Fishless cycling with Microbacter7

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not what I was hoping. 48 hours later. What should be my next step?
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Either just wait a few weeks,

Or get a different bacteria that is specific for converting ammonia to nitrite.I like Bio-spira , and my favorite is Turbostart 900 but it’s pricy.

Alternatively, you could also go to LFS and buy a nice piece of live rock. Not the fake stuff they paint purple, but the stuff with macro algae and other critters. But I would do a water change before I added this because that ammonia may kill some of the little guys.

lots of choices here, but key to reefing is taking it slow usually is the best bet.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a bottle of biospira. As someone stated earlier in the thread, people make cycling too complicated. Add a bacteria with good reported results, add ammonia, cycled in less than 2 weeks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gosh what a ride Sir :) :) cycling is like holding onto a little roller coaster lol

I haven't done too well on cycle prediction this week lol need more ginseng in diet am thinking. its clear movement, took a lil longer than projected but that's clear ammonia movement.

OP
OP
plc001

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still being patient here and have not added any thing to the tank. My Ammonia its almost zero, but my Nitrites are still
pretty high. Shall I keep waiting or do a 100% water change?

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still being patient here and have not added any thing to the tank. My Ammonia its almost zero, but my Nitrites are still
pretty high. Shall I keep waiting or do a 100% water change?

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Just keep waiting. The bacteria which convert NO-2 to NO3 will come. When your nitrite zeroes out, you’re “cycled” well enough to support some fish, but there’s still a long way to go in maturing your system.

OP
OP
plc001

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
URRRG!!!!!

So I have been waiting on my Nitrites to come down. Its been 30 days since I started my cycle so was hoping that by now I would be done. Look at this!

Same testing procedure, same time, same company (Salifert) different batch:

IMG_0485.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
URRRG!!!!!

So I have been waiting on my Nitrites to come down. Its been 30 days since I started my cycle so was hoping that by now I would be done. Look at this!

Same testing procedure, same time, same company (Salifert) different batch:

IMG_0485.jpg
Looks like you are good to go!

That's really odd though, maybe take a sample to LFS to check it too. Then you know if your new batch of powder is bad or the old one.

But like others above have said, nitrite really is not much of an issue in saltwater. I always wait too though, like you are.

OP
OP
plc001

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first two inhabitants have been happy in their new cycle home. Saturday will be a week. Next Saturday I will add another one, maybe a small Bristlettooth Tang.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I don't see is an ammonia source, unless you create an ammonia source with ammonium chloride or food, there will be no cycle. I use biosprira as a bacteria source for my cycles, but each has their own preference. Read up on Dr Tim's fishless cycle, if you follow his method, you'll be cycled in about a week or so. You will need to monitor you're ammonia and nitrite, both deadly to fish.

Exactly what I was going to say.
Start with Dr Tims ammonia and sometime the same day add Biospira. I did this method on my 240 that I started cycling last week and it’s done. This is a no fail method of cycling a tank that I use every time.

FWIW- microbactr7 is NOT live bacteria like Biospira is

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plc did you ever have disease challenges, its nice to get a 1 year feedback on cycles

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back