H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! So what shud i feed?

Green or split peas, spinach, kale, and nori (which also contains iodine).

I would also check the label of whatever pellet or frozen food you are feeding for fiber content.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green or split peas, spinach, kale, and nori (which also contains iodine).

I would also check the label of whatever pellet or frozen food you are feeding for fiber content.
Feeding hikari marine S, thera A, nls algaemax, frozen mysis, frozen lobster eggs, cyclops, phyto and roti.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to post a word on caution regarding the use of Praziquantel. My fish in QT have been dosed twice with a very conservative dose of 2 mg/l 6 days apart. After the first dose nearly all fish lost appetite, which didnt concern me very much, since its very well known this can happen.

After the second dose my large Naso elegans showed pronounced bloating/swelling in the body region. He also didnt eat. Now, 4 days after the dose the condition seems to have improved a lot, but the fish is still not eating. But im positive he will be back to normal soon.

After searching the web for a bit several people described the same problem, especially in connection with Nasos:

For example:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/prazipro-bloating.80220/

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/for...algae-discussion/40077-prazipro-bloating.html

and others.

This is too much for coincidence. I feel that Nasos are very sensitive for praziquantel, and the symptoms are allergy-like. Maybe it should be considered to avoid prazi as a prophylactic fluke treatment in Nasos.

Best,
Christoph

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to prophylacticly treat my fowlr display tank with prazipro. I have read that others do this without issue. My questions are:

Full dose or 50% dose?

50% water change and carbon after 5 days or is it safe to just introduce carbon to absorb the medication?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to prophylacticly treat my fowlr display tank with prazipro. I have read that others do this without issue. My questions are:

Full dose or 50% dose?

50% water change and carbon after 5 days or is it safe to just introduce carbon to absorb the medication?

Thanks
Full dose. You can just use carbon but it is best to do both. For the treatment to really be effective you should dose the tank twice, 5 to 7 days apart.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full dose. You can just use carbon but it is best to do both. For the treatment to really be effective you should dose the tank twice, 5 to 7 days apart.

Thanks Brew, I appreciate your feedback and will follow suit. The instructions on the bottle are good but it always helps to get feedback from those like yourself with practical experience.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brew, I appreciate your feedback and will follow suit. The instructions on the bottle are good but it always helps to get feedback from those like yourself with practical experience.
Glad to help.

I will give a word of caution. There are a limited number of times you can treat a DT with Prazi before it becomes ineffective. I don't know how many times that is, but Prazi can be broken down by bacteria. The more often you use it the more of these bacteria you will have in your system. The next time you use it the Prazi will break down faster. So, I love using it proactively in a QT tank where you can break the tank down and sterilize it. I personally wouldn't use it proactively in a DT. If I were worried about symptoms in my fish I would use it without concern in a DT.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also consider that prazi is not so easy on the fish. I would not treat without diagnosed flukes.

All the Best,
christoph

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the wrasses was looking progressively worse after TTM, and a dip has shown quite the infestation of flukes. In hindsight I should have done prazi while TTM, but the copper was already harsh on the poor little guy.

I am starting them on prazi after FW dipping every fish (three wrasse, one firefish - all flukes to some degree visible), but can I combine any of the anti-bacterials during prazi use to prevent secondary infections? Skimming the replies didn't seem to have that stated.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, an hour later and the social wrasse (had problems in copper, was the one I was referencing above) stopped breathing.. guess the damage was done, it had tons come off during the dip.

Another one to chalk up to experience for the future, awful feeling though.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting them on prazi after FW dipping every fish (three wrasse, one firefish - all flukes to some degree visible), but can I combine any of the anti-bacterials during prazi use to prevent secondary infections? Skimming the replies didn't seem to have that stated.

I advise against mixing Prazipro with any antibiotics, unless it's absolutely needed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, an hour later and the social wrasse (had problems in copper, was the one I was referencing above) stopped breathing.. guess the damage was done, it had tons come off during the dip.

Another one to chalk up to experience for the future, awful feeling though.

Sorry for your loss :(

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns one breathing heavy one scratching I done a fw dip didn't see any flukes so I treated for 30 days with cupramine and the first 10 days with metroplex also cu levels we 4-5 ppm entire 30 days. After I done 3 days in prazi and repeated then waited a week and the clowns started head shaking and yawning done another fw dip noticed a few tiny white dots in water. My ? Is would you dose prazi again or general cure maybe

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back