Fish id

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the 9 Pomacanthus that are tough to distinguish.
20240516_202112.jpg

Page 308 on Scott Michael's Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes.
If I’m honest, these can be narrowed down through just the process of elimination;

It’s not a Xantho as the body shape is too triangular.

Not a Semicirculatus, Imperator as the banding isn’t circular enough.

Not a Chrysus as the tail isn’t yellow - I would also cancel out the Asfur for this reason however that one photoed is transitioning.

Sexstriatus is possible but the lines are too blue - this is why Annularis isn’t impossible as the banding on annularis is blue but doesn’t have much variation within the shades of blue yet the juvenile the OP has seems to have a fair amount of variation.

Which leaves 3;
Rhomboides
Asfur (unless I’m wrong in thinking juvenile asfur have clear tails as true juveniles)
Maculosus

Rhomboides has the right colouring but the wrong shape which is where it’ll be interesting to add if it grows and becomes more rectangular than triangular.

If it remains more triangular then it’s most likely Asfur or Maculosus - Plus I believe these two are much more commonly found compared to Rhomboides.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says asfur on the side of the bag and supplier said
Are you sure? How?
was just told it by the supplier and it’s looks like it. But who knows. All i know is that now i have another huge fish i need to feed ha. Also still getting the emperor so 3 large angels will be in my tank :)

Back