Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing your display tank or a HT? What dosage are you doing? Just got my CIPRO in today.
I’m going to follow the instructions of the article, planning on dissolving 500mg into a 16oz container. I’ll update with the amount of water I planned to put in...

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to follow the instructions of the article, planning on dissolving 500mg into a 16oz container. I’ll update with the amount of water I planned to put in...
Roger that, I'm doing the 50ml to 500 pill and will triple his dosing since I'm around 210 total volume will see how it does for my acro STN. Wish I'd of had it for some BJD recently

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I bought the 500ml tablet but nope 250ml. So based off of the calculation I’m going to do 1 - 250ml table and per 25ml of water. Just got it dissolving the tablet now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 68

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I bought the 500ml tablet but nope 250ml. So based off of the calculation I’m going to do 1 - 250ml table and per 25ml of water. Just got it dissolving the tablet now
I just got finished doing a 7’x3’x1.25’ frag tank for a bubble coral that had bjd and a few other lps starting to show signs of it. Plus I has some rfa and other nems from a tank buy out that were sickly.

I did 500mg tablet every day for 7 days. No ill affects on anything in the tank. Zoas, nems, sps, shrooms, basically everything is is in there. Macros in sump are fine and so is the pod population. Fish are also good. Bubble looks 100% better, minus the heads that died before treatment and the nems look great now.

I am so glad @AquaBiomics put this out there. I now know I am not alone and crazy, as I have been using cipro for corals for years. Just never in a full blown reef. (The frag tank is basically a reef at this point lol) Always in a qt previously, but it has saved a many of sps and lps I have taken in from neglected tanks or bad/late shipments at the lfs.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got finished doing a 7’x3’x1.25’ frag tank for a bubble coral that had bjd and a few other lps starting to show signs of it. Plus I has some rfa and other nems from a tank buy out that were sickly.

I did 500mg tablet every day for 7 days. No ill affects on anything in the tank. Zoas, nems, sps, shrooms, basically everything is is in there. Macros in sump are fine and so is the pod population. Fish are also good. Bubble looks 100% better, minus the heads that died before treatment and the nems look great now.

I am so glad @AquaBiomics put this out there. I now know I am not alone and crazy, as I have been using cipro for corals for years. Just never in a full blown reef. (The frag tank is basically a reef at this point lol) Always in a qt previously, but it has saved a many of sps and lps I have taken in from neglected tanks or bad/late shipments at the lfs.
Thank you for sharing! I just dropped about 500mg and 14ml concentrate into my 135g of water during lights out. I’m going to be watching a torch and a frogspawn that both looked “off” today. I’ll get some pics in the morning.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 10Ml to 210gal of diluted 500mg in 50ml RODI at lights out, will be doing daily for 5 days and observing throughout.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I dosed 4ml in a 75g. I dosed 3 times over seven days at lights out. I pulled out my bag of carbon, and kept the skimmer running but took the collection cup off. So far everything looks good in the tank.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a call into my lfs for any corals that have bjd in their customers tanks or if they get any in with an order. If some are located, I plan to setup something and document every step of the process. I figured that if cipro can turn the below from death to better, it was worth a shot on other things.

Before
2D615E47-FFAC-4F27-8406-E5B41E5AA5B8.jpeg

After (buried foot about an hour after pic)
F355FEC1-7BC1-4673-B1AD-1EB0555A4439.jpeg

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish I had found this article sooner, I just lost almost all my euphyllias (7 different hammers, a torch, and a cristata). I have one hammer left and was unsure what to do. I'm glad I have this article now for reference if it comes back.
You and me both. Was just thinking that when I saw this thread.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a call into my lfs for any corals that have bjd in their customers tanks or if they get any in with an order. If some are located, I plan to setup something and document every step of the process. I figured that if cipro can turn the below from death to better, it was worth a shot on other things.

Before
2D615E47-FFAC-4F27-8406-E5B41E5AA5B8.jpeg

After (buried foot about an hour after pic)
F355FEC1-7BC1-4673-B1AD-1EB0555A4439.jpeg
Awesome. It is almost instantly that I seen positive results in some corals that I have dipped.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my tank two weeks ago with a slightly more aggressive approach. 7ml instead of the recommend rate for my tank volume of 5.2ml for three days in a row (24 hours apart) with the carbon and skimmer off. I did have issues with my pH dropping. If I do this again I'll run the skimmer with the cup off. No ill effects to the tank inhabitents. The torch coral has stopped melting away (I've lost 2/3 of the heads) and the RTN issues on the SPS have stop. One thing I notice was how clean my glass was staying after treatment. I had an annoying brownish algea that would cover the glass that has since disapeared. My tank is 4 years and 7 months old with large colonies so I'm very annal about what goes in the tank. Deciding to try this treatment was a big decision for me. So far nothing but positive results. Thanks @AquaBiomics for starting this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaBiomics

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, so happy to hear all the success stories. Its hard for me to find enough BJD to do these experiments on my own!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, so happy to hear all the success stories. Its hard for me to find enough BJD to do these experiments on my own!
Same here. I do not have the resources to test bacteria like you do, but have been feeding for 35 years and dosing cipro in controlled environments for quite a few years now.

If I do end up with some bjd corals, I will let you know. I am sure we can figure out some sort of collective process for this and possibly reach an outcome of saving our critters of the sea.

Again, thanks for all the work you have done on this so far.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping in another dose today, we went a little aggressive in the inital dose. 2 gallons water, 500mg Cipro, 14ml Cipro concentrate. I still lost a frogspawn but I think the piece was already on its way out. Watching my greenie torch which looked more closed up the day before. I did treat an eclectus mushroom that wasn’t doing good in a Cipro dip. 30mins 1 Cup of tank water and 1ml Cipro. It seems to be doing better it flattened out and opened up, I’m hoping I can save it.

@AquaBiomics i contaminated the sample of water I was planning on sending you. . I accidentally added Cipro to the container “doh!”. If BJD still occurs in the tank I’ll send a sample your... might send you a treated sample anyways to see if any bacteria remains

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my tank two weeks ago with a slightly more aggressive approach. 7ml instead of the recommend rate for my tank volume of 5.2ml for three days in a row (24 hours apart) with the carbon and skimmer off. I did have issues with my pH dropping. If I do this again I'll run the skimmer with the cup off. No ill effects to the tank inhabitents. The torch coral has stopped melting away (I've lost 2/3 of the heads) and the RTN issues on the SPS have stop. One thing I notice was how clean my glass was staying after treatment. I had an annoying brownish algea that would cover the glass that has since disapeared. My tank is 4 years and 7 months old with large colonies so I'm very annal about what goes in the tank. Deciding to try this treatment was a big decision for me. So far nothing but positive results. Thanks @AquaBiomics for starting this thread.
Good point about having the skimmer cup off while having the gas exchange still going on. My buddy tried this method and it saved his Euphyllias (at least most of them) and his Ph dropped also. Didn't even think about the gas exchange portion of the skimmer.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder how a UV light in our tanks would affect bacterial numbers of this type. I've never used one but if some of you have, I would be interested in what you think.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, @AquaBiomics. Used as part of an STN/RTN stalling/halting effort, and was successful. Only side effect was an increase in phosphates, which makes sense to me. Discussed during Reefdudes' latest livestream. Looking forward to sending in my sample!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back