Flame angel sick

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angel suddenly can’t swim. Keeps barely moving and has labored breathing. Might be losing some color also
91E7BF8F-E687-4AC7-BE6C-4108BA89BEAD.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angel suddenly can’t swim. Keeps barely moving and has labored breathing. Might be losing some color also
91E7BF8F-E687-4AC7-BE6C-4108BA89BEAD.jpeg

How long have you had it? Did you freshwater dip him? Did you acclimate him? How long have you had your tank set up? What's your water pramameters?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in the DT? Any aggression?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have internal parasites. How was it's poop? Stringy?

Could have been Flukes as well. If you didn't freshwater dip him when you got him.

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have internal parasites. How was it's poop? Stringy?

Could have been Flukes as well. If you didn't freshwater dip him when you got him.

Never noticed any. He was treated with copper and parize pro. Showed no signs of illness. Up to today was doing fine

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never noticed any. He was treated with copper and parize pro. Showed no signs of illness. Up to today was doing fine

Copper can be hard on dwarf angel's at full strength.

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was anything "wet" added to the DT in the last 30 days or so, other than the fish that have been through the QT?

Nope. Added some corals tonight but it was already showing signs. My tank is only 2 months old. Could that have been part of the issue. I don’t have much algae but I did watch it graze. Also it would eat but was very shy so I didn’t see it eat all the time

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Added some corals tonight but it was already showing signs. My tank is only 2 months old. Could that have been part of the issue. I don’t have much algae but I did watch it graze. Also it would eat but was very shy so I didn’t see it eat all the time
Dwarf angels will literally wear themselves out trying to feed in a new tank. They are looking for their natural foods: algae, worms, crustaceans, sponges, etc. They can starve themselves to death pecking at the bare glass and bare rock until their condition is so weakened and stressed, they don't survive.
Can you get some black worms or white worms? There's a vitamin product made especially for angelfish called Angelixir. It contains proteins and fats from sponges that can greatly help the overall health of the fish.

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some reading today I think I found the issue. I used Copper during QT and did not know that dwarf angels have issues with copper.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, copper can be hard on dwarf angels, especially Flame Angels. What kind of copper did you use and how did you measure the concentration? We've found that Coppersafe's bottle to bottle concentration varied quite a bit and has injured and or killed some fish due to overdosing. And the API test kit's have been very unreliable for testing copper levels. Most of us have switched to Copperpower. Its concentration in the bottle has been tested and is right on. And along with that, many of us are now using the Hanna HL Copper Checker. It's amazing. You can truly, accurately dose copper now using it. The bottom line is lots of folks have probably been overdosing, me included, fish due to the problems with Coppersafe and the very inaccurate API testing kits and have been losing/injuring fish without even knowing we were doing that. The good news is you could consider using Coppersafe and the Hanna Checker and really be able to slowly dose up, watching for problems with a copper sensitive fish right up to the minimum level of 1.5 ppm. I've used these with other copper sensitive fish like puffers and it worked beautifully slowly dosing up to 1.75ppm which is where I feel comfortable dosing my fish. Who knew I was severely over dosing my fish for a long time? The darn API test is VERY unreliable. So it's not your fault! Here's the good news. Check out this link on the Hanna Checker. @HotRocks has done breakthrough work. Best of luck. Hope this helps a bit.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ratios-for-dosing-copper-power.385871/#post-4684551

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, copper can be hard on dwarf angels, especially Flame Angels. What kind of copper did you use and how did you measure the concentration? We've found that Coppersafe's bottle to bottle concentration varied quite a bit and has injured and or killed some fish due to overdosing. And the API test kit's have been very unreliable for testing copper levels. Most of us have switched to Copperpower. Its concentration in the bottle has been tested and is right on. And along with that, many of us are now using the Hanna HL Copper Checker. It's amazing. You can truly, accurately dose copper now using it. The bottom line is lots of folks have probably been overdosing, me included, fish due to the problems with Coppersafe and the very inaccurate API testing kits and have been losing/injuring fish without even knowing we were doing that. The good news is you could consider using Coppersafe and the Hanna Checker and really be able to slowly dose up, watching for problems with a copper sensitive fish right up to the minimum level of 1.5 ppm. I've used these with other copper sensitive fish like puffers and it worked beautifully slowly dosing up to 1.75ppm which is where I feel comfortable dosing my fish. Who knew I was severely over dosing my fish for a long time? The darn API test is VERY unreliable. So it's not your fault! Here's the good news. Check out this link on the Hanna Checker. @HotRocks has done breakthrough work. Best of luck. Hope this helps a bit.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ratios-for-dosing-copper-power.385871/#post-4684551

Thank you for the information. I was using Cupramine with a Salifert copper test kit. I feel bad for losing the fish but glad I learned and will change my techniques next time. Thanks again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back