First Tank Plumbing

CaptainKiwi

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2024
Messages
108
Reaction score
76
Location
Uk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I hope you're all doing well today! I have decided to take the plunge and build my own reef tank and everything seems ok, but I can't find any clear information in regards to the plumbing system that I want to use. For reference the tank I'm having custom built has dimensions 150cm x 55 cm x 50 cm LWH, this is approximately 370L or just under 100 gallons.

I will be having a weir installed and three holes drilled so I can use the Bean Animal plumbing style, the weir will be 48-49cm tall to have a weir waterline of around 45cm. From my understand about the Bean Animal style, the main drain is the lowest, then the drip drain then the emergency drain which should be just under the weir teeth. I was wondering how much lower the main drain should be and how thick the pipes should be assuming I would want potentially 10x the flow in the tank (roughly 4000L/H at max).

I was also wondering about how to deal with the return placement - I would prefer the return also go through the weir so all of the pipework is done in the Weir to give the tank the cleanest look possible. Would this be ok and how would I do this?

Any help would be appreciated :)
 
The main drain height just needs to be lower than the secondary drain. When I designed mine I wanted to be sure the water level in the weir was as high as possible . Falling water makes noise as well as salt creep. This is regulated by having the secondary (trickle) high in the weir.
https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtmlHope this helps
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new