Filter sock issue

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to having a sump and I am not sure if this is normal or what...

but i have 2 seven in filter socks that when put in their hole have small air gaps under them and let water pass under the sock and run down the fleece on the outside instead of going into it. Also when I turn one of the socks it lowers the water level in the overflow into the sock from the display and less water goes into the socks (meaning more water goes under the socks) I took a picture to show what i mean. Almost zero water goes through the second sock.

Is this normal or what? It's a tideline 36.

PXL_20220123_052403194.jpg

PXL_20220123_052414526.jpg

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say, try a different sock (shorter) that is not touching the sump floor...I am not familiar with Tidal... I own a fiji 36 with 3 sock holes, I use the four-inch socks instead.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the sock section is possibly just not compatible with the socks you have sourced. I had a skimz sump and it wouldn't take red seas socks for example. The collar is just slightly different. Maybe try a different brand of sock?

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are the socks that came with the sump, that's the strange part.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was brand new off the shelf from my lfs
That does not mean much those socks could have been just thrown In. If the sock touch’s bottom of sump it will be hard for the weight of the water to hold the sock down in place

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try to use some plastic chip clips to shorten the bottom of the sock by possibly folding it in clipping it to see if this will fix your issue before you buy shorter socks

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a clip and turned it inside out and it actually made it worse and more water was going under the plastic ring on the socks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a clip and turned it inside out and it actually made it worse and more water was going under the plastic ring on the socks
If the bottom of the sock is not touching the bottom of the sump than the weight of the water going through the sock should hold it down in place maybe you need to push it down to get this process started and then the water flowing will keep it in place

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back