Favorite Reefing Subject in the R2R School Of Reefing? Class is now in session!

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 81 12.4%
  • B

Votes: 275 42.0%
  • C

Votes: 221 33.8%
  • D

Votes: 49 7.5%
  • F

Votes: 24 3.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been trying to do shots like this on my crappy phone but it never works out. What camera do you use? Anything special?
See this post about my camera setup:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird homeschooler that got beat up on the buss here. Too lazy to QT or vacusuck the gravel.
Thank goodness I am very lucky
I love my fish and am specializing in large crabs.
IMG_3604-M.jpg

Glass cleaning needs improvement.

Last edited:

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome class!

Pretend you're in the R2R School of Reefing and you had to learn all you could about reefing while you were here. Like anything in life you're gonna have subjects that just bore you to tears or that you have no interest in at all. Maybe the subjects are just really hard to learn and are more work than fun. On the other hand there are those certain subjects that you just LOVE to learn about and LOVE to talk about! You get to "reefing class" early and stay late to talk about those subjects and it's the things that really keep you interested in reefing school. So let's talk about those subjects today! Ok class is now in session!

1. If R2R was a reefing school what would be your MOST FAVORITE subject?

2. What reefing subject would you consider to be an "advanced class" for you?

3. Finally, what subject do you DISLIKE the most?

school of reefing.jpg
Hmmmm
Well this is kinda tricky for me because I certainly don't feel confident in any subject but I know I've done my research and most everything I have is alive (I've had the angel of death touch with a few fish and coral ☠️). My MOST fav subject currently is dosing! I'm really trying to keep my parameters stable as it's eaten, regurgitated, eaten and yes... regurgitated over and over and over (I think you get the point ) in this hobby. Also, aminos and trace elements really have me intrigued because I've heard/read those components are what make show stopping colorful corals. Now..... What subject do I feel like I am at the "top" of my class in?!? Gosh... Honistly none at the moment as I'm still working on keeping my parameters stable. But I do fully understand the worth and appreciate the value of GOING SLOW AND DOING YOUR RESEARCH!! I'm not talking about accepting the first google answer you stumble on but ACTUALLY researching so that you have an idea of what is going on, what your about to do and what potentialy is going to change. As far as the subject I "DISLIKE"?? Well, it's not really that I dislike the subject but more of being super frustrated... And I have two haha 1: I don't understand how some reefers can use reefroids and it not blow their phosphates out of the water (). I mean, I tried it once and used 1/2 of what was recommended and it still jumped me an entire digit.... Like one whole number I've seen how coral react to the stuff in videos and I so badly want that experience but I can't be having my phosphates in the 2s or even 3s.... Maybe when I stabilize my tank I'll try again... And the 2nd frustrating topic is... Yes.... Coral naming.... Don't get me wrong lol I love a good catchy name that just amplifies the experience but hell there are like no resources available to reefers that are trying to identify what is being sold to them. Like I honistly STILL don't know what makes a NYK torch a "NYK' torch. Or even a dragon soul or hellfire lol I feel like we should have a better grasp on the naming... Smh... Anyways haha that's my rant. Happy Reefing

Last edited:

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F - I dont have anything but a disgusting empty tank so far. My initial cycle has gone off the deep end and I cant seem to get anything right. Im reading a ton and learning as I go.
Don't be shy to post questions or pick our collective brain. There are wonderful, understanding people here who are passionate about this hobby and ready to help anyone who needs it.

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was cruising along with a solid B. Last week, did maintenance on the Vectra S1. Things were wet and slippery so used a wrench and piece of cloth to tighten the collar. *CRACK*...over tightened and cracked the collar. Still waiting for replacement part from Ecotech. Probably have to be reschooled on plumbing basics because it's probably an F in that subject at the moment. :rolleyes:

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave myself a B. I have done a lot of research but I've still made a lot of mistakes so far.

1. If R2R was a reefing school what would be your MOST FAVORITE subject?
Fish behavior, I love watching my fish interact with each other and with me.

2. What reefing subject would you consider to be an "advanced class" for you?
Flow and filtration, freshwater tanks seem to be a lot easier... even when doing some fancy aquascapes, there are just fewer parameters to track and maintain.

3. Finally, what subject do you DISLIKE the most?
Patience, I really just want to jump forward and add more coral and more fish... it's hard to be patient as to not crash my tank.

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider myself a B student in reefing. I try to get info from multiple places and then make my decision but sometimes I'm impulsive too.

1. Favorite subject: Water Chemistry. I love learning new things.

2. Advanced Class: coral classification. So much to learn!

3. Dislike the Most: Tank maintenance. I know it's important but it's just bit enjoyable to scrape algae. .

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I say a C.

My tank was started on the budget plan, even to the point of buying something every payday ( which is once a month ). Sold enough paintings finally to get the tank and stand.
Took 3 months to get the sand and the last few items. Cycled the old way of adding ammonia.

Finally got to the adding fish and the first one was my baby, a pinnatus batfish!
Had to beat it in to the sister in laws head to stop spraying air fresheners and carpet powders close to the tank. Finally get everything going and looking great and,...........

I now have a gha outbreak I have been fighting for several months.
But, I'm not giving up.. I'm getting better gear.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give myself a C+. All fish, inverts and corals are doing great. Would give myself a solid B+, but I'm currently fighting a nasty bryopsis outbreak. Besides, I don't think the teacher likes me.

Favorite subject: Recess. (watching the tank)

Best subject: Phys Ed (cleaning glass, changing/washing socks, cleaning skimmer cup, etc...)

Advanced class: Chemistry (keeping things stable)

Least favorite subject: Botany (keeping algae in the sump and not in the DT)

Oh yeah. And Dory "the hippo" in the third row keeps giving me the stink eye in class. Gives me the creeps.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to be graded on how far I have come from day one to now I think I would get a good grade. If I was to be tested against all the other reefers I may not do as hot lol. Hopefully instructor grades on a scale

I choose the elective “budget reefing 101” which consists of purchasing used equipment and live stock from local reefers. Turned out to be a crash course In fixing other people’s problems lol.

my favorite course would be another elective “reef tanks and mental health” I really get an understanding of the enjoyment and satisfaction that can come in this hobby. And was prepared for the disappointments or obstacles that could come.

my lease favorite course would be pest and illness treatment including QT and coral dipping- It’s very discouraging to have ick or velvet or other pests and sucks to have tank fallow and follow proper qt. But losing fish or corals is worse. This is the lease fun subject.

also- all the rich kids have cooler school supplies

photo from 1st day of school: (used tank with canister filter and cheesy lights)
8828B1B4-C06C-48D6-A601-1DE8786C17DB.jpeg

Graduation day! (Sump, chiller, doser, reactors, uv, mp40’s, decent lighting, etc)
018CFB93-9A96-44D8-80DB-89E6120164EF.jpeg

Last edited:

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to be graded on how far I have come from day one to now I think I would get a good grade. If I was to be tested against all the other reefers I may not do as hot lol. Hopefully instructor grades on a scale

I choose the elective “budget reefing 101” which consists of purchasing used equipment and live stock from local reefers. Turned out to be a crash course In fixing other people’s problems lol.

my favorite course would be another elective “reef tanks and mental health” I really get an understanding of the enjoyment and satisfaction that can come in this hobby. And was prepared for the disappointments or obstacles that could come.

my lease favorite course would be pest and illness treatment including QT. It’s very discouraging to have ick or velvet and sucks to have tank fallow and follow proper qt. This is the lease fun subject.

also- all the rich kids have cooler school supplies

photo from 1st day of school:
8828B1B4-C06C-48D6-A601-1DE8786C17DB.jpeg

Graduation day!
018CFB93-9A96-44D8-80DB-89E6120164EF.jpeg
Nice! I think you graduated in the top of the class

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would get a F my tank is consistently having issue after issue and I cannot for the life of me keep any soft coral alive for some reason.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back