Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear the wife is doing well and home. It feels much better when everyone’s under the same roof.
Why are you thinking on adding flow? Is coral growth affecting how well circulation in back is keeping it clean? Tank looks great and I’ve hurt myself with great ideas of improving x not because I needed to but because I though I could.....;Sorry

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear the wife is doing well and home. It feels much better when everyone’s under the same roof.
Why are you thinking on adding flow? Is coral growth affecting how well circulation in back is keeping it clean? Tank looks great and I’ve hurt myself with great ideas of improving x not because I needed to but because I though I could.....;Sorry

Thanks!

I think it could be better on the back side flow wise. With all the coral growth over the years and more growth coming, I think I need it.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I think it could be better on the back side flow wise. With all the coral growth over the years and more growth coming, I think I need it.
Perhaps a gyre mounted vertically shooting down the back would give a flatter wider flow pattern with less chance of disturbing corals?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a gyre mounted vertically shooting down the back would give a flatter wider flow pattern with less chance of disturbing corals?

Well I want more chaotic flow in the tank, so thinking one wave maker on each side on the back glass on timers. One runs say a half hour and then off, then the other on the same.

Both jeabos are now on alternating current mode via a JB wave maker controller. I'd love to find another one of those controllers as they have been discontinued. I can program it via Bluetooth.

U

User1

View Badges
Well I want more chaotic flow in the tank, so thinking one wave maker on each side on the back glass on timers. One runs say a half hour and then off, then the other on the same.

Both jeabos are now on alternating current mode via a JB wave maker controller. I'd love to find another one of those controllers as they have been discontinued. I can program it via Bluetooth.

Hi - hope your family is doing well. Regarding the RW's. Not sure if you have a controller but if not you could always pick up a used Reef Angel, but the wire harness, and pick up another pair of 4's or 8's and use their custom flow patterns. I used a pair of 4's and later 8's on my 40 breeder and have to say they worked amazingly well. Only draw back I had was the fall off as they get dirty. In my tank that was about once a month :)

In any case reef crest, tidal, lagoon, nutrient transport, etc. Really great control and made a big difference in my tank. Had a standing wave :)

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - hope your family is doing well. Regarding the RW's. Not sure if you have a controller but if not you could always pick up a used Reef Angel, but the wire harness, and pick up another pair of 4's or 8's and use their custom flow patterns. I used a pair of 4's and later 8's on my 40 breeder and have to say they worked amazingly well. Only draw back I had was the fall off as they get dirty. In my tank that was about once a month :)

In any case reef crest, tidal, lagoon, nutrient transport, etc. Really great control and made a big difference in my tank. Had a standing wave :)

Thank you.

I've seen the Reef Angel controller. It was on my short list for a replacement controller for the jeabos. The JB does all of those patterns and you can create customer ones as well. Huge amount of control if one wants to do that. Only thing is that you can only control two powerheads with it. Wish it could have controlled four.

I've had it now for around four years and it's never had any problems.

I'm thinking 4's because the 8 on its lowest setting might be too much flow back there.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power washing the sand today since the wife is home now. She's doing very good!

IMG_20200709_194645512.jpg

IMG_20200709_194655010.jpg

Can't beat a old micron filter in a nineties magnum 350! Lol

Works very well!
Glad to hear wife is doing well.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking, which can be dangerous (lol) but I'm contemplating doing a different frag system.

What I'm thinking isn't going to change much of my current system other than using the 56 column tank I have and plumbing it into my sump. It's size will give me more space for frags and be able to use the frag light I have without needing another.

The 56 has a DIY coast to coast overflow box and two 1" drains. It was my reef tank while we were in a apartment while our house was being built back in 2012.

Flow into it would come from the excess flow from the current sump and drain from one side of the C2C on the 56, while the other would be capped. This would drain back into the sump.

So, upside:

More room for frags.
Utilizing a tank I have.
Utilizing the light I have.
Puting the excess flow from the return pump to good use to feed the frag tank.
Very little work in plumbing this.
Adding 56 gallons to the total water volume, 180+56=236 total gallons.

IMG_20200712_151731767.jpg

IMG_20200712_151740535.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to think dangerous consider doing it as a separate system! Plumbing it in though is little risk, moderate reward. I prefer to have my frag system separate for a variety of reasons but if that's not something you are wiling to do and just want more space go for it!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to think dangerous consider doing it as a separate system! Plumbing it in though is little risk, moderate reward. I prefer to have my frag system separate for a variety of reasons but if that's not something you are wiling to do and just want more space go for it!

Qt frag tank will be next. Just need more space.

Sounds like a solid plan! You will probably have tons of baby roads so the space will be nice! Plus, who doesn’t love extra tanks?!

Is your wife feeling better after surgery?

Yes is, thank you.

U

User1

View Badges
Thinking one of my 20 gallon longs would be perfect as a frag QT.

I've thought about this a few times but I'll be honest I have nothing to frag at the moment. Be that has it may I've been thinking on what I would do as it relates to a frag grow out tank or holding. I'm not going to say QT because, well, never mind. Anyway to m y point and train of thought on yours - the 20 gallon. As a dedicated QT in your case can you go larger?

The reason why I'm asking is because part of the QT process is to mitigate the risk of pests. Pest being algae and flat worm type things. Algae I think you have some options even for a 20. However, some of the best worm eaters are six lines and coris type wrasses and so the 20 gallon isn't going to be ideal.

Just want was going through my mind when I read this :D If I was to set one up I'd size it such that I can fit in a good algae eater and a couple wrasses.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon long will be a great size for coral qt. Not too big and not too small. You're not going to want worm eaters or algae eaters - if you really do you should use Molly's since they will double as canaries. Fishless is the way to go for QT. I actually prefer my frag tank to be fishless. I've got one in there now but eventually he will go. If I get flatworms in my frag tank big deal. I dose flatworm exit. Also algae on a frag or even a colony is a lot easier to remove then inside a display tank. Scrape it off and be done with it.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon long will be a great size for coral qt. Not too big and not too small. You're not going to want worm eaters or algae eaters - if you really do you should use Molly's since they will double as canaries. Fishless is the way to go for QT. I actually prefer my frag tank to be fishless. I've got one in there now but eventually he will go. If I get flatworms in my frag tank big deal. I dose flatworm exit. Also algae on a frag or even a colony is a lot easier to remove then inside a display tank. Scrape it off and be done with it.

20 is easily setup for a frag system.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 33g long is a space saving frag tank from heaven. 12x12x48. 1 led strip set low to the surface with a glass cover and ur golden.

If i didnt need to use it for my sump it would have been a frag tank.

Good luck with the 56 sir! Sounds like a simple bait and switch for a guy with your macguyver prowess. ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back