Rating - 100%
13   0   0

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info on led black box. I have a mars aqua I run on my nano. Been running 9 hours at 80% blue 10% white for just over 2 years.
Good reason to get a par meter since I dont have one.
They do grow acro's and others well. Running T5's on the new 120. Not sure what I will use on the new 45 frag tank. Have t5, led, and 3 mh.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real water mixing per say since I do not do water changes any more. 25 gal nano has been very stable since I stopped about 11 months ago now. 120 is only 2 months old and no plan on doing any water changes on it.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, killed 6, yes 6 aptasia nems! And 4 majano anemones! Smoked them with good old kalk paste with pumps off for 45 mins. ;Dead

You know what they say, if you see one, there more somewhere. True.
Established systems, if they get in there, will always have one or two lurking in the shadows. Fortunately for me, I'm always hunting and looking close, very close to kill them. Everyday!

You don't always have to be "hands" in the tank, but you should always look at your tank closely each day.

Now, sand! I feel like adding some sand! Sand ho! :)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love your tank. I've been following your Mars Aqua escapades. I'm still in the process of setting up my first tank and after kicking around the idea of custom DIY LED fixtures decided to take a chance on either MA boxes or go SB Reef and add some 395's, maybe replace the 3500k with 6500k.

I understand you're running 3 MA boxes, given the change would you prefer a single fixture that spans the tank or would multiple smaller fixtures provide better coverage?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank. I've been following your Mars Aqua escapades. I'm still in the process of setting up my first tank and after kicking around the idea of custom DIY LED fixtures decided to take a chance on either MA boxes or go SB Reef and add some 395's, maybe replace the 3500k with 6500k.

I understand you're running 3 MA boxes, given the change would you prefer a single fixture that spans the tank or would multiple smaller fixtures provide better coverage?

At 72" long, I would love a led fixture that would cover the whole tank.

I do believe at some point there will be a fixture, possibly a diode screen, like a TV, that will cover a tank completely.

I think the three fixtures fit very well for my tank. I did pull all my lenses, except for six lenses over 13000k and 20000k on each fixture. They cover very well!

Thank you!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe at some point there will be a fixture, possibly a diode screen, like a TV, that will cover a tank completely.

Don,
When the Philip's Coral Care came out. I showed it to Angelia.

Well,
It was a no go, reminded her of the ole mh domes that we used to push.

She said:
When they get that thing down to the thickness of a flat screen, we'll talk.

Never made it to the States anyways... ;Joyful

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don,
When the Philip's Coral Care came out. I showed it to Angelia.

Well,
It was a no go, reminded her of the ole mh domes that we used to push.

She said:
When they get that thing down to the thickness of a flat screen, we'll talk.

Never made it to the States anyways... ;Joyful

I remember that. They took a off the shelf light fixture and made a reef light from it. Very bulky looking. It had potential and a great spectrum mix, along with a awesome light diffusing spread. Hopefully at some point they could find a way of getting the overpaid executives to allow them to make a real reef light!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Definitely didn't learn what I know overnight. Years and years.....still learning to this day!

I will say that Reef2reef is a very special place for all of us to learn and grow. The best community of reefers on the planet! I learn from them everyday!
#r2r4life

Oh my... beautiful.

Happy to hear the shimmer is dialed back in for you. That bali slimer looks healthy as an ox!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, killed 6, yes 6 aptasia nems! And 4 majano anemones! Smoked them with good old kalk paste with pumps off for 45 mins. ;Dead

You know what they say, if you see one, there more somewhere. True.
Established systems, if they get in there, will always have one or two lurking in the shadows. Fortunately for me, I'm always hunting and looking close, very close to kill them. Everyday!

You don't always have to be "hands" in the tank, but you should always look at your tank closely each day.

Now, sand! I feel like adding some sand! Sand ho! :)
Someone was feeling a little aggressive this weekend!!!

I let my peppermint shrimp handle the pests for me. They do a great job in the DT now but I can't get them out of the overflow so I know my tank will never been clean of them.

Any wisdom to share on how you rinse your sand? I tried and did a less then stellar job.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone was feeling a little aggressive this weekend!!!

I let my peppermint shrimp handle the pests for me. They do a great job in the DT now but I can't get them out of the overflow so I know my tank will never been clean of them.

Any wisdom to share on how you rinse your sand? I tried and did a less then stellar job.

Peppermints and me don't get along! They always attack my LPS for some darn reason. So, no peppermints for me!

Sand, well for larger amounts a bucket and some pantyhose. Stretch the pantyhose over the bucket. Dump some sand on the pantyhose and rinse till the water is clean.

Small amounts, use a large fish net. Same thing.

Let it drip out as much water as you can.

With a tank running, use a 1" or 1 1/2" pvc pipe long enough to reach the bottom of your tank. Using a funnel at the top of the pvc, dump small amounts down the tube. There will be some cloudiness from it, but it should clear quickly.

Back