First predatory tank

andrew.v.j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing fresh water tanks for about 5 years. I recently got fresh water eels. I would like to try and set up a salt water predatory tank. I do not have a big budget. Any suggestions?

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the freshwater eels the only thing in the tank? Do you know what kind of eels? What equipment do you have? The eels are most likley a type that should be converted to saltwater. If you want to setup your saltwater tank the easy way just add some salt to your tank every few days until you have a saltwater tsnk. Your eels will be fine.

You really didn't give much information. Do you want to keep your freshwater tank or convert your freshwater to saltwater?

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with not a big budget, I'd suggest staying to a smaller size tank. Also, I assume with the budget restraint that you'll want to do a fish only system and not a reef? I have a 40 breeder predator tank. I really like the size and it would be very affordable since you can buy the aquarium for $40 at Petco during their $1 per gallon sale. I also run a 20 long sump that I picked up for $20 during Petco's sale. If you want to stay fish only, then you wouldn't need expensive lighting or dosing equipment or anything like that. You'd just need good filtration - definitely a skimmer and probably a media reactor too. In terms of predators, the dwarf lionfish are a great option for smaller tanks. They're not too expensive to purchase either. They have great personalities and are a lot of fun.

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get a VERY easy to feed predator otherwise your freezer will be filling up with many different types of food as well as having to buy live.

I'm currently at Silversides, Rod's food *feeding shrimp it*, blood worms, and mysis shrimp.

I will be visiting the grocery soon as well as trying a food such as LRS.

I don't think large blood warms are long enough, but tomorrow I'm going to see if I can wrap them around mysis shrimp and see if my Fu will eat it since he won't eat the blood worms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back