Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

Dustin A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this at MACNA this past year and the tests seem fine but the app has issues. Will eXact be doing an update to the app any time soon? I wish the app would have some error handling in it and also say something like <1ppm (or whatever the low end is) instead of LO; same goes for the high end. Also, have the number count down instead of up waiting 10 mins for a nitrate test and not knowing if it'll be done in 1 minute, 2, 5, or 10 is frustrating. I have other suggestions, but these are my top complaints.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I’d share a round of comparisons I did tonight. I was trying out the new Hanna salinity meter and bought some new reagents for my alk and phosphate meter.

Salinity
Refractometer - 35, 35, 35
Icecap - 33.4, 33.4, 33.4 (calibration - 32.5)
Hanna - 35.5 , 35.6 , 35.4

Alk
Hanna - 135, 136, 137
Idip - 120, 120, 123
KH Guardian - 143, 148, 143

Phosphate
Hanna .37, .38, .34
Idip .39, .38, .34

I totally didn’t expect these :)

c52b27052dd5893e877490cbf90bcab8.jpg
be4ba40875d60e7e162d7ce7e16e922d.jpg

I have to say that the idip was way easier for the phosphates and so much simpler for alk.

Love how quick I was able to take 3 alk readings versus the hanna. I would setup the hanna for phosphate, do the idip phosphate and get a result from the idip before the hanna. Lol

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned about the ALK test. My Hanna checker says it is 9.2 when doing idip is comes back at 7.84, i did this test 3 times and came back all around the same.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned about the ALK test. My Hanna checker says it is 9.2 when doing idip is comes back at 7.84, i did this test 3 times and came back all around the same.
So why do you think the idip is wrong vs the Hanna?

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Hanna for about 6 months. Just got the iDip. Was expecting them to be the same. Or within .5 of each other. I know there are variances. But I would think a 1.3 variance

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Hanna for about 6 months. Just got the iDip. Was expecting them to be the same. Or within .5 of each other. I know there are variances. But I would think a 1.3 variance
That's not uncommon for different brands to be all over the place in alk. My idip was never the same as my Hanna which was never the same as my red sea. Unless the numbers are way way off don't worry about it and pick a test as your baseline and keep the alk consistent based on that test alone.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Claiming that they have sent Calibration Verification Keys to everyone that requested one is NOT true. They did NOT send one to me after my request was made back in Nov 2018. I never received any calibration keys after privately sending my address to iDip after they asked for it. They made some excuse that they were having trouble sending it to me because of problems they were having sending it across the Canadian border(I live in Toronto, Ontario CANADA).

Really sad, after spending over $500 (Canadian) for their 570 Marine Starter kit. Hope you don’t live across the Canadian border as they don’t appear to want to support Canadian customers.

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Claiming that they have sent Calibration Verification Keys to everyone that requested one is NOT true. They did NOT send one to me after my request was made back in Nov 2018. I never received any calibration keys after privately sending my address to iDip after they asked for it. They made some excuse that they were having trouble sending it to me because of problems they were having sending it across the Canadian border(I live in Toronto, Ontario CANADA).

Really sad, after spending over $500 (Canadian) for their 570 Marine Starter kit. Hope you don’t live across the Canadian border as they don’t appear to want to support Canadian customers.

I got mine. I live in sarnia, Ont. I sent a Pm to them on here and I got it 2 weeks later.

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gotten one either. I have give up on this thing; it is sitting under my bench in my fish room. I haven’t looked at it for months. It’s an awesome idea I just wish they had a product that actually worked

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I got my tank up and running and now I want to start testing water parameters and I have invested in iDip sometime back and I am planning to get refill kit for strips for Cacium, Alk, Nitrate, Phosphate from exact iDip, Just want to get feedback for exact idip, I bought this sometime back and I am sure there have been improvements made to this product.. please advise!

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ravi, Get the full replacement reagents. Make sure to read the updated instructions, especially for the cal and hardness. Make sure to use also the latest test in the app. There should be Alkalinity 2 and Ultra-High Hardness. I've been getting extremely consistent results. Your new tank is looking hot btw :)

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish they would say to put an exact amount of water in the cell. If it is full to the brim i get 1 number, in the video they show them filling it and then pour a bit out? Confuses me. I get 2 totally different readings when taking some out. with Ca they say to put in 3.8mls of water. I wish it was a specific for all tests

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, Videos are confusing, I am very sure that no test kit are going to give us same reading but as long as parameter are close to what is in the tank i am ok, i just want to make sure that reefers are using this product and getting fair results, i don't want to invest in buying strips and they money is down the drain...

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put it at an angle for those tests and let the water pour out till it maintains its meniscus. It should be pretty consistent that way. Once that's full you could measure the water and use that value to fill the cell. I'm pretty sure it's like 4ml.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back