Fish has beginning stages of ICH. But that fish and all other fish seem fine. NEED ADVICE

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wary about using copper you could move thr fish to the QT and do hyposalinty instead.
It's less about the medicine and more about me having the confidence to do it lol. Hypo, while medicine-free, is still very demanding from a level perspective to be successful.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the ich has been there since it. It’s just now starting to show.
Here is the thread about him. With everything that happened, I am not sure if it was actually ich. But you can see pictures and maybe have a different opinion.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thread about him. With everything that happened, I am not sure if it was actually ich. But you can see pictures and maybe have a different opinion.

Looks like it had ich at one point (when covered in spots). Only a small amount probably made it into the dt, and eventually grew to be noticeable again.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it had ich at one point (when covered in spots). Only a small amount probably made it into the dt, and eventually grew to be noticeable again.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. Guess I will be moving them this weekend to the hospital tank.

in my DT do I need to do anything with my invertebrates including coral?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. Guess I will be moving them this weekend to the hospital tank.

in my DT do I need to do anything with my invertebrates including coral?
Continue to treat the dt as usual, corals and inverts still need to eat.
Otherwise everything can be left in there as ich cannot feed on them.
Right before going fallow isn’t a bad time to pick up any inverts you were interested in either as you shouldn’t add them during (risk of carrying in disease).

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I just find it hard to warrant treating fish that are not showing signs of any issues. I have a pretty expensive kole tang that is in perfect shape that I don't want to potentially lose by dosing copper incorrectly when he didn't even need it, to begin with.
Seems you've already made your decision... why post the question? Good luck to you.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you've already made your decision... why post the question? Good luck to you.
Because I respect the opinions of the people in this forum and I am petrified of doing it. Just wanted to talk it out with people that have been in similar situations. But at this point, it seems like I have no other choice.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue to treat the dt as usual, corals and inverts still need to eat.
Otherwise everything can be left in there as ich cannot feed on them.
Right before going fallow isn’t a bad time to pick up any inverts you were interested in either as you shouldn’t add them during (risk of carrying in disease).
I was thinking about getting the fish out and then purchasing a cleaner shrimp and urchin. Would that be okay? I have to take all my rocks and coral out to get the fish so I don't want to add any inverts and potentially lose them during that phase.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I have done it both ways. I had a yellow clown goby pair get ich when first setting up my 210g. Yep, try getting them out. Not gonna happen. So, I had to be careful adding fish in the future. I would qt my fish, but the dt was contaminated. This dt had fish in it for over 12 years and the Kole tang in it was one of the first residents. Maybe even before the clown gobbies. No losses from ich ever.

Now, this was many years back. I currently run a system that I qt everything including corals, rock, inverts, etc.
Both tanks have been great. So, really comes down to personal decision. Most captive bred fish will have a hard time fighting ich as they are not exposed.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I have done it both ways. I had a yellow clown goby pair get ich when first setting up my 210g. Yep, try getting them out. Not gonna happen. So, I had to be careful adding fish in the future. I would qt my fish, but the dt was contaminated. This dt had fish in it for over 12 years and the Kole tang in it was one of the first residents. Maybe even before the clown gobbies. No losses from ich ever.

Now, this was many years back. I currently run a system that I qt everything including corals, rock, inverts, etc.
Both tanks have been great. So, really comes down to personal decision. Most captive bred fish will have a hard time fighting ich as they are not exposed.
Yeah, that's why I am having such a hard time making a decision. If ich is always going to be there...will the fish be miserable even if it doesn't kill them? What if I add a fish that causes stress 4 years from now and it just kickstarts everything again and I have the same problem I do now? It just sucks I hate it. I should have QT to begin with but I am more leaning from the side to only treat fish that are actually sick.

Sam Yu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your fish will recover soon. My exp is just to rehome the coral and copper has been working.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get more inverts - just start the fallow clock once they are added.
So I am thinking:

- 14 day copper treatment in hospital tank (coppersafe) (daily 10% water changes)
- Transfer the fish only to a fresh (same salt, temp, PH as DT and hospital tank) QT tank
- after 76 combined days add them back to the DT.

That sound okay?

When I transfer the fish to the QT tank can I add anything or should I keep bare and continue daily water changes? Either works for me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having any sort of Acanthurus tang will be difficult in an ich management system. There is an entire write up on it. I would only do something like zebra or bristletooth tangs in an ich management tank.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having any sort of Acanthurus tang will be difficult in an ich management system. There is an entire write up on it. I would only do something like zebra or bristletooth tangs in an ich management tank.

Is a yellow eye kole tang an Acanthurus?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking:

- 14 day copper treatment in hospital tank (coppersafe) (daily 10% water changes)
- Transfer the fish only to a fresh (same salt, temp, PH as DT and hospital tank) QT tank
- after 76 combined days add them back to the DT.

That sound okay?

When I transfer the fish to the QT tank can I add anything or should I keep bare and continue daily water changes? Either works for me.
Sounds good!
Put some pvc pipes in there too - gives the fish somewhere to hide and is easy to clean.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started the quarantine process. The fish, so far, are doing well as I ramp up the copper daily until I get it to 1.5-20ppm.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 136 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back