Flukes – General Guidelines

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured this might help. I did a FW dip on a yellow eye kole tang who had a bad case of flukes. This is the results after 5 minutes. You can see the white ovals laying him and in the bottom of the bucket. Whoever is doing a fw dip looking for flukes, this is a good example.

1459813172723.jpg

1459813183075.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 Thanks for sharing. Did the fish make it?

Yes, so far so good. He's got a little infection going on from the flukes, but I'll be treating that starting wednesday. And I even did a detailed cost analysis for the store manager and got him to let me use Prazi in the fish only system now! woot!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. There were all sizes of them. The biggest showed up best for the camera of course! But it still gives a good idea of what to look for when doing a dip for flukes.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. There were all sizes of them. The biggest showed up best for the camera of course! But it still gives a good idea of what to look for when doing a dip for flukes.

It's great when you have a fish yawning and put him in FW dip and flukes come barreling off the fish at the 3 minute mark. You know the fish feels so much better. Then follow it up with Prazipro and you're golden.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great when you have a fish yawning and put him in FW dip and flukes come barreling off the fish at the 3 minute mark. You know the fish feels so much better. Then follow it up with Prazipro and you're golden.

A FW dip is every reefer's best friend in a fish disease emergency situation. It's free, you don't have to find it at some LFS, and it provides temporary relief for a wide range of ailments. Care must be taken to oxygenate and temperature match the water beforehand, but the more you do it the more you will become comfortable with it. In 35 years, the only fish I've lost to a FW dip are ones I didn't think would last much longer anyway.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. A freshwater dip is so easy and Ive performed hundreds at the LFS I work at. I havent lost a fish that wasnt already past saving. Heres a picture of how easy it is. We have specimen containers for bagging fish. I fill it with rodi water and hang it on the lip of the tank, inside the tank. I leave it there with an air line until the temps match then drop the fish in. I set my phone timer for 5 minutes and Im done! I put the fish back in his tank, and check to see what fell off - if anything.

1461370031109.jpg

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case of new arrivals do you go directly from the bag to the fresh water to the QT?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case of new arrivals do you go directly from the bag to the fresh water to the QT?

Not really. I was doing these freshwater dips on the fish at the LFS I work at. My fish at home go through TTM coupled with Prazi followed by observation. I don't usually dip any new fish because I'm planning on running Prazi on them anyway. It's just part of the routine at this point. :)

So they go straight into QT, which has been matched to the SG of our livestock tanks at work (because I get all my fish from work) that way they just get temp floated and released.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always thank you! I was concerned that the air stone could be overused, as it's been running all night. I'll remove it when I go home on lunch.

Is running the air stone the entire time while treating with Prazi an issue? I am confused by the above statement.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is running the air stone the entire time while treating with Prazi an issue? I am confused by the above statement.
Only issue I've ever had is the micro bubbles creating salt creep. You should be fine using an air stone, Prazi decreases the oxygen. So proper aeration is needed. Instead of an air stone I've used a small power head right at the waterline to draw in air into the water as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just causing ripples on the water's surface is enough to help oxygenate the water when using medications.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerning wrasses - whats the conservative dosage that is still effective? I have a trio that need deworming, and Im trying to walk that fine line between effective and sensitive. Would 2.3mg work, 2.0mg?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerning wrasses - whats the conservative dosage that is still effective? I have a trio that need deworming, and Im trying to walk that fine line between effective and sensitive. Would 2.3mg work, 2.0mg?

You would only slightly under dose and adding a third dose for go measure might be needed. For the record, I've never once had an issue with wrasses and prazi.

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a pain but not too hard to eradicate if your fish are not overwhelmed with them.

Question...my salefin developed cloudy eye so I'm treating with metaflix but I think he's suffering from fluke. Should I continue to treat for the cloudy with metaflix or do a big water change, run carbon and dose prazipro to address fluke? Thanks for your help

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back