Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using idip for a few years hut have had the best results using a fresh batch of reagents I ordered in October. That and make sure you use the ultra high and latest test versions. I’ve always gotten pretty consistent results. Phosphate spot on. Alk consistent but lower than my hanna by a consistent amount. The Calcium I have no double check for but I’ll take it as a guideline and Magnesium is derived and hasn’t changed much for me (20-60ppm swing). Nitrates I’m in the LO region but this was the original reason I bought he idip, so I’ve seen my nitrates drop from the 30s to LO with this thing.

c50b5912c2d2e4ce34a55a6c7ad41681.jpg

I definitely find that I’m consistent as long as I perform the tests consistently. It takes practice to rinse clean fill zero and then mix the strip and get into a rhythm.

Here’s a sample:

Alk
Hanna - 135, 136, 137
Idip - 120, 120, 123
KH Guardian - 143, 148, 143

Phosphate
Hanna .37, .38, .34
Idip .39, .38, .34

And btw, since that test I’ve watched my phosphate continue to go down as I’ve added GFO and more maintenance back into my routine.

6637f140af95e673115058893af7cc4a.jpg

I plan to send to triton eventually. :)

Last edited:

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your feed back, that is bit difference in alk reading, you can check which kit is accurate when you get your results from triton...

I have the meter already and I have calibrated this with calibration key and it checked out ok, i am planning to order Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Akl and Total hardness to get magnesium readings form exact idip, is this list correct?

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the only other tests are the ammonia and ph.

And yeah it’s a big difference but its pretty rock solid, unlike my experience with titration kits. It’s got enough accuracy to see if my alk is dropping over time and what I need to dose to make up for it. When I’ve added supplement and remeasured, I always get the expected results.

I use a KHG now to measure my alk. After working out the kinks, that device is pretty rock solid, and has caught two issues with my tank that could have been bad. So now I’ve been doing a full round of tests monthly to see how things are doing and keep an eye on the KHG. Maybe one day I’ll add a reefbot but I’m not a huge fan of that atm.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish they would say to put an exact amount of water in the cell. If it is full to the brim i get 1 number, in the video they show them filling it and then pour a bit out? Confuses me. I get 2 totally different readings when taking some out. with Ca they say to put in 3.8mls of water. I wish it was a specific for all tests

Thank you for your feedback! Our apologies for the confusion. While the majority of our tests require the cell to be filled to the top, there are a few tests that require 3.8mls or 3.6mls instead of a full cell. For example, all of our tests that require a liquid reagent require you to pour out a bit of water before adding the reagent. The amount needed is specified on the instructions for each test and we highly recommend checking the appropriate water level before performing each test in order to get lab quality results. However, as long as you use a consistent amount of water for each test, your results will be consistent. See the example below from the instructions for our Total Hardness Ultra High Test II.

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 12.58.43 PM.jpg

-ITS Team

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got mine either. I gave up on this piece of garbage. Not reliable enough to use and the customer service is aweful. It’s a very expensive paper weight now

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eXact iDip - this is not the kind of reputation your company wants from us reefers, if this product turned out to be reliable and test results are good then there are enough of us and your company research and time spent on this product will be paid off with sale.. JMO

AngieRN23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there and through it with them. Even performing the same test in the same way 3-4 times in a row gives different results. I even sent them a water sample - the lab guy didn’t even know what the reef parameters should be. I have to give kudos to George there though - as he was vigilant in trying to help me out. Naturally the suspect was that I was not testing correctly. I’m a registered nurse - lord knows I’m aware of what lines are what on a syringe. Between the idip, Hanna checker, API, and a PH pen from Amazon - to this day I can’t tell you exactly what the true PH of my system even is as they all vary that drastically.
@eXact iDip - this is not the kind of reputation your company wants from us reefers, if this product turned out to be reliable and test results are good then there are enough of us and your company research and time spent on this product will be paid off with sale.. JMO

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there and through it with them. Even performing the same test in the same way 3-4 times in a row gives different results. I even sent them a water sample - the lab guy didn’t even know what the reef parameters should be. I have to give kudos to George there though - as he was vigilant in trying to help me out. Naturally the suspect was that I was not testing correctly. I’m a registered nurse - lord knows I’m aware of what lines are what on a syringe. Between the idip, Hanna checker, API, and a PH pen from Amazon - to this day I can’t tell you exactly what the true PH of my system even is as they all vary that drastically.

I hear you, however this company does testing on pool water and I am sure this is source of their income and there are saltwater pools out there as well, I see potential in this tester only needs little tweaking in chemistry. hopefully they will invest some of their time and effort to make this product better when it comes to marine water. 1 meter for all the tests is great. ..

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got mine either. I gave up on this piece of garbage. Not reliable enough to use and the customer service is aweful. It’s a very expensive paper weight now

We apologize for the delayed response as I see you have attempted to contact us about the key multiple times on this site. We want to sort this out and provide you with everything you need in order to start using your iDip again. Please contact us at [email protected] and we will get this resolved.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your support. If anyone else did not receive a Calibration key, please send us an email at [email protected] and we will get one sent. The Calibration Verification Key is a tool for verifying the calibration of your eXact iDip® and/or EZ Photometer compared to its original
factory settings. Run this test immediately upon receipt and record value for future reference.

For other issues and questions, we can also be reached through email at [email protected], by phone at 1-800-861-9712, or by Facebook message @sensafe.

-ITS Team

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't get the hate on the idip. I've had mine since macna 2016 and I have used for multiple things including:

Reef tank
Planted tank
Pool
Filter for my espresso machine

I can do each of the tests 5 times in a row and be within .1 variance every time. The only other test I've owned that was that good in terms of consistency is the Hanna.

Like any test there's a right way and wrong way to get consistent results. Most people I have seen tend to do the test strip dip during the 20 seconds wrong. It's 2 swishes per second starting at the 20 timer. So every time the unit counts down you do a double swish. When the timer is 1 you don't do a double swish but instead remove the strip and cap it.

As for the water inside the photometer you don't have it so that the water looks convex over the container but instead it has to look concave. If your water looks convex just take the flat side of the cap and run it over the top in a quick motion to clear the container of excess water. It's wrong if when you put the cap on to zero you see water spewing out from the sides.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't get the hate on the idip. I've had mine since macna 2016 and I have used for multiple things including:

Reef tank
Planted tank
Pool
Filter for my espresso machine

I can do each of the tests 5 times in a row and be within .1 variance every time. The only other test I've owned that was that good in terms of consistency is the Hanna.

Like any test there's a right way and wrong way to get consistent results. Most people I have seen tend to do the test strip dip during the 20 seconds wrong. It's 2 swishes per second starting at the 20 timer. So every time the unit counts down you do a double swish. When the timer is 1 you don't do a double swish but instead remove the strip and cap it.

As for the water inside the photometer you don't have it so that the water looks convex over the container but instead it has to look concave. If your water looks convex just take the flat side of the cap and run it over the top in a quick motion to clear the container of excess water. It's wrong if when you put the cap on to zero you see water spewing out from the sides.
Mine also works great. Except for calcium, I get some really high numbers or a reading of hi on the screen. I should be seeing a 400 - 420. Update. Just got off the phone with Idip rep and they’re looking into my issue with calcium. Fingers crossed because I really like this tester

Last edited:

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine and I used this tester 2 years back and it has been in storage, I am sure things are tweaked on this unit and they made it better, I have new marine kit that I got in the mail but my unit was giving me problem, I have sent it back to them so that it could be looked at, I like the idea and I can reach them on the phone and person on the company side was very informative and communication was great, I am waiting for my unit to be sent back, hopefully I will be able start testing again with this unit, I agree with gus6464 getting correct results out of any test kit is to follow instructions from manufacturer and not doing so is going to cause inconsistent results and confusion.. I will be posting my results when I get my unit back, I will compare the results with Elos brand new kits that I bought due to this tester being down, I am sure it happened for good reason...

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with the calcium numbers not being in line with other testers ? Mine continues to read high, the last actual number I got was a 573.60 after that every test just reads “hi” Tried new reagents and strips, no different than the rest of them

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with the calcium numbers not being in line with other testers ? Mine continues to read high, the last actual number I got was a 573.60 after that every test just reads “hi” Tried new reagents and strips, no different than the rest of them

numbers depend on which calcium test you are using, they have 2 calcium test kits and calcium range is different, 1st calcium test kit range is up to 500 ppm and second is Calcium, UH Marine Kit (as CaCO3) which has range from 730 - 1500, if your test kit is showing HI that means it is above 500 and second test kit will be able to give you the correct reading if it is higher than 730,

@eXact iDip® - Please correct me if I am wrong

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back