should be fine. I'm actually right next to a break room with sinks, so wc won't be a problem. I think I'm going to go for very few fish. Like maybe a clown and a green banded goby or firefish.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back