OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way or already have a program that simulates a long pulse that alternates between A and B?

On my 40 breeder I was controlling my Jebao RW4's with my Reef Angel and it was pretty simple to select various patters like reef crest, tidal swell, etc. I found that my hammers really responded to an alternating long pulse at 30 second samples. I'm going to see if that is something I can replicate manually with the controller.

Edit: There is a default pulse built in it appears although seems a bit interesting to set up...

You can specify the duration of the pulse, I am not sure how long the duration can be.

U

User1

View Badges
You can specify the duration of the pulse, I am not sure how long the duration can be.

Thanks. I went back to watch your video in case I missed something. Then found it. Trying it out now - not sure if I like it.

Is there a base speed setting that I'm missing? It seems to be pushing a lot more water than what I would expect at 30%. I'm starting to think there is a base speed then the + and - settings for max / min flow are adjusted. I have a rose bubble tip that is running all over the tank now because it doesn't like the flow at the moment.

U

User1

View Badges
1 more follow up question - maybe you answered it already. Why did you leave every other time slot blank? 0:00 is pulse, 0100 is blank on both pumps for example. In the advanced controller settings can you leave it blank?

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 more follow up question - maybe you answered it already. Why did you leave every other time slot blank? 0:00 is pulse, 0100 is blank on both pumps for example. In the advanced controller settings can you leave it blank?

The pumps will run that schedule for that time frame, if that makes sense? Instead of changing it every hour.

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping in an old thread @pelphrey , but any thoughts on how long the pulse period should be for 6' tank? I have it set to the .6 you have in the OP, but wondering I should make it .8 or more.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping in an old thread @pelphrey , but any thoughts on how long the pulse period should be for 6' tank? I have it set to the .6 you have in the OP, but wondering I should make it .8 or more.

My tank is only 3' long so I would try to increase the pulse!

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks. Do you think .08 would be sufficient or should I aim for even higher numbers?

One thing you can look at is the top of the tank and the wave pattern. At least that is what I do. My tank is 54" wide and 30" tall and if I use a pulse with lower values the crest of the wave is closer together. If I increase the delay value I can see the top of the crest be further apart or smooth if that makes sense.

I can't speak for @pelphrey but if I recall from using his schedule is that it varies and it could be one reason why. Best thing I could suggest is to try and then look at what it is doing at the surface. If that looks ok then see how the lower half of the tank looks. Keep in mind, and this is the most frustrating part for me, or any new tank, is maturity. How much rock you have, and coral, with relation to the size of the tank x number of gyres :) New tank, few corals, you have a setting that works. Great. Corals grow. You add more corals. Tank is maturing. Guess what, that flow now has to be recalibrated because things are blocking now that change the pattern(s).

I think @pelphrey raised this in the video which I thought to be pretty dang important and often overlooked. It is why I took out one of my XF250's. Too much flow for a maturing tank only recently setup.

Kay1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but I'm trying to do this with my new gyres. When the chart says pulse, is that pulsing mode of gradual pulse?

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big shout out to @CJs Aquariums for spending the time to come up with the settings for the standing wave using the gyre pumps. CJ and I are both running 230's on our tanks, his is a 120 gallon 4x2x2 and I have the Reefer 250 36x20x21. Our schedule's are a little different and I obviously use less power with the smaller tank. Like many users we watch the @Bulk Reef Supply videos from start to finish and really enjoy the content and effort put into providing details! BRS went with modules to control their gyre pumps which is a viable option. Some of us prefer to use the tools given to us that can achieve the same goal! This is where CJ spent an hour or two coming up with the programming needed to mimic what BRS did in the video below!

I've attached a screen shot on how my gyre's are programmed. I spent the better part of an hour messing with my flow, it was easy for me to forget what setting I used on the last program. So I put it on paper for ease of programming and to share with the community.

Flow has always been very hard for me, what is to much and what is not enough? We are always taking others idea's and customizing them for our own setup. I certainly won't take credit for the work CJ did - my goal is to communicate this to community. There are always threads on flow in general and what settings are best. For me this was a game changer, my tank finally mimics what I've seen with my own eyes in the ocean. The movement in the tank looks more natural now and more importantly effective.

Start video at 15:15

CJ did a great job documenting how to program your gyre controller in advanced mode -

gyrewave.png

The blank slots, are those 2 hour time frames of the setting or are pumps off?

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blank slots are 2 hr time slot...

I use this chart and love it
Why not use one hour time slots? Is there a benefit in two hour over 1 hour. On brs update he said if he had more slots available he would have went with that. He’s using 45 minute slots, why wouldn’t the recommendation be 1 hour slots for the gyre through the controller or app?

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, when I ran the gyre pumps it was just “easier” to program it like that in a 24 hour period. You can adjust it to what you like!

Salt_Creep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the work and write up on this technique. I just started running this schedule on my 48" 90gal with 2x 250fx. I really like the flow I am getting, but I am having one issue. My overflow is offset so its across the back right side of the tank. When the "wave" goes across the tank, it pours into the overflow and is quite loud. Any good ideas to prevent that sound from happening?

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the work and write up on this technique. I just started running this schedule on my 48" 90gal with 2x 250fx. I really like the flow I am getting, but I am having one issue. My overflow is offset so its across the back right side of the tank. When the "wave" goes across the tank, it pours into the overflow and is quite loud. Any good ideas to prevent that sound from happening?
Can you move the pump lower into the tank?

Salt_Creep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are about 4 inches deep and one sides is about an inch above a rock. One thing I never really hear about when setting up these gyres is the direction of the pump guards. They can be turned so that they blow more downward or upward. Should I assume that they should both be blowing directly straight ahead? If I point them downward more than they are I blow a big hole in the sand bed. I'm at a spot where the flow is nice and strong but I'm not moving sand.

I can play around with location, direction, and speed. I guess I was hoping for any ideas with the overflow to stop the sound without having to reduce my overflow flow rate. Might not be possible.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

just tried this on my 6’ 180 gallon with 2 xf250’s. Freshly cleaned. I set the max powers to 70% to account for the extra length

within 6 seconds I had a 2.5” wave crash over my rim, lol. Soaked floor, soaked in built cabinet

I took 20% of all the values and have a nice 1.5” standing wave with a 6 second periodicity

I’ll update if I see any adverse effects

thanks @pelphrey

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back