First saltwater tank

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank. My husband has had large saltwater tanks in the past (75+gal) but I'm just trying to set up a 30gal for 2 clownfish, an anemone, maybe some shrimp, and a starfish. I'm not sure if/how much coral I might get as I still need to do more research on them. I've had freshwater tanks almost my entire life, so I'm experienced with those.

I have a wave fan, titanium heater (no glass, with external temp control and attached thermometer), protein skimmer, filter that allows different media, bio-active sand (I'm used to rinsing sand before adding to tank due to my current freshwater tank), instant ocean salt, and dry rock that I'm going to set up and cycle for at least a month before stocking the tank. I also have a saltwater master test kit.

Since the tank I bought was used, I've been instructed to wash it with a mild bleach mix. I also currently have a Python siphon for my freshwater tank, but I'm considering buying a separate one for the saltwater tank.

My main goal for this tank is to breed snow storm clownfish, so any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated! I already have a breeding box/fry box due to a very pregnant panda platy.

Also, any advice on corals would be appreciated as well. My freshwater tank is planted, and whatever my dojo loach doesn't plow into is thriving, but I've never dealt with something as fragile as coral. I have a full spectrum LED light bar for the tank and reef glue. I also don't know much about plants for saltwater tanks, so suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Sounds like you’ve got a great handle on your first saltwater aquarium! Good luck!

7C85C9C0-C185-4F6E-AFE4-28A8534BA644.gif

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Sounds like you’ve got a great handle on your first saltwater aquarium! Good luck!

7C85C9C0-C185-4F6E-AFE4-28A8534BA644.gif
Thanks! I think I did come decent research, plus my local PetCo lady is actually very helpful as she has had many saltwater tanks herself. I've also talked with my husband about it, and his knowledge helps too. I'm just trying to not ask him too much, as I'm trying to have this be a surprise.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank. My husband has had large saltwater tanks in the past (75+gal) but I'm just trying to set up a 30gal for 2 clownfish, an anemone, maybe some shrimp, and a starfish. I'm not sure if/how much coral I might get as I still need to do more research on them. I've had freshwater tanks almost my entire life, so I'm experienced with those.

I have a wave fan, titanium heater (no glass, with external temp control and attached thermometer), protein skimmer, filter that allows different media, bio-active sand (I'm used to rinsing sand before adding to tank due to my current freshwater tank), instant ocean salt, and dry rock that I'm going to set up and cycle for at least a month before stocking the tank. I also have a saltwater master test kit.

Since the tank I bought was used, I've been instructed to wash it with a mild bleach mix. I also currently have a Python siphon for my freshwater tank, but I'm considering buying a separate one for the saltwater tank.

My main goal for this tank is to breed snow storm clownfish, so any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated! I already have a breeding box/fry box due to a very pregnant panda platy.

Also, any advice on corals would be appreciated as well. My freshwater tank is planted, and whatever my dojo loach doesn't plow into is thriving, but I've never dealt with something as fragile as coral. I have a full spectrum LED light bar for the tank and reef glue. I also don't know much about plants for saltwater tanks, so suggestions would be great.

Thank you!
Welcome 15aleo,
Sounds like a good start.
Hope the clowns do well for you

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

Not so sure how you are going to keep a 30 gallon box of sand, rock and salt water a secret from your hubby? Stick it in a drawer for a while till you are ready to reveal it? lol

Ok seriously now...
I'm just trying to set up a 30gal for 2 clownfish, an anemone, maybe some shrimp, and a starfish.
Your stocking idea sounds fine. It it generally advised that you wait to add an anemone until your tank is established.. At least 6 months or so.

Equipment list looks solid. Lighting is the largest concern for any reef tank. What you plan to stock for corals, will dictate what you require for light. You can turn your brain to mush researching this subject, and I am no expert by any means, so Happy researching lol

No problems there that I can see.. If you want to get a new Python dedicated for the salt tank, that would be the "safest". That is up to you

Can't help with breeding tips as I have never had clowns spawn in my tank yet.

Corals are really not all that delicate (mostly). Like anything else, do a bit of homework on the ones you like before you buy. You have a while before you are ready to add them anyway.

Best of luck with your new project... Make sure to start a build thread so we can watch your progression.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

Not so sure how you are going to keep a 30 gallon box of sand, rock and salt water a secret from your hubby? Stick it in a drawer for a while till you are ready to reveal it? lol

Ok seriously now...

Your stocking idea sounds fine. It it generally advised that you wait to add an anemone until your tank is established.. At least 6 months or so.

Equipment list looks solid. Lighting is the largest concern for any reef tank. What you plan to stock for corals, will dictate what you require for light. You can turn your brain to mush researching this subject, and I am no expert by any means, so Happy researching lol

No problems there that I can see.. If you want to get a new Python dedicated for the salt tank, that would be the "safest". That is up to you

Can't help with breeding tips as I have never had clowns spawn in my tank yet.

Corals are really not all that delicate (mostly). Like anything else, do a bit of homework on the ones you like before you buy. You have a while before you are ready to add them anyway.

Best of luck with your new project... Make sure to start a build thread so we can watch your progression.
Thank you! My office is HIPAA compliant because I work from home for our local hospital, so he’s not allowed in there unless I am babysitting him (hence how I successfully surprised him with the freshwater lol).

I’ve added a RODI and it’s in the mail too now for the anemone. I’m just hoping to make the clownfish as happy as possible.

I have 2 spare siphons and tons of cleaning tools for the Python, and the tank doesn’t have to be ready until December, so I’ll probably end up getting another Python a little later just to be safe. I don’t currently have any snails in my freshwater, so a tiny bit of salt won’t hurt that tank too much.

I’ll definitely post a new thread to show the build after I get it cleaned out and start setting it up while my husband is at work tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Thank you!
Update: looks like I can’t have corals because the chocolate chip sea star I want will eat them, so I guess it will just be a fish/rock/plant aquarium only. Looks like the chocolate chip sea star will be compatible with the snow storm clownfish, bubble tip anemone, and cleaner shrimp though. :)

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, it definitely shows you have prepared well. Good luck with your build and breeding program!!!
ZomboMeme 19012021090240.jpg
Thank you! I added a RODI system for the anemone I’ll be getting for my clownfish, so hopefully everything turns out ok.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a bonded pair of clown to start with, I wouldn’t add coral until water matures some…… if you want designer clown to host a certain thing i hear greatest success stories by introducing them to the tank after the anemone is in there and when releasing use a tube to guide them into it …. Idk just what I’ve heard. Ive never breed clowns before.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a bonded pair of clown to start with, I wouldn’t add coral until water matures some…… if you want designer clown to host a certain thing i hear greatest success stories by introducing them to the tank after the anemone is in there and when releasing use a tube to guide them into it …. Idk just what I’ve heard. Ive never breed clowns before.
Thanks for the tips! I’m planning on getting a white bubble tip anemone, so hopefully they like it. Looks like most of them are big enough for 2 clownfish. When I get my clowns I know to get 2 at once, otherwise I’ve heard they can be very territorial, and I want to avoid fights especially since I’m hoping to breed them. (And they’re expensive..) Would PVC pipe be fine to guide them towards the anemone? I’ve seen it in tons of tanks before, so I believe it should be safe.

Turns out I can’t have coral because the chocolate chip sea star I want will munch on it, at least soft corals that is. I’ve read some horror stories of one sea star destroying $500 coral setups, so it might be best to just avoid them.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pvc would work fine… a clear tube would work better you only cause you can watch it go to the anemone. If you buy 2 at the same time get one larger then the other if you want to avoid fights. I got 2 same size about 1 inch about a month ago they picked on each other until one was slightly larger 1.25 inch maybe lol they have “bonded” some swim together sleep together etc. large one picks on the small one when I go to the tank with food or if I’m viewing the tank and the small one is giving me attention. I haven’t added coral to my tank yet as it’s very young still but my clowns host a rock and a corner most nights for now.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle star fish is great alternative if you want a star fish… they also provide a purpose and clean your sand very welll, you won’t see them a ton as they will crawl around and clean the sand lol

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pvc would work fine… a clear tube would work better you only cause you can watch it go to the anemone. If you buy 2 at the same time get one larger then the other if you want to avoid fights. I got 2 same size about 1 inch about a month ago they picked on each other until one was slightly larger 1.25 inch maybe lol they have “bonded” some swim together sleep together etc. large one picks on the small one when I go to the tank with food or if I’m viewing the tank and the small one is giving me attention. I haven’t added coral to my tank yet as it’s very young still but my clowns host a rock and a corner most nights for now.
Ok, I’ll try to specify for one of them to be a little larger, but idk how much control I’ll have over what I can get. I’ll keep an eye out for clear tubing that’ll be big enough, but fall back on a PVC pipe if I can’t find any. Is 1 anemone enough, or should I have multiple anemones in the tank?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! I’m planning on getting a white bubble tip anemone, so hopefully they like it. Looks like most of them are big enough for 2 clownfish. When I get my clowns I know to get 2 at once, otherwise I’ve heard they can be very territorial, and I want to avoid fights especially since I’m hoping to breed them. (And they’re expensive..) Would PVC pipe be fine to guide them towards the anemone? I’ve seen it in tons of tanks before, so I believe it should be safe.

Turns out I can’t have coral because the chocolate chip sea star I want will munch on it, at least soft corals that is. I’ve read some horror stories of one sea star destroying $500 coral setups, so it might be best to just avoid them.
I don’t think there is such a thing as a white bubble tip anemone, they’re generally either green or some variation of red. Also, why are you set on the chocolate chip starfish? 99% of the time they slowly starve to death in home aquariums, and especially in smaller tanks. Starfish in general don’t do well. As someone else mentioned a brittle or serpent star would be a good alternative (plus you’d be able to keep corals). Also, if a chocolate chip star will eat corals, they’ll eat anemones, they’re not that different (singular animal vs colony). I would also caution you that most LED strip lights are not adequate for anemones (and if they are you need your rocks to reach the top 2/3s of your tank). Hard to say for sure without knowing the exact model you have, but in general LED strip lights are underpowered.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there is such a thing as a white bubble tip anemone, they’re generally either green or some variation of red. Also, why are you set on the chocolate chip starfish? 99% of the time they slowly starve to death in home aquariums, and especially in smaller tanks. Starfish in general don’t do well. As someone else mentioned a brittle or serpent star would be a good alternative (plus you’d be able to keep corals). Also, if a chocolate chip star will eat corals, they’ll eat anemones, they’re not that different (singular animal vs colony). I would also caution you that most LED strip lights are not adequate for anemones (and if they are you need your rocks to reach the top 2/3s of your tank). Hard to say for sure without knowing the exact model you have, but in general LED strip lights are underpowered.
0E74D914-4A2A-42BC-AA69-820DE5F70E56.jpeg

I thought this was a white bubble tip anemone? If it’s a different kind of anemone please let me know.
As for the chocolate chip sea star, I just think they’re really cool looking and am trying to go for a black and white tank. They eat mostly squid, shrimp, and clams which I already stock in my kitchen anyway. Looks like the suggested way to feed them is cut up the food in small pieces and gently bury in the sand for them to find and eat. I haven’t seen anything warning about them eating anemones. I’ll look into different types of starfish though. I’m still quite a bit away from having anything in my tank other than the sand and rocks, so I have time to research (the tank doesn’t have to be ready until December anyway). Is there a specific LED brand/model you recommended for the best results? Thank you

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back