Fireworm situation killing my tank

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 10 yr old 18 Gallon Nano tank that has live sand, live Hawaiian rock and until recently a pair of Osc Clowns. The tank now has 1 female Osc clown about 2" long, 4 snails, 2 small hermit crabs and one larger Halloween hermit crab. It also has 2 bubble tip Anemone, with one larger and pink, the other is smaller and white. I have many Hawaiian Fire worms in the tank, I know 1 is at least 2' long. So far they have killed and eaten 2 Arrow crabs and 1 hermit crab. The Arrows were pretty big :confused:. Last night I found just the legs of the hermit crab under the shell my anemone is hiding in. I circled this in the pic. I am worried about my clown because last night she was really erratic and swimming back and forth like she wanted to get out. I thought the small male clown died of natural causes but now I wonder.:eek: My levels are tested weekly so everything is good.

I have tried the nylon sock method and the first night caught 10, but the 2nd night caught only 4. So reaching out for help before I lose any more of my tank. The smaller Anemone is stressed and now inside a shell protecting herself. Twice I have had to move her because I saw 4 -6 worms sitting under her shell like they were planning an attack. I used tweezers and plucked 3 before they all disappear back into the rock. So literally every few hours I check the tank. I have done some research on traps. The one I like is expensive but might get it anyways. It will still take a week to get here, so think I am going to fresh water dip the rock and try to get as many as I can until the trap gets here. How long can I dip the live rock? Looks like I have some pineapple sponge, will they survive the dip? Where can I get the 3d traps faster? Do I dare try another predator? Any suggestions? I am new so if this is not considered a tank emergency please let me know where to post this thread. Thanks!

20200223_170954.jpg 20200223_132338.jpg 20200222_213919.jpg 20200223_133441.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles.Have you considered building your own trap?

Be sure that you are not over feeding the tank. Dipping the rocks in freshwater would kill the sponges and a lot of the beneficial bacteria living on them.In such a small aquarium I would worry about this creating a ammonia spike.You may want to save this idea as a last resort.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo of the worm appears to be a bristle worm - harmless to your other tank inhabitants and easily controllable via feeding habits.

Are you sure you didn't just find the emerald crab molt? How stable is your salinity? IME inverts don't like swinging salinity and their molts look pretty much like a dead one.

A red flashlight in the middle of the night with no other lights on anywhere near the tank will do wonders helping you discover what is lurking around in the tank.

So far though - I'm not so sure you have any evidence of a predatory worm

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles.Have you considered building your own trap?

Be sure that you are not over feeding the tank. Dipping the rocks in freshwater would kill the sponges and a lot of the beneficial bacteria living on them.In such a small aquarium I would worry about this creating a ammonia spike.You may want to save this idea as a last resort.
Yes I am getting to that last resort part, today during the day my large anemone was attacked by a 1" worm, luckily I grabbed my tweezers and got it off her. She killed it but it did a lot of damage and she is all closed up. I don't have a drill to make the hole in the home made trap. The trap has to be opaque or they dont go it. I will try to make one but not really mechanically inclined at all. My first trap was a disaster. I attached a pic of the Anemone, what should I do for her? Will she be ok?

20200224_153320.jpg

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS
The Local fish store recommended a coral dip for this, will that work?

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo of the worm appears to be a bristle worm - harmless to your other tank inhabitants and easily controllable via feeding habits.

Are you sure you didn't just find the emerald crab molt? How stable is your salinity? IME inverts don't like swinging salinity and their molts look pretty much like a dead one.

A red flashlight in the middle of the night with no other lights on anywhere near the tank will do wonders helping you discover what is lurking around in the tank.

That is not a bristle worm, I was stung by one and it caused immediate fire going up my arm and made my blood pressure so high it landed me in the hospital. I now have to take BP meds because it damaged the part in your brain that controls blood pressure. This worm is neuro and cardio toxic. No joke, horrible experience and I can assure you this IS a fire worm.

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fireworms, typical bristle worms and they are not harming a thing in your tank unless it is detritus.

You have other issues that is not worm related. What are your parameters?
That is not a bristle worm, I was stung by one and it caused immediate fire going up my arm and made my blood pressure so high it landed me in the hospital. I now have to take BP meds because it damaged the part in your brain that controls blood pressure. This worm is neuro and cardio toxic. No joke, horrible experience and I can assure you this IS a fire worm.

These are NOT harmless, they attacked my large Anemone today, I am taking my water in to get checked just in case but never had any problems with numbers.

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fireworms, typical bristle worms and they are not harming a thing in your tank unless it is detritus.

You have other issues that is not worm related. What are your parameters?

I am taking a water sample today since I dont have a complete testing kit. My numbers have not been an issue in the tank except for an occasional PH adjustment.

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh forgot to address the crab molt, the crab piece was not a molt, molts are an exact whole piece, this had tissue hanging on the end and the legs were complete, not a skeleton.

My evidence happened today, I saw a 1" worm attack my large anemone, and she is not doing well

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a drill to make the hole in the home made trap. The trap has to be opaque or they dont go it. I will try to make one but not really mechanically inclined at all.

I made a similar trap to the one up above with a smaller bottle, and straws and it worked really well. I am by no means mechanically inclined... to make my DIY Red Sea screen kit I used a large serrated bread knife to cut the metal sides... didn't work very well, but its functional. Anyways my point is the trap was fairly easy to make. Also as mentioned above, I have little to no tools and definitely not a drill. I just used a knife, probably the same one I used on the screen, to puncture the bottle and then wiggled it around to make the hole bigger. Stuck the straws in and then put it next the the rocks they are always at, next day a had a couple small ones in there so i dumped it out and put it back, following day I had a huge one half in half out so I caught it quick with my tongs before it came all the way out... my husband called me a the worm wrangler for a while.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your temp and salinity? I'm seeing a bleached anemone or near bleached. The picture you posted is a bristle worm, they can cause pain and irritation at the wound site. Sometimes bacteria that enters the wound(s) can cause more issues than the sting itself.
Fire worms will have a more solid color pattern, mostly uniform colors and not a distinct red/purple in half of its body. Also, bristle worms will only eat dying or dead tissue and almost will never "attack" a healthy animal. If you have a large fire worm in your nano, its presence would've made its self known long ago, unless it's getting a steady supply of food? You mentioned the tank being 10 years old, any recent changes, additions? If you truly suspect a fire worm, I suggest taking the rock out and placing it in a bin and misting the surface of the rock with tank or new saltwater until the worm comes out. Prop the rock up on eggcrate or something else, so it doesn't become submerged in water. Misting will keep any die-off to a minimum. Wear gloves.
I suspect water parameters being the culprit. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a similar trap to the one up above with a smaller bottle, and straws and it worked really well. I am by no means mechanically inclined... to make my DIY Red Sea screen kit I used a large serrated bread knife to cut the metal sides... didn't work very well, but its functional. Anyways my point is the trap was fairly easy to make. Also as mentioned above, I have little to no tools and definitely not a drill. I just used a knife, probably the same one I used on the screen, to puncture the bottle and then wiggled it around to make the hole bigger. Stuck the straws in and then put it next the the rocks they are always at, next day a had a couple small ones in there so i dumped it out and put it back, following day I had a huge one half in half out so I caught it quick with my tongs before it came all the way out... my husband called me a the worm wrangler for a while.

I will give this trap making another try, thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your temp and salinity? I'm seeing a bleached anemone or near bleached. The picture you posted is a bristle worm, they can cause pain and irritation at the wound site. Sometimes bacteria that enters the wound(s) can cause more issues than the sting itself.
Fire worms will have a more solid color pattern, mostly uniform colors and not a distinct red/purple in half of its body. Also, bristle worms will only eat dying or dead tissue and almost will never "attack" a healthy animal. If you have a large fire worm in your nano, its presence would've made its self known long ago, unless it's getting a steady supply of food? You mentioned the tank being 10 years old, any recent changes, additions? If you truly suspect a fire worm, I suggest taking the rock out and placing it in a bin and misting the surface of the rock with tank or new saltwater until the worm comes out. Prop the rock up on eggcrate or something else, so it doesn't become submerged in water. Misting will keep any die-off to a minimum. Wear gloves.

Thanks! The one smaller Anemone is stressed, it has been attacked 3x. I was informed they turn white when stressed. The recent changes were adding the 2 anemones about 4 months ago. I suspect the loss of the 2 Arrow crabs and hermit crab are from the fire worm.

Replying to what you said about my sting, the fire burning sensation was instant after the sting. That comes from fire worms because the toxin is attacking your nervous system. It also raised my blood pressure to critical levels in a matter of minutes. I am athletically inclined so not out of shape or anything. There are many types of fireworms. I will try the misting, that is a great idea, thank you!

OP
OP
Charlotte44

Charlotte44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oh My temp is 72, the salinity is 1.024. Originally the salinity was 1.019 when just the clowns were in the tank. So that was another change.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the little red ones myself and yeah 2" is about the limit in size. I've only ever brushed against one and it hasn't been too bad. Never seen any of them harm anything though and generally can be found under rocks or overflow eating detritus. If my veggie clip is too low they will get in the nori, at night, and the tangs won't touch it. My preference would be in getting a coral banded shrimp who live for fire/bristle worms. Back in the early 90's I got a few boxes of Hawaiian rock (still have it :) and bristle worms. There were some that came out at night in excess of 12". On more than one occasion I got to watch clash of the titans with a CB shrimp battling a worm many times his size. The shrimp always won. Those worms actually blasted out something that looked like clouds of black dye while they were standing up vertical.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back