fish for 20 gallon

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 20 gallon and im looking to add a few fish. I would like something small that schools, stays in the water column and doesnt jump. I would like to add as many as possible to the 20 gallon it has a very robust filter system so can handle a lot of fish.

I always see small freshwater tanks with like 50 fish in them. Is there anything similar for saltwater? Honestly dont care how colorful it is.

OP
OP
rock_lobster

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this tank hooked up to my 150 with a 75 gallon refugium/sump and overated skimmer so there is no upper limit on waste and feeding the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that can be crammed into a 20g and are social include; barnacle blennies, trimma and eviota gobies, parvulus cardinals(though they need a lot of feedings), clown gobies.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't too many tiny shoaling fish among the commonly kept marines, as there are among freshwater fishes - tiny tetras and itty-bitty barbs don't really have anything similar on the reef. Those cardinals TJ (Eatbreakfast) mentioned are probably about as close as it gets. Most of the gobies and blennies, although fascinating and beautiful fish, will probably spend much of their time close to the sand, rock or corals.

With that, it should also be pointed out that reef fish tend to be a bit pickier about water quality and crowding than river or pond fish, and stocking levels for marine tanks just aren't going to be the same as those for freshwater systems.

~Bruce

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As maritimer stated, fw and sw are completely different beasts when it comes to stocking levels.
But I'm sure you knew a little about that.
To be honest, your best bet are cardinals, trimmas, and maybe (maybe) a pair of one of the smaller anthias species.
A bunch of barnacles with a dotty would be cool too

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back