RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done flip...

Thanks for sharing the game plan and execution as u handled the situation. Those are the type of posts that are gold. So much information shared around this place.

Thanks for taking the time. I now have a solid plan of action. And a plan b if I ever run into them myself. Cheers.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned the daylight from the windows could be playing against your efforts?

No, during blackout the tank was double wrapped, including the sump down stairs. The amount of ambient lighting from the windows is minor. Direct sunlight would be a no go.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done flip...

Thanks for sharing the game plan and execution as u handled the situation. Those are the type of posts that are gold. So much information shared around this place.

Thanks for taking the time. I now have a solid plan of action. And a plan b if I ever run into them myself. Cheers.

Thanks, trying everything holistic I can without resorting to a chemical approach.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as expected the black out didn't completely eradicate them. With the lights on as low as they can go, it's still on the sand. Not nearly as bad, as expected. I'm still waiting for algae barn to send my phytoplankton and pods to me. Hopefully it they will be here early this coming week.

So at lights out using my phone's light in front of the tank looking from the side, you can see them suspended in the water column everywhere like snow.

So with that said, I bought a small utility pump from Petco and replumbed the UV on the DT, not on the sump. I just don't think they can easily go down the drains to the sump and tend to stay in the DT.

Now armed with the UV on the DT with them being the type that releases from the sand bed, I might have a fighting chance to really drive their numbers down now. We will see!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after one night with the UV on the DT there is a considerable reduction in dinoflagellates on the sand bed. Almost all white! Well see as the day progresses.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working in the front landscape with the wife. Soil here is from hell. Clay with little rocks. The Holly bushes we took out were huge and needed to go.

IMG_20200503_155545746.jpg

IMG_20200503_155618662.jpg

Got set the landscape lights set after we are done planting and mulch again.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I finally made a decision to make the refugium area in the sump a frag holding area.

Chaetomorpa has not been growing and I'm ready to move on. It's coming out and in its place I'm going to make a frag rack out of egg crate.

Ordered the following to make this happen:

100 ceramic frag plugs.

Three 20 oz tubes of super glue gel.

1 165w Viparsectra led fixture (why not another Mars Aqua? The Viparsectra's spectrum is closer out of the box to my modded Mars and it's a little cheaper!)

Once I have all the stuff, "Operation Flipper Frag" will commence! Lol

robinhood639

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading 1717 posts, all I have to say is WOW! :) Well done! I do have one question though... Dosing bacteria and then using a UV sterilizer at the same time... Seems counter productive. Am I missing something?

Thanks for documenting your nearly 3 year journey so well!

Looking forward to getting back home and modding my CBBs!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay pods and phyto!! Oh no on the chaeto...you had a massive section full of it! But also yay for the frag section, that’s always fun! I’m running two of the vipar lights on my 90g and I like them so far. I think you will like them. :) what kinda frags you plan on growing down there? Also, how is your tomini doing? I’ve seen a few on DD but they don’t have the vibrant colors like yours. Maybe DD has a different kind than you.
Edit: I see the tang in the monti pic, doing just fine and very brightly colored!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading 1717 posts, all I have to say is WOW! :) Well done! I do have one question though... Dosing bacteria and then using a UV sterilizer at the same time... Seems counter productive. Am I missing something?

Thanks for documenting your nearly 3 year journey so well!

Looking forward to getting back home and modding my CBBs!

Thank you. It's been a journey with this system. Lots of fun and enjoyment! Glad you followed along!

Dosing bacteria..... It will adhere to most surfaces, rock, sand....etc. little stays suspended in the water column. All good.

Yay pods and phyto!! Oh no on the chaeto...you had a massive section full of it! But also yay for the frag section, that’s always fun! I’m running two of the vipar lights on my 90g and I like them so far. I think you will like them. :) what kinda frags you plan on growing down there? Also, how is your tomini doing? I’ve seen a few on DD but they don’t have the vibrant colors like yours. Maybe DD has a different kind than you.
Edit: I see the tang in the monti pic, doing just fine and very brightly colored!

The tank has grown out a great deal since you saw it in person.

Sometimes chaetomorpa will just decline for no reason.

So the idea is to frag a great deal out of the display and mount them on the plugs. Keep them down there to sell or give away. Lol I just can't throw away coral. That's just not me.

Tiki the tomini is very happy and fat. She's been a awesome tang and I'm very fond of her.

Back