Filter set up for fluval evo 13.5

chale95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fluval evo and am in the process of upgrading the filter. I have a protein skimmer in chamber 1 and got the InTank basket for chamber 2. I have chemi pure in the top, purigen in the middle and filter floss in the bottom. I’m still getting some particles in the water, so I’m wondering if this is the best set up? Should I nix the protein skimmer and get the InTank chamber 1 basket?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fluval evo and am in the process of upgrading the filter. I have a protein skimmer in chamber 1 and got the InTank basket for chamber 2. I have chemi pure in the top, purigen in the middle and filter floss in the bottom. I’m still getting some particles in the water, so I’m wondering if this is the best set up? Should I nix the protein skimmer and get the InTank chamber 1 basket?
I have this tank (this is my build thread) and I don't run a skimmer. To me, it's too finnicky and too much work to keep it dialed in (water levels change rapidly in this tank, even with an ATO) for very little reward. Weekly water changes are enough for me, though some people do swear by their skimmers.

I have a media basket in chamber 1 with floss on top (which helps particles and sediment from getting anywhere else in my sump), Chemi Pure Blue on the middle shelf, and biomedia on the bottom. Chamber 2 is just some rubble and 2 mangroves (for aesthetics, not functional purposes). Heater, ATO, return pump, and doser line are all in chamber 3. I actually had the InTank Chamber 1 basket, but I gave it away and picked this one up instead. My issue with the InTank is that it didn't funnel the flow strong enough through the overflow. So I still had sediment/scum on top of the water. The 3DOcean basket solved that issue (the guy who makes them is active on the 13.5 EVO owners facebook group and uses them in his tanks). It's cheaper too which doesn't hurt. Right now, I've got crystal clear water and a clean surface.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a 12g tank for 15 years now without a skimmer. I think in a tank that small that surface skimming, not overwhelming the bioload, and water changes are enough.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to set up mine (currently in the garage) with a ZooMed canister filter (think it's turtle 35 (it is the same as the fish canister filter that is "reef safe", but I cant remember the name)). canister intake goes in the pump chamber and canister return connects to the fluval return. The filter is not totally clear, however, it looks clear enough to shine a grow light through for growing chaeto. . . thats my current EVO upgrade plan, feel free to "steal" the idea if it suites your needs.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an Evo for years, and through trial and error, here is the best setup. Intank chamber one. Add floss to the top, all other chemical and bio filter under. Chamber 2, you need a 3d printed media basked that redirects flow to the top of the chamber (there's a bunch out there). Use floss on top and then the rest of the chamber as a fuge. Chamber 3 is your return and your heater. Just be sure to stay on top of your filter floss changes (atleast once a week) and watch the water level, so it doesn't drop too far and break your heater.

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank (this is my build thread) and I don't run a skimmer. To me, it's too finnicky and too much work to keep it dialed in (water levels change rapidly in this tank, even with an ATO) for very little reward. Weekly water changes are enough for me, though some people do swear by their skimmers.

I have a media basket in chamber 1 with floss on top (which helps particles and sediment from getting anywhere else in my sump), Chemi Pure Blue on the middle shelf, and biomedia on the bottom. Chamber 2 is just some rubble and 2 mangroves (for aesthetics, not functional purposes). Heater, ATO, return pump, and doser line are all in chamber 3. I actually had the InTank Chamber 1 basket, but I gave it away and picked this one up instead. My issue with the InTank is that it didn't funnel the flow strong enough through the overflow. So I still had sediment/scum on top of the water. The 3DOcean basket solved that issue (the guy who makes them is active on the 13.5 EVO owners facebook group and uses them in his tanks). It's cheaper too which doesn't hurt. Right now, I've got crystal clear water and a clean surface.
yep, have this tank as well and both chamber media baskets ...

definitely need to run the floss at the intake otherwise your media bags will get very very quickly clogged, will play havoc with being able to properly use an ATO sensor in 3rd chamber (if you plan) and more important will prevent water from flowing thru media!

also, super inconvenient to have to take the intank shelf out just to change floss - if you do in chamber 1, you can just take out from the top and replace!

no skimmer, not needed

chamber 1:
- floss @ top
- GFO and purigen @ middle
- carbon @ bottom

chamber 2 - took the "middle shelf" out and just run a bag of carbon (another, yep) and chemipure blue on that shelf

heater, apex probes, ATO in chamber 3 ... i should put my dose tubes in there, too! good idea

novatoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the intank chamber 1 for Fluval 13.5 so the water flows top to
Bottom. I am seeing on here people are putting mechanical, chemical, and then biological but other places say you MUST put chemical after biological. Right now I have filter floss on top, chemipure blue in the middle then bio rings on the bottom. Will this work or should I switch the chemipure and bio rings?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bottom. I am seeing on here people are putting mechanical, chemical, and then biological but other places say you MUST put chemical after biological. Right now I have filter floss on top, chemipure blue in the middle then bio rings on the bottom. Will this work or should I switch the chemipure and bio rings?
I always though chemical went last. . . but I could be wrong.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically have the same setup in my EVO. The top spot obviously needs to be the floss since it's responsible for trapping larger debris before it gets into your sump area. The other two are really interchangeable, but I put the chemical filtration under the floss and bio media at the bottom. My thought process is this:
  1. Floss filters out macro stuff/surface sludge and need to be changed most frequently so it belong on top.
  2. Chemi-Pure removes chemicals and nasties while "polishing" water - these have a finite life and need to be replaced semi-regularly, so middle makes sense since you don't need to pull the media basket all the way out to get the nano packets or bag, whatever you're using.
  3. Bio rings/media are just added surface area for nitrifying bacteria, just like the rock in your display. You don't need to change them, you can just leave them at the bottom of your InTank
I got rid of my InTank and picked up the 3DOcean basket a while back and am glad I did. It has a slot for the floss and a slot for the chemical media - the bottom of the basket is open and the bio rings just stay on the bottom of Chamber 1. So when I pull it out to change the Chemi-Pure, the bio media doesn't budge.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you using chemi pure blue, are you using one nano packet at a time, or more? And how often are you changing it?

Also, is there concern for bio media pores becoming clogged below the baskets? Wouldn’t it be a decent idea to say keep them at the end of the 2nd chamber so they can be pulled up, then rinsed/shaken off in say old water change water?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no single answer. I used 2 packets, but I started with one. At first, even one was too much as it quickly zeroed nitrate and phosphate. So I’d start with one, and test daily to see how well it’s working and then go from there. Trial and error.

bio media can go in either chamber. I had mine in chamber 1 and had no issue. You can rinse them in old tank water occasionally if you’re worried, but it’s not necessary. As your tank becomes more established, the rock in your display is going to be the vast majority of your bio filter anyway.

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the InTank Chamber 1 basket, but I gave it away and picked this one up instead. My issue with the InTank is that it didn't funnel the flow strong enough through the overflow. So I still had sediment/scum on top of the water. The 3DOcean basket solved that issue (the guy who makes them is active on the 13.5 EVO owners facebook group and uses them in his tanks). It's cheaper too which doesn't hurt. Right now, I've got crystal clear water and a clean surface.
Mind if I ask; what filter media do you have in your 3Docean basket? And do you put anything under the basket?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back