Flatworms?

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have been having MANY of these little things all over my shrooms... 6 weeks ago I removed most of them with a small pump... I thought I was done with them but I just realized that they are back!!

I think they are flatworms.. and there are many of them (hundreds, maybe a thousand!!!)

Is there any live stuff that would actually eat them? Are they really flatworms?

here's a picture of the ones I just took off the shrooms

fk0goj.jpg

I read about this stuff called FLATWORM EXIT but I only have a 20gallon tank and MANY worms ... So the toxins would be too strong !!

What should I do?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are really FW.

Siphon out what you can daily. Those are probably photosynthetic ( they use light to produce carbons for nutrition) to a certain degree so try a complete 3-4 day black out, continue to siphon out flatworms. You can use a flashlight directed at one spot of the aquarium and they should congregate there over the course of a couple hours.
Get a Damsel or Wrasse and acclimate them, in a couple days do not feed them, take a turkey baster and blow the FW off surfaces so the fish gets the idea, rinse and repeat.

Or

You can use Flatworm Exit and risk adverse reactions. When FW die they produce a toxin, you have to remove as many as you can prior to treatment, and there are a lot more you do not see. You have to do a significant wc post treatment and add charcoal. If enough unremoved fw die during treatment it can reek havoc with a tank.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what the above post suggests with a wrasse! They should help with your flat worm problem. I would try natural predators over nuking your tank first.

OP
OP
nickloeuf

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what the above post suggests with a wrasse! They should help with your flat worm problem. I would try natural predators over nuking your tank first.

Exactly! That's why I was looking online first... I am going to buy a blue velvet nudibranch!! They are known for eating only flatworms!

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly! That's why I was looking online first... I am going to buy a blue velvet nudibranch!! They are known for eating only flatworms!
That's exactly what I would do. They will clean em out and then probably die so if can sell it to someone before that happen

OP
OP
nickloeuf

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I would do. They will clean em out and then probably die so if can sell it to someone before that happen

YES! these creatures are so amazing. I'm talking abt the nudibranches not the FW lol !!

kz4q66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worm has the clear body so the color you see might cause by the lighting. Mine has purple color because I see it at night when my blue LED light is on.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the transparent/clear flatworms and I can tell you that these are nowhere close to them. I suspect these are not the good ones. My clear ones show up as such regardless of the color of the lighting. They simply have no color at all.

H Street Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this some type of worm too? They are suddenly all over my rocks. They act like single sweeper arms (almost single Galaxea arms constantly lengthening and shortening). Any ideas? I can post more pics if it would help in indentifying. Thanks!
E08EFB1D-0FD2-499F-878B-6CF6AE88F572.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Nope those are Hydroids.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have the red flatworms. Started a post on my experience. Followed directions of the Flatworm Exit and the toxins threw my tank into a tizzy and velvet outbreak. Lost half my fish. I did get a couple nudi’s and they were eating the flatworms. After 2 days disappeared and have not seen them since. Order more but live aquaria is out on backorder.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this some type of worm too? They are suddenly all over my rocks. They act like single sweeper arms (almost single Galaxea arms constantly lengthening and shortening). Any ideas? I can post more pics if it would help in indentifying. Thanks!
E08EFB1D-0FD2-499F-878B-6CF6AE88F572.jpeg
spaghetti worm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys,

I have been having MANY of these little things all over my shrooms... 6 weeks ago I removed most of them with a small pump... I thought I was done with them but I just realized that they are back!!

I think they are flatworms.. and there are many of them (hundreds, maybe a thousand!!!)

Is there any live stuff that would actually eat them? Are they really flatworms?

here's a picture of the ones I just took off the shrooms

fk0goj.jpg

I read about this stuff called FLATWORM EXIT but I only have a 20gallon tank and MANY worms ... So the toxins would be too strong !!

What should I do?

Oh man !! Flatwork exit is good but I've also heard of horror stories. Needless to say, the wAR is on and they must be rid of. Wrasses such as 6 line and lunare will eat these but with such infestation will be a slow process.

Back