I am under the belief that a company should never sacrifice quality over quantity, and it should never be used as an excuse because we sell more.
As
@tastyfish stated there is a thread with a wealth of detail on the differences between GHL and Neptune Systems. I should know :)(
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers-from-apex-to-ghl.316106/)
Reefers need to decide what is important to them, and then decide which controller meets their needs.
When I switched 2 years ago, GHL documentation was only in a few locations. I must have read what felt like 100’s of forums most not US to learn what the controller was about, but at the end I jumped because reliability and stability was what I needed. Without stability and reliability your controller is a nuisance, that could damage your investment and livestock of the hobby we all love :)
When the Apex 2016 came out, which I bought because of the Trident supposedly coming soon, and for the power monitoring my nightmares began. The stability, and reliability I use to have with my Apex Classic and then my Apex Gold was gone. I had crashes, lost money and felt that this was no longer the direction for me. Count the WAV, and DOS, DDR issues, I felt the company which I supported no longer deserved my support, on top of it started to impact my love of reefing.
Like others on this thread I am away from home. I rely on my controller to do tasks that I can not do because I am not there. I use my controller not to just monitor but also control. Users argue your bound to have an issue if you hand the keys over to a controller. I agree someday I will run into an issue, but the idea of the failsafe’s and redundancies that you put in place mitigate the risk your willing to take. Why start with a known risk that the brains that run the heart of your operations is unstable?
Once a reefer loses confidence in the Manufacture and your seeing it here, they are going to switch. 7 Years Ago, my Apex Classic and then Apex Gold, I could not say enough good things about Neptune Systems. Those devices were rock solid, never failed, and I had confidence knowing what was monitoring and controlling my tank was doing its job. With this in mind, I kept expanding and adding more modules increasing my stake in Neptune Systems.
Your seeing the same sediment here on the forums. People are spending hard earn dollars and the product should work, and Neptune Systems use to have that track record and they no longer do and with the use of the great forums of reef2reef are posting as such.
I read the posts that Neptune Systems have more units out in the market therefore they are bound to have more issues, or look at the forums see all the posts about Apex products. I am not going to sugar coat it, that Neptune Systems may have more controllers on the market then GHL but one can not argue that the quality between both manufactures are night and day.
Reefers have choices!! Does GHL do everything Neptune Systems done no, but neither does Neptune Systems do everything GHL does.
Both manufactures have a different vision, mindset, and a core principle. With a little bit of research, and a few searches of the forums you can see those differences.
Reefers in the end will choose the manufacture that best fits their needs :)
My only advice is do not comprise stability and reliability, it will bite you if not now it will later.