Feeding Copperband butterflyfish

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way the secret to getting copperbands eating is clams. Every CBB I've had for over 2 years has started on claims. The first was a blue squamosa clam, after that I learned freshwater clams work just as well.

The local super store carries trays of live clams. I would freeze the clams, then Crack them in half and elastic them to a tile. The clam/ tile was then put where the CBB was hanging out. It takes a few days but after seeing the fish eating the clam the CBB would as well. You may need a couple clams in a couple spots to make sure the CBB gets a chance to try the clams.

Now I use the clams mixed into my home made frozen preparation and the fish love it.

My current CBB was the same size as the OP's CBB when I purchased the fish. We are right about a year and it's doubled in size and actually fights the tangs for its fare share.

I have tried this with 4 CBB and have gotten the same result. I have yet to loose one. That being said IMO 50% is making sure the fish is fed and 50% the quality of fish I am getting. I always start with golf ball size fish. Never any larger.

Ha! Mine picks on my yellow tang too

Interesting you start with small ones. Bought mine as a size large for sure.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise aiptasia in a separate tank for my cbb. It eats mysis like a champ, but nothing else will touch the aiptasia so I throw in a couple every day as a treat for it. Pecks at mussels and clams but not very much. Black and white worms still wriggling are its favorite.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise aiptasia in a separate tank for my cbb. It eats mysis like a champ, but nothing else will touch the aiptasia so I throw in a couple every day as a treat for it. Pecks at mussels and clams but not very much. Black and white worms still wriggling are its favorite.
I have a nano that’s overrun by aiptasia, I just take a rock out and something in the tank rats the aiptasia - I’m guessing it’s the CBB, although I have around 9-10 other fish in there

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've trained quite a few Finicky Copperbands over the years. Always trained my Copperband Fish in small 10G quarentine tank (Alone).

Once trained to eat consistantly (Mysis) a few days they went into Large DT (90-110G) with other fish..

For me nothings works better than Masstick Food as the initial training food.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/masstick-fish-food-easy-reefs.html

Copperband will smell it a mile away, once they settle in.

Worked every time to get the Copperband to start eatting enought to get an appetite. Then introduce Myssis, as they learn to catch floating pieces.

The key is it to get them eatting so they don't get sick or if thin die of starvation.

Here is how I use the Masstick to tain my copperabands. Basically setup an feeding station you can get-in and get-out and refill. (Using a tong, or twezzer)..... A Meal Plate the Copperband recognizes as a Food (Target). Not a stumbled upon food floating around (Luck).

BTW. There is no one secret. There are 4 secrets besides food. Patience, Persistance, hope, and luck.

Last edited:

GarrettP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept two of these and both lasted 4-5 years. They were actually quite easy fish for me once they got established. In the beginning I used a turkey baster to spot feed Mysis. Just let it trickle out the end in front of him so he has lots of chances to try it. Mine would eventually stick his nose right in the baster and start to pull out shrimp. After he's fattened up a bit you can stop spot feeding. Once they get a taste for the shrimp they will be the first to the table at most feedings and you stop spot feeding.

I feed mine only brine and Mysis soaked in a vitamin mix, twice a day because they don't store much fat at all. Neither of mine ever ate flake or pellet, not that I didn't try. Fresh only.

Ninic Luka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive owned my CBB for 1.5 years, as long as it gets eating properly (The leopard wrasse should help it with that) then passes the 6 month mark in captivity you should have a good specimen that will work longterm, although they can get to 8” in the wild (I’ve not seen one that was above 3”) As long as the pod population remains stable (Mines been fluctuating recently because my LFS never has any pods in stock) and your CBB remains looking ‘fat’ you should be alright when he’s on mysis
im planing on getting one and outting it in qt with bangaii cardinal should it help to start eating frozen i have musslea for start they always ut that form what i read

Ninic Luka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a thread on here not long ago of a Copperband starving but it ate mysis great. They swapped to meatier foods and it recovered well. Most people do not have your tank and if they feed small foods, I would question if they feed enough.

This mine fed clams and worms and LRS. It came to me already eating mysis and was skinny.

502F7247-502C-479D-8DBD-048209904078.jpeg

Found some old pics of it. It was eating mysis like a champ from previous place and it looked skinny as heck.

26D2C556-C529-4E36-98D3-444706989F8C.jpeg

3660F8D7-26AB-497A-A198-9D4559A10436.jpeg
what did you switch myscis with?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back