Flow vs Food

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a sweet video that Marvin has posted on his 110 wrasse and anthias tank and it got me to thinking...if you have high flow in your tank, do you feed more? I think this would make sense because the fish expell more energy to swim, but do you actually feed more because of this?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100X flow in my tank, and I feed at least 2-3 times a day with a variety of mysis, cyclopeeze and new life spectrum pellets. Depending on what I feed, I will put the vortechs on feed mode. Fish are all fat and healthy and sps grows well.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100X flow in my tank, and I feed at least 2-3 times a day with a variety of mysis, cyclopeeze and new life spectrum pellets. Depending on what I feed, I will put the vortechs on feed mode. Fish are all fat and healthy and sps grows well.

1+ on feed mode for the vortechs...slows down the flow and allows fish to get the big pieces while still circulating. Flow turns back on and the smaller pieces find there way to the corals too!!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking he meant something different. If the flow is high in teh tank, the fish are going to be trying that much harder to get around, burning more calories etc, so should you feed your fish more often if you hav extremely high flow in your tank.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking he meant something different. If the flow is high in teh tank, the fish are going to be trying that much harder to get around, burning more calories etc, so should you feed your fish more often if you hav extremely high flow in your tank.

I see...thats what i get for reading and working LOL. Honestly i think our fish expell more energy out in the wild and probably have a tougher time working for their food. In most cases we probably over feed if anything. We save them the effort of finding food. That probably holds true for any captive wildlife. If anything the flow keeps them from getting too fat and being lazy LOL

OP
OP
butts182

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, this is what I meant...but since we side tracked it a little, I'll give you my 2 cents...I purposefully never use the feed mode on my tank for the following reasons:
1 - the flow doesn't stop for the fish in the ocean, so why stop it in your tank...i feel that the flow makes it more "fun" for the fish...maybe that's just more fun for me to watch :bigsmile:
2 - my pump is positioned near the overflow and keeps food from flowing into it

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is what I meant...but since we side tracked it a little, I'll give you my 2 cents...I purposefully never use the feed mode on my tank for the following reasons:
1 - the flow doesn't stop for the fish in the ocean, so why stop it in your tank...i feel that the flow makes it more "fun" for the fish...maybe that's just more fun for me to watch :bigsmile:
2 - my pump is positioned near the overflow and keeps food from flowing into it

Yeah but that's the cool thing of feed mode. It doesn't completely stop just tones it down (adjustable percentage) for a certain period of time (adjustable for your perference) for fish and corals to eat.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a relatively small bioload and only feed once a day without touching the flow rate
it's an interesting concept though as to whether or not flow rate effects metabolic rate of fish in our aquariums - intuitively one would think it does, but in the end i think as long as what your doing works to keep your fish happy and healthy it is just another one of those unmeasurable variables in our systems

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like to feed often but small amounts each time, also let me put a varrity in the tank. as for the flow i leave it the way it is 24/7, i do how ever turn off my skimmer when feeding certain things that would make my skimmer go crazy

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back