JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After posting about my refugium over in the macroalgae forum I decided why not post up my whole build progression while I'm at it.
First off, I suppose this would be considered a budget build by most standards, and/or DIY, nearly everything was repurposed from old builds during my last foray in the hobby (I intend for this foray to be much longer). Initial equipment as follows, give or take a thingy or a whatzit.

AquaEuro USA 20 Gallon AIO - from... maybe the mid 2000's? Got it for $20 at a garage sale 6 or 7 years ago.
Current USA Orbit Marine LED 18"-24" - Old, got it back when it cost over $200 :rolleyes:
Tetra 75 Watt Preset Heater - Old
Beckett 290 GPH Fountain Pump - Old
Boyu(?) WG-308 120 LPH Protein Skimmer - Old, don't know when or where or how I got it, but I had it.
Cheapo 160 GPH pump from Amazon - New
Approx 20lbs no-longer-alive Sand - Old
Approx 8lb rock transferred from other (cycled) saltwater tank
Approx 25lb Florida Dry Rock - New
Misc. Filter Sponge and Filter Floss (some floss from already cycled tank)

That was it, set it all up on Feb 7th. Cycled with ammonium chloride and seeded a bacteria mix from a friend. Tested religiously. Added 2 ocellaris clowns on Feb 14th, continued testing, 25% to 50% water change when any levels got too high for comfort.
feb14.jpeg

Acquired an assortment of corals on March 6th
corals.jpeg

I thought I'd be done after getting some sexy shrimp. Silly me. Still don't have any sexy shrimp, but was gifted a pipefish on March 21st, that’s when the whole plan changed. Like being gifted a puppy you weren't expecting. I concocted the idea of making a display refugium out of another 20 gallon AIO I had knocking around in storage. So I set up a 30 gallon temporary tank to keep everyone happy, transferred all the filter media over as well to keep it alive. Modified the stand so the refugium tank would fit, modified the back compartments of both AIO tanks to suit my filtration needs, did a little plumbing, swapped out the heater for an old 250w Jager, swapped the return pump for an old Sicce Syncra 1.5 (Allegedly 370 GPH but I am getting way less than I expected even with taking the lift into account. Going to need an upgrade). Let's see... tossed in some more rocks I found in a yard, and some old sand I already had.

Made a light fixture (controlled via smart outlet) with 3 LED recessed can light retrofits with 3 kelvin settings, plus dual daylight and actinic fluorescent bulbs, and hooked up some 120v switches from amazon (I don't keep them all on at once, currently experimenting with only having the dual daylight and 2 5000K LEDS on).
wiring.jpeg
Wiring could use a little beautification.

and uhh... voila...

3setup.jpg

Stock list with all the specifics I know, for anyone interested.
Upper Tank
Fish
2x Ocellaris Clownfish (amphiprion ocellaris)
1x Royal Gramma (gramma loreto)

Clean Up Crew (I know it's a bit much, wasn't my original intention but circumstances in my 125 gallon FOWLR tank led to this)
5ish Banded Trochus Snail
5ish Hermit Crabs
5ish Nassarius Snails
1 Bumble Bee Snail

Corals
Orange Bounce Mushroom (That isn't bouncing yet)
Favia sp.
Green Toadstool Leather (sarcophyton spp.)
Button Scolymia
Kenya Tree (sapnella sp.)
Duncanopsammia sp.
Kryptonite Candy Cane (caulustrea furcata)
Misc. palythoa and zoanthid

Lower Tank
1x Banded Pipefish (dunckerocampus dactyliophorus) (eats copepods, frozen mysis, and live brine shrimp I'm hatching. Mostly copepods though, and the supply doesn't seem to be running out.)
1x Peppermint Shrimp (lysmata wurdemanni)
5ish Nassarius Snail
2ish Hermit Crabs
1 Turbo Snail (I think)
Please see my macroalgae post for the specifics on those species.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank.. I love your sense of humor.. this post had me laughing many times...

One critique... and this is nit picking... but something that bugs me (yes, I OCD over stupid s***).. The second part of the Latin scientific name, is never capitalized. IE: (Caulustrea Furcata)

OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank.. I love your sense of humor.. this post had me laughing many times...

One critique... and this is nit picking... but something that bugs me (yes, I OCD over stupid s***).. The second part of the Latin scientific name, is never capitalized. IE: (Caulustrea Furcata)
Good to know! Thank you

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if that came across as calling you out for that publicly. I did not intend to point a finger at you specifically. I see this everywhere!! Even on professional websites that should know better.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also laughed, “Then the plot thickened”. Welcome to the society of addicted reefers.

your diy skills are impressive. Where is San Pedro?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late evening, natural sunlight only thru two 2’ by 4’ windows facing NW & NE.

Attachments

• 19739FBE-2E92-492D-A594-DB8325FAF15C.jpeg
    19739FBE-2E92-492D-A594-DB8325FAF15C.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 70
  • A573B390-C885-4D1B-B586-A114DC7BD89A.jpeg
    A573B390-C885-4D1B-B586-A114DC7BD89A.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 59
  • F9E510E3-BF1A-434F-9CA7-EA6B3E07163E.jpeg
    F9E510E3-BF1A-434F-9CA7-EA6B3E07163E.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late evening, natural sunlight only thru two 2’ by 4’ windows facing NW & NE.
I am also now experimenting some natural light setups but only with chaeto and little bits of c. prolifera. Have you found that it easily outcompetes nuisance algae I.E. hair algae? As I've read that hair algae loves natural light and will go crazy with it. In fact I merely set up a 10 gallon outside, direct sun, and cover it in two moving blankets overnight, read an article about wild chaeto living from 65°F-105°F. Tank water got up to 95°F when it was about 82°F outside and stayed 75°F overnight.

Two questions about the second photo: how long have you had the gorgonian in that setup? Does it seem to be doing well? And in the upper right is that a coral or a light gracilaria?

OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say that I had to put down the pipefish yesterday (clove oil method), it had developed snout rot, which I unfortunately didn't catch until it was too late. Saw discoloration before bed and it's lower jaw was already deteriorating the next day. After some extensive reading it seems to be fairly common and without direct cause, not necessarily something I did wrong, so that puts my heart at ease a little. If anyone does have any insight I'd love to learn more. At this point I'm not sure I'll continue with pipefish unless I can be more certain of success.

R.I.P. Picki Longbody

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gorgonion was suffering in a differrent tank and I moved it to this location less than 3 days ago. At this time I have no Gracilari. I have some coral on newly introduced live rock. I will take some close up pictures when lights come on in the morning. I am not very familiar with some of the Gulf of Mexico corals on this diver collected live rock. There is a lot of variety of macro on this Gulf live rock as I now see Bortacladia, Halymeni, Pandina, Wine Glass and some Sargassum.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have several Brain Corals that are on live rock. I prefer Bryozoan, Sponges and bi-vale’s along with so much ornamental macro.

picture one shows a small brain the size of thumbnail just below clownfish. Also growing on this rock are orange sponges and a feathery green macro that attractive but may be invasive but for small Blue Leg Hermits employed as curator janitors.

Picture 2 shows a larger brain with wine glass macro on top and on bottom some emerging Dragon’s Breath and Bortacladi, red grapes.

Picture 3 shows the largest brain nest to emerging Bortacladia, then a large bibalve to the right that squirts back at me when I use Turkey basted to clean off undesirable stuff.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny feathery algae seems to be bryopsis pennata. Definitely don’t let it take over. Did you get the rock from Gulf Live Rock by chance? I ordered 20lbs from them about two weeks ago and haven’t heard a peep about when it will be shipping or any correspondence beyond the initial order confirmation. Fingers crossed to get some halimeda macro on it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny feathery algae seems to be bryopsis pennata. Definitely don’t let it take over. Did you get the rock from Gulf Live Rock by chance? I ordered 20lbs from them about two weeks ago and haven’t heard a peep about when it will be shipping or any correspondence beyond the initial order confirmation. Fingers crossed to get some halimeda macro on it.

I can give you Dan’s cell phone in a PM.

Weather was a major issue for collecting these last few months. I had a 125lb order waiting for a month. He dove on Easter Monday.

I think blue leg hermits are eating the feather green stuff. If not, H202 on a toothbrush is very effective.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from gulf live on Friday. He sent the shipping info to me today, (standard shipping). Also called me back within 5 minutes of me calling to ask some questions and was very helpful.

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if that came across as calling you out for that publicly. I did not intend to point a finger at you specifically. I see this everywhere!! Even on professional websites that should know be
After posting about my refugium over in the macroalgae forum I decided why not post up my whole build progression while I'm at it.
First off, I suppose this would be considered a budget build by most standards, and/or DIY, nearly everything was repurposed from old builds during my last foray in the hobby (I intend for this foray to be much longer). Initial equipment as follows, give or take a thingy or a whatzit.

AquaEuro USA 20 Gallon AIO - from... maybe the mid 2000's? Got it for $20 at a garage sale 6 or 7 years ago.
Current USA Orbit Marine LED 18"-24" - Old, got it back when it cost over $200 :rolleyes:
Tetra 75 Watt Preset Heater - Old
Beckett 290 GPH Fountain Pump - Old
Boyu(?) WG-308 120 LPH Protein Skimmer - Old, don't know when or where or how I got it, but I had it.
Cheapo 160 GPH pump from Amazon - New
Approx 20lbs no-longer-alive Sand - Old
Approx 8lb rock transferred from other (cycled) saltwater tank
Approx 25lb Florida Dry Rock - New
Misc. Filter Sponge and Filter Floss (some floss from already cycled tank)

That was it, set it all up on Feb 7th. Cycled with ammonium chloride and seeded a bacteria mix from a friend. Tested religiously. Added 2 ocellaris clowns on Feb 14th, continued testing, 25% to 50% water change when any levels got too high for comfort.
feb14.jpeg

Acquired an assortment of corals on March 6th
corals.jpeg

I thought I'd be done after getting some sexy shrimp. Silly me. Still don't have any sexy shrimp, but was gifted a pipefish on March 21st, that’s when the whole plan changed. Like being gifted a puppy you weren't expecting. I concocted the idea of making a display refugium out of another 20 gallon AIO I had knocking around in storage. So I set up a 30 gallon temporary tank to keep everyone happy, transferred all the filter media over as well to keep it alive. Modified the stand so the refugium tank would fit, modified the back compartments of both AIO tanks to suit my filtration needs, did a little plumbing, swapped out the heater for an old 250w Jager, swapped the return pump for an old Sicce Syncra 1.5 (Allegedly 370 GPH but I am getting way less than I expected even with taking the lift into account. Going to need an upgrade). Let's see... tossed in some more rocks I found in a yard, and some old sand I already had.

Made a light fixture (controlled via smart outlet) with 3 LED recessed can light retrofits with 3 kelvin settings, plus dual daylight and actinic fluorescent bulbs, and hooked up some 120v switches from amazon (I don't keep them all on at once, currently experimenting with only having the dual daylight and 2 5000K LEDS on).
wiring.jpeg
Wiring could use a little beautification.

and uhh... voila...

3setup.jpg

Stock list with all the specifics I know, for anyone interested.
Upper Tank
Fish
2x Ocellaris Clownfish (amphiprion ocellaris)
1x Royal Gramma (gramma loreto)

Clean Up Crew (I know it's a bit much, wasn't my original intention but circumstances in my 125 gallon FOWLR tank led to this)
5ish Banded Trochus Snail
5ish Hermit Crabs
5ish Nassarius Snails
1 Bumble Bee Snail

Corals
Orange Bounce Mushroom (That isn't bouncing yet)
Favia sp.
Green Toadstool Leather (sarcophyton spp.)
Button Scolymia
Kenya Tree (sapnella sp.)
Duncanopsammia sp.
Kryptonite Candy Cane (caulustrea furcata)
Misc. palythoa and zoanthid

Lower Tank
1x Banded Pipefish (dunckerocampus dactyliophorus) (eats copepods, frozen mysis, and live brine shrimp I'm hatching. Mostly copepods though, and the supply doesn't seem to be running out.)
1x Peppermint Shrimp (lysmata wurdemanni)
5ish Nassarius Snail
2ish Hermit Crabs
1 Turbo Snail (I think)
Please see my macroalgae post for the specifics on those species.

Thanks for reading!
Looks good. Love the refugium.

OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here to update! Things are sort of overflowing... with coral, not water, luckily. Friend of mine is remodeling and I’m coralsitting some stuff from his grow out. 6A7410EB-4D9B-49D5-A3CF-94C845BD5AF3.jpeg E2D0F995-D56B-4E7D-BF5F-A1796A23EE74.jpeg 27874CAD-1742-43E8-91D1-D262F3947A5F.jpeg
Have a little bit of a cyano issue downstairs due to the light spectrum but I changed them to 6000k and I think it’s under control.

All the calcareous algae has grown offshoots so I’m pretty excited about that.

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I love the dual tank display! I just got done building a similar setup. Everything looks like it’s happy, I’m hoping mine looks as good once it’s up and going!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back