Fairy Wrasse Acting oddly

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Fairy wrasse is swimming on his side and not moving much. He had bubbles and mucus coming out of his gills earlier today but that stopped and he had a long white poo. I don't know if he has parasites or a spinal injury or if this is normal. He's my first wrasse. Anyone know what's going on?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish seems thin.
Is it eating and has it been eating ? If so, what foods are you feeding?
When did the change in swim behavior begin?

What is your
Ammonia
salinity
nitrate
ph
Tank temperature?

Looking closely at fish, any dots, heavy breathing, scratching, yawning like behavior?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video won’t play for me, but it sounds like you are describing parasites. Could you post the tank conditions, including tankmates, feeding, parameters, etc., just so we can get a good idea as to what might be going on?
I don't have a testing kit right now, but the last time I had it tested was last week. I've been battling an ammonia spike after my son tossed his used diaper into the tank a few weeks ago. I finally got that under control. Mt nitrate was at 50 and nitrites were about the same (going off memory) phosphate was at 0. pH is at 7.8 salinity was a bit high at 1.028 but I've done a few water changes with RO since. Tank mates include a thunder maroon clownfish. A blue damsel a falco dwarf hawk fish and a file fish. Along with the inverts and clean up crew. There are a few coral and anemone. I have an over powered reef octopus protein skimmer for my 75. A few power heads for higher flow and an hob that I use to put phosgaurd and something to help with nitrates. I feed small amounts of pellet food ever day. Every few days I give frozen misis shrimp. And I spot feed reef roids once a week.

OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish seems thin.
Is it eating and has it been eating ? If so, what foods are you feeding?
When did the change in swim behavior begin?

What is your
Ammonia
salinity
nitrate
ph
Tank temperature?

Looking closely at fish, any dots, heavy breathing, scratching, yawning like behavior?
He's been hiding in the rocks ever since I got him. This is the first time he's been out and swimming around. I've not seen him eat much. I posted parameters in another question

OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a testing kit right now, but the last time I had it tested was last week. I've been battling an ammonia spike after my son tossed his used diaper into the tank a few weeks ago. I finally got that under control. Mt nitrate was at 50 and nitrites were about the same (going off memory) phosphate was at 0. pH is at 7.8 salinity was a bit high at 1.028 but I've done a few water changes with RO since. Tank mates include a thunder maroon clownfish. A blue damsel a falco dwarf hawk fish and a file fish. Along with the inverts and clean up crew. There are a few coral and anemone. I have an over powered reef octopus protein skimmer for my 75. A few power heads for higher flow and an hob that I use to put phosgaurd and something to help with nitrates. I feed small amounts of pellet food ever day. Every few days I give frozen misis shrimp. And I spot feed reef roids once a week.
Oh and tank temp is at 78 on a heat controller. Both are new.

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed it tiny pieces of frozen food, does it try to eat it or has lost interest in frozen food?

Would you say one or more of the following symptoms are present?

1. Curled up in a rigid “S” or "C" shape while swimming.

2. Rotating and flipping oddly, as if unable to keep belly down.

3. Tail fin closely gathered.

OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's flipping oddly. Like it's almost constantly swimming on it's side and it won't swish it's tail. It drops down a little. It's just swimming around in a constant circle in the open water when before it didn't leave the rocks

OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's flipping oddly. Like it's almost constantly swimming on it's side and it won't swish it's tail. It drops down a little. It's just swimming around in a constant circle in the open water when before it didn't leave the rocks
It's been trying to eat

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's eating, then keep feeding.

Tomorrow if you notice any more symptoms mentioned above, pls let us know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - was it 'sick' right when you got it - or did the symptoms develop after acclimation? Sometimes - this can be related to a rapid change in salinity - a neurologic problem/injury. Otherwise - agree with the rest of the comments! (I could not view the video)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My new Fairy wrasse is swimming on his side and not moving much. He had bubbles and mucus coming out of his gills earlier today but that stopped and he had a long white poo. I don't know if he has parasites or a spinal injury or if this is normal. He's my first wrasse. Anyone know what's going on?
Maybe this article/thread will help. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/#post-10064607

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been trying to eat

That is a key symptom for what we term "Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease".

Sorry, there isn't a cure known as yet.

Unknown Neurological Wrasse disease (UNWD)

There is a disease that afflicts newly acquired wrasses, usually Cirrhilabrus fairy wrasses or flasher wrasses, Pseudocheilinus, but occasionally other species as well. The gross visual symptoms are always the same; the fish shows a rapid onset of neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine. The other key symptom is that despite this, these wrasses will still attempt to feed. Most aquarists attribute the symptoms to some sort of an injury, such as running into the side of the tank. The trouble with that diagnosis is that these fish do not show external damage (bumped snouts, etc.) that would be expected from such an injury. Other hypothesis include barotrauma from deep water collection, or the use of cyanide to collect these fish. The trouble with these possible causes is that symptoms in other types of fish are known, and are different; emaciation in cyanide collection and swim bladder issues in cases of barotrauma. Mycobacterium has also been implicated, but that issue is more often present in long term captive fish, not newly acquired ones as in these instances.

Eventually, the affected fish becomes weaker and either needs to be euthanized, or dies spontaneously. To date, there is no known cure and the mortality rate seems to be 100%. All that can be said is that it is an unknown peripheral neurological disease. It does not seem to be highly contagious from wrasse to wrasse. The causative agent is possibly viral, but could also be nerve damage from nematodes or from microsporidians. Since the fish still tries to feed, it is unlikely the brain is affected, more likely only the spinal column or muscle nerves.

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to eat? or eating?

The fish doesn't look great in the video, but I don't think it's a lost cause yet. It looks thin and weak, and not swimming great, but as long as it's still trying to eat, you have a chance.

It might have worms or intestinal parasites going on, preventing it from getting much nutrition..

Do you have a QT tank you can put it in?

I would probably try dosing prazi x2, nine days apart and dose Metroplex to the tank every other day between.
if it's eating you can try to give it some medicated food. food mixed with some Focus and Metro or GC.

OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to eat? or eating?

The fish doesn't look great in the video, but I don't think it's a lost cause yet. It looks thin and weak, and not swimming great, but as long as it's still trying to eat, you have a chance.

It might have worms or intestinal parasites going on, preventing it from getting much nutrition..

Do you have a QT tank you can put it in?

I would probably try dosing prazi x2, nine days apart and dose Metroplex to the tank every other day between.
if it's eating you can try to give it some medicated food. food mixed with some Focus and Metro or GC.
He's doing both trying and actually eating. I've been trying to lure him out of the rocks since I got him. All my other fish are a nice weight but this guy. I will see about dosing the tank.

OP
OP
TwistyTale

TwistyTale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a key symptom for what we term "Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease".

Sorry, there isn't a cure known as yet.

Unknown Neurological Wrasse disease (UNWD)

There is a disease that afflicts newly acquired wrasses, usually Cirrhilabrus fairy wrasses or flasher wrasses, Pseudocheilinus, but occasionally other species as well. The gross visual symptoms are always the same; the fish shows a rapid onset of neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine. The other key symptom is that despite this, these wrasses will still attempt to feed. Most aquarists attribute the symptoms to some sort of an injury, such as running into the side of the tank. The trouble with that diagnosis is that these fish do not show external damage (bumped snouts, etc.) that would be expected from such an injury. Other hypothesis include barotrauma from deep water collection, or the use of cyanide to collect these fish. The trouble with these possible causes is that symptoms in other types of fish are known, and are different; emaciation in cyanide collection and swim bladder issues in cases of barotrauma. Mycobacterium has also been implicated, but that issue is more often present in long term captive fish, not newly acquired ones as in these instances.

Eventually, the affected fish becomes weaker and either needs to be euthanized, or dies spontaneously. To date, there is no known cure and the mortality rate seems to be 100%. All that can be said is that it is an unknown peripheral neurological disease. It does not seem to be highly contagious from wrasse to wrasse. The causative agent is possibly viral, but could also be nerve damage from nematodes or from microsporidians. Since the fish still tries to feed, it is unlikely the brain is affected, more likely only the spinal column or muscle nerves.

Jay
That's... Not good news. I'm really disappointed, I love this guy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back