First Reef Build: 220 Gallon Mixed Reef

Ian Bollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 220 gallon standard with 250 lbs of rock w/ clean up crew

Sump: 75 gallon tank, filter socks - skims monster skimmer - refugium with some live rock and chaeto

Water Movement: I have 2 Jebao wp-20s. It seems like it is overkill and the flow looked like it was making my lps unhappy, so they are dialed down all the way.

Lighting: 2 Reefbreeder 32's and added 2 retro fit t5 bulbs to try and boost coral growth

Fish: Yellow Tang, Brown Tang, Goby, Blenny, Wrasse, Fire fish, Chromis, and 2 damsels (I Know). I put them in right after the cycle and didn't know about them and can't get them out. But they haven't caused any problems at all.

Coral: I came in with no prior experience with coral. Had a friend with a 10 year old tank give me some frags to start with (didn't even know what they were but I am learning). Still have all the frags I got alive and well. I have a mix of acropora, montepora. Lots of LPS such as duncan, hammer, ect. Couple mushrooms and some other soft corals.

I don't dose regularly. I do a 50 gallon water change every 2 weeks. On the weekend between my water changes ill add a little reef complete and reef builder. I have had the coral for about 3-4 months now and have seen a little bit of growth - nothing crazy, but they look healthy.

Problems Faced: Had GHA but it went away. Now am facing this clear globby stuff (look in pictures) that is hanging off my rocks. I don't know what it is, doesn't look like algae. It comes off easily. Water changes are helping. I have a nice copepod colony in my refugium.... but just noticed a small red centipede looking thing. And happened to look in my display and see one in a rock, tried to research a bit and they don't seem good.

What do you think?

Oh and I just said screw it and ordered a HOG 3 from SM. I've experimented with DIY scrubbers before and I just don't feel like doing it again due to my sump setup.

1123151027_zpsuckfqzss.jpg

1123151026a_zpsoxrafk33.jpg
1115152034_zpservvzysa.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back