Flukes – General Guidelines

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...my salefin developed cloudy eye so I'm treating with metaflix but I think he's suffering from fluke. Should I continue to treat for the cloudy with metaflix or do a big water change, run carbon and dose prazipro to address fluke? Thanks for your help

You can check for flukes with a Freshwater Dip. If that shows flukes, then treat with prazipro. melafix isn't likely to help with the eye infection. Kanaplex is better for that as it's readily absorbed into the skin of the fish and is a wide spectrum antibiotic.

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check for flukes with a Freshwater Dip. If that shows flukes, then treat with prazipro. melafix isn't likely to help with the eye infection. Kanaplex is better for that as it's readily absorbed into the skin of the fish and is a wide spectrum antibiotic.

Ok..I'm prepping a bucket of rodi water now. Got the air stones going and waiting for the temp to match the main tank's temp

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

It's hard to see what the sailfin looks like but the naso has this large discoloration on both side of his body. Does anyone know what this is?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this is?

Could be infection, could be something else. I'm actually concerned about the Mag Fox I see in the second picture. Is there a bubble on the tail and on the body near the head? Or is that a trick of the camera?

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be infection, could be something else. I'm actually concerned about the Mag Fox I see in the second picture. Is there a bubble on the tail and on the body near the head? Or is that a trick of the camera?

I double check when he come out of hiding. Spooked him when I went to catch the salfin

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerning wrasses - whats the conservative dosage that is still effective? I have a trio that need deworming, and Im trying to walk that fine line between effective and sensitive. Would 2.3mg work, 2.0mg?

2.0 mg/L is considered proper dosage for praziquantel; API General Cure achieves this (but also contains metronidazole).

Prazipro's 2.5 mg/L is slightly overdosed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro? Yes.

Typically corals/inverts are fine unless you have ornamental tube worms / feather dusters.

I have. I didn't experience any problems except a slight fading of some monties (fully recovered) and that's it. My feather dusters were fine along with the bristle worms I had.... unfortunately.

pmoneyt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great I will try it out. Did you shutdown your skimmer? what about carbon? was it used while the prozi was in the tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great I will try it out. Did you shutdown your skimmer? what about carbon? was it used while the prozi was in the tank?

The skimmer will go nuts. You can just run it without the collection cup so you don't lose the O2 that it pumps into the water. Take out any media made to absorb contaminants including carbon.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I had all my fish in QT for what I thought was velvet. Now that they are all back in the display tank they have started rubbing on the sand bed. I see no visible signs of any kind on their skin. I suspect they are trying to alleviate what ever is bothering their gills.

If I treat Prazipro directly to the reef tank, what will the negative affects be on the live rock ? It has worms of all kinds, barnacles, sponge, clams, snails etc, etc.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does praziquantel dosing come in during QT, before or after CP?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I had all my fish in QT for what I thought was velvet. Now that they are all back in the display tank they have started rubbing on the sand bed. I see no visible signs of any kind on their skin. I suspect they are trying to alleviate what ever is bothering their gills.

If I treat Prazipro directly to the reef tank, what will the negative affects be on the live rock ? It has worms of all kinds, barnacles, sponge, clams, snails etc, etc.

The only things it should bother are feather dusters and bristleworms. Though, I have yet to see or hear of an instance where either were wiped out by dosing prazi. It shouldn't bother your other critters or corals beyond mild irritation.

Where does praziquantel dosing come in during QT, before or after CP?

With CP, you can combine prazi treatment with cp but it must be in powdered form. You wont be able to combine the liquid prazipro with cp treatment. However, you can treat wtih it before OR after. Which depends on what is most important at the time.... like if the fish are displaying signs of velvet, then the prazi treatment can wait until after. If you believe they have flukes and nothing else of import is showing signs yet, then you could do it before cp. Does that make sense?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With CP, you can combine prazi treatment with cp but it must be in powdered form. You wont be able to combine the liquid prazipro with cp treatment. However, you can treat wtih it before OR after. Which depends on what is most important at the time.... like if the fish are displaying signs of velvet, then the prazi treatment can wait until after. If you believe they have flukes and nothing else of import is showing signs yet, then you could do it before cp. Does that make sense?

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I let the situation guide the order of treatment. What about general prophylactic treatment in QT, where I don't know if flukes are present or not, but I want to treat with prazi anyway. Run CP first, then prazi? Or do them simultaneously?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I let the situation guide the order of treatment. What about general prophylactic treatment in QT, where I don't know if flukes are present or not, but I want to treat with prazi anyway. Run CP first, then prazi? Or do them simultaneously?

In that case, do CP first, then prazi.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back